IGNORED

Virtual Jaguar for Mac: need for QT 4 Help help!

Felyx

Hi there,

I am a Mac user of Virtual Jaguar and once QT4 libraries are installed, it works really fine.

Now when I changed my Mac for a new one, I didn't save the QT libraries from the old Mac to reinstall them on the new one: Epic fail!

Because of that, I can't nolonger use Virtual Jaguar :(

Those QT libraries are mandatory but when I wanted to download them again I noticed they were nolonger available from Nokia website but now only from qt.io.

I can't download older version than QT 5 and it is now messy to install and just doesn't work at all, making VJ crash at start.

I am sending that bottle to the sea: can anyone who use VJ on Mac upload those libraries to I can get them back on my Mac?

Without VJ I can't test the home-brews and I can't get nice screenshots for the CD box covers I am drawing so it really sucks :(

post-29790-0-75216900-1452521285_thumb.png

Edited by Felyx

The main problem is that we have no Mac developers, and nobody willing to put in the time to make Qt and the various dependencies work on their Mac. It's a shame that there's no analogue to MXE (Windows cross-compile environment for Linux) for the Mac, that would make building it for the Mac as trivial as it is now for Windows. :P

• 2 weeks later...

All i need is somone who is using VJ on his Mac. he has to upload the old version of QT so I can get it and make it works on mine. I had it all on my previous Mac and did not saved QT ignoring it was nolonger downloadable :(((

The main problem is that we have no Mac developers, and nobody willing to put in the time to make Qt and the various dependencies work on their Mac. It's a shame that there's no analogue to MXE (Windows cross-compile environment for Linux) for the Mac, that would make building it for the Mac as trivial as it is now for Windows. :P

I've got a pretty decent dev environment on my Mac, I could give it a shot.

• Like 1

I eventually found the solution: the QT 4.8.5 libraries are downloadable from here:

https://download.qt.io/archive/qt/4.8/4.8.5/

It7d.jpg

Simply install that and then VJ 2.0.2 for Mac will run under Mac OS X Yosemite.

and VJ 2.0.2 for Mac is downloadable here: http://goldensdomain.com/vj/virtualjaguar-2.0.2-mac.zip

Edited by Felyx
  • Like 3

I still have an issue: VJ works but only once. I mean when launched for the first time after downloaded, VJ creates a log file and in its "insert cartridge" window it shows the content of the "software" folder so I can chose any rom I want to run as below:

V51e.jpg

Cool but now this window won't show any rom anymore if VJ has been closed and reopen.

When VJ is run again, the cartridge window stays empty:

gYjL.jpg

Deleting the log file doesn't fix it.

That problem is depiected here as well under os X Maverick: http://ngemu.com/threads/virtual-jaguar-2-1-0-mac-os-x-intel-only.155059/page-2

All I can do is deleting Vj and installing it again...a bit boring :o

Edited by Felyx

Sorry to have missed your post there. I have VJ running on my mac, although I did not have the QT .dmg you found. I had to build it myself... Painful.

And what have you done exactly to make it works without QT?

I downloaded the 2.1.0 version and have the same issue than with 2.0.2 :(

I noticed that VJ 210 doesn't create a log file at first run so I really don't know where to search to fix...

Edited by Felyx

I downloaded the 2.1.0 version and have the same issue than with 2.0.2 :(

I noticed that VJ 210 doesn't create a log file at first run so I really don't know where to search to fix...

If you launch it from a terminal and pass in the --log option, it will create a log file. That option is off by default. You should be able to see all the available options if you pass in --help as well (possibly; it doesn't work on Windows but it might on the Mac).

• Like 1

If you launch it from a terminal and pass in the --log option, it will create a log file. That option is off by default. You should be able to see all the available options if you pass in --help as well (possibly; it doesn't work on Windows but it might on the Mac).

Thank you Shamus for your help. I am not very familiar with the terminal and avoid to use it as much as I can (by using onyx for example for maintenance tasks).

I know very little like sudo command and not that much. Could you please let me know what I need to type to activate the log option?

As VJ was working perfectly on my previous iMac I suppose the problem is more related to the change of Mac OS version.

OK i just found a solution to bypass that cartridge selection issue: just assign the different files format to be open by VJ by default then when you want to run a rom, simply double click on it and it will open directly ion VJ, skipping the cartridge selection screen.

20UL.jpg

I did that for a rom of .abs, .cof, .rom and .j64 format and now i can run them easily even if that would be better to use the VJ cartridge selection screeen.

Of course don't forget to click on Modify All button otherwise you will have to start again for eveny new rom you want to run.

The issue is not fixed but at least it makes the use of VJ smarter than having to reinstall it every time.

Edited by Felyx

OK so this isn't so straight forward to compile on the Mac, I was able to make it complete up until the final linking stage where it craps out. I was able to compile and install SDL2 without issue, but it looks like it uses SDL1 and I need to download some additional files to get that to compile, as the headers themselves aren't enough.

Edit: Getting libsdl-1 to compile is a nightmare, I had to download a couple patches and they got me further, but still this is a nightmare. Not sure I'll want to invest time downloading and installing more and more stuff to get this to work.

Another edit: sym linking sdl2-config to sdl-config gets me almost where I need to be, final linking error still about certain files being for an older OS X version.

Edit: Getting libsdl-1 to compile is a nightmare, I had to download a couple patches and they got me further, but still this is a nightmare. Not sure I'll want to invest time downloading and installing more and more stuff to get this to work.

Another edit: sym linking sdl2-config to sdl-config gets me almost where I need to be, final linking error still about certain files being for an older OS X version.

There's a mini-guide in the INSTALL file that comes with VJ, did you look at that? Compiling SDL1 shouldn't be any problem whatsoever if you follow the way it tells you to (i.e., not using XCode but using the terminal 'the Unix way'). Making it work with SDL2 is in the works, but isn't there yet.

Thank you Shamus for your help. I am not very familiar with the terminal and avoid to use it as much as I can (by using onyx for example for maintenance tasks).

I know very little like sudo command and not that much. Could you please let me know what I need to type to activate the log option?

As VJ was working perfectly on my previous iMac I suppose the problem is more related to the change of Mac OS version.

In the Terminal, you have to navigate to where the VJ binary is (using cd). Then you type:

./virtualjaguar --log

and it will create a log file for that session. To see all the options available to you, you would type:

./virtualjaguar --help

There's a mini-guide in the INSTALL file that comes with VJ, did you look at that? Compiling SDL1 shouldn't be any problem whatsoever if you follow the way it tells you to (i.e., not using XCode but using the terminal 'the Unix way'). Making it work with SDL2 is in the works, but isn't there yet.

Yep, went through that. I had to download XQuartz to get the X11 headers, then that worked, but it crapped out on linking for some reason I couldn't figure out.