IGNORED

Supercharger and Wplaybin

BladeOfOsiris

Hello all!

Here's what's going on...

I have a supercharger that I would like to run wav. files off of my PC to emulate the .bin ROMs.

The problem is that the version of Wplaybin that I have is crashing on lots of games that are 2K and 4K. (Games above 4K won't run on the supercharger except the supercharger games)

I have version 1.1 of Wplaybin and it's giving me some trouble. I don't know how to use makewav, or else I would use that linux based program. So Wplaybin is crashing LOTS, and it only works when it wants to. I've been messing with the compatibility and Windows NT seems to work the best for it, but it's still crashing like crazy.

So the question is, Is there another easier program to covert these .bin atari roms into .wav files? Or am I doing something wrong? It's very strange.

Thanks for the help,

Blade

A Supercharger needs to be modified to play all games that are 4K or below, perhaps that is your issue.

That's not the issue, since multiple times I have loaded wav. files from Wplaybin to the supercharger and they have worked. Like the Official Frogger, and Pac Man 2K.

I think the problem lies within the Wplaybin program and it's compatibility issues with Windows 7.

Edited by BladeOfOsiris

You lost me on the "emulate" thing. Are you using a real supercharger with a real 2600? If so, what are you playing the wav file from? CD or directly from the PC? If you're plugging the supercharger directly into the audio output of your PC, you're probably getting enough background noise to screw things up.

Original cassettes have a side B with a lower baud rate for poor quality tape players. It's probably been 20 years since created WAV files, but I think even back then there was an option to lower the baud rate. That may be worth a try.

Also, as mentioned above, many games will not run without modifying the supercharger.

You lost me on the "emulate" thing.

I'm using a real supercharger with a real 2600. I'm outputting the .wav files that will work directly from my PC. However, I think the problem is Wplaybin's compatibility with my operating system. Every .bin file (under 6K) that doesn't crash the program loads fine on my real supercharger. The program crashes so often and it's very unstable on my OS, even with running it in every compatibility mode I can change it to.

Should I try to emulate Windows 95/98 on my PC to see if that fixes the crashes? Has anyone else successfully used Wplaybin recently?

I have version 1.1 of Wplaybin and it's giving me some trouble. I don't know how to use makewav, or else I would use that linux based program. So Wplaybin is crashing LOTS, and it only works when it wants to. I've been messing with the compatibility and Windows NT seems to work the best for it, but it's still crashing like crazy.

Makewav is not linux based, it is a command line utility available for both windows and linux. Put the executable "makewav.exe" and the roms in the same folder, then open the command prompt as explained in this page: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/27778-open-command-window-here.html

In order to convert, for example, the rom "game.bin" into a wav file just type:

makewav -ts game.bin

That's it. You should now have a "game.wav" file in that folder. you can play it as is, burn into an audio CD, or convert to mp3 (use high bitrate or it won't load). There are many options for the output so take a look at the "makewav.txt" file in the zip archive.

makewav4.2.zip

The playbin utlity is useful to load a binary to a supercharger without creating a wav file. I use the 2.3 version (in Linux using WINE) which was compatible with the Cuttle Cart but also works with the original Supercharger.

here is it (It once was available for download at http://www.schells.com/cuttlecart.shtml, but the site is down unfortunately):

Playbin23.zip

Note that some 2k games might need to be doubled to 4k for the supercharger and I don't remmeber if playbin and/or makewav do that automatically (I think they don't).

Also, check the "Supercharger conversion Hacks" thread in the Hack subforum here on AA.

• Like 1

Makewav is not linux based, it is a command line utility available for both windows and linux. Put the executable "makewav.exe" and the roms in the same folder, then open the command prompt as explained in this page: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/27778-open-command-window-here.html

In order to convert, for example, the rom "game.bin" into a wav file just type:

makewav -ts game.bin

Wow! Thank you so much @alex_79 for the info and files!

The supercharger mod looks way too intense for me though :/ Is there a service on AA that mods superchargers?

Edited by BladeOfOsiris

Slightly off topic, but would it be possible for me to run the linux version of macwav in OS X through the terminal?

It needs to be compiled for Mac. I took the source alex_79 posted and made some minor changes to get it to compile.

makewav4.2b.zip

Unzip the archive then put makewav where your ROMs are located. You have to use Terminal. To run it from the current directory type in:

./makewav

at which point you'll see all the options:

post-3056-0-02410100-1452716959_thumb.png

It's been a while since I've used makewav, though I do recall you must specify it's for the Supercharger with the -ts option. If you don't specify that it will generate files for the Cuttle Cart instead.

NOTE: I did not try to convert a ROM. There were a bunch of compiler warnings, so if you encounter problems let me know and I'll look into it.

• Like 2