IGNORED

Is anybody making rotary controllers any more?

Trooper Galactus

Getting hold of new controllers for a fair price is probably the most difficult part of it these days. This guy was making them fairly recently, he's often in the US and Europe IIRC, is a nice chap and adds zero's switch retaining d-pad for some mods:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/204666-t2k-rotaries-svid-av-cables/

• Like 1

Someone posted a thread about turning a Genesis (?) controller into a jag rotary. He posted a video and was going to post more details on the conversion. To me, that would be the best way to get a rotary on the jag, without having to mod a jag controller.

EDIT: Post in question is here.

Edited by Shamus

Someone posted a thread about turning a Genesis (?) controller into a jag rotary. He posted a video and was going to post more details on the conversion. To me, that would be the best way to get a rotary on the jag, without having to mod a jag controller.

EDIT: Post in question is here.

That'd be pretty awesome! Even better, it's a lot easier to get a six-button Genesis controller and modify that than buy one of the Pro Controllers for the Jaguar.

I'm still here guys. I've been making controllers nonstop (except for a short hiatus at the end of last year) since 2012. I'm also doing mods and the occasional svid AV cable. Those eBay postings are mine. I'm the only reliable source at the moment for rotary jag controllers. You can see my work all over the place. RetroGamingRoundup, Armchair Arcade, NowYourPlayingWith Podcast, BTB's The JagBar, RetroRGB, Ten Pence Arcade podcast and soon in an upcoming Jaguar Game by Game podcast from Shinto . I've always tried to be a positive spokesperson for the unique Jag fan scene, embracing all aspects of its personality.

I accept orders and requests over AA, Facebook (I have a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/RotaryControllers/) and of course from eBay as well.

Drop me a note if you have any questions!

• Like 5

I accept orders and requests over AA, Facebook (I have a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/RotaryControllers/) and of course from eBay as well.Drop me a note if you have any questions!

You make 3 different kinds of mods. One of the things holding me back is which one do I choose? What is the advantage of one type over another? Which one is best for playing Tempest?

It's mainly just personal preference. Front mount duo functionality is best for left handed dialing while maintaining use of the dpad for other games. The back mount is best for right handed dialing and the dedicated controller is for left handed dialing if you don't want dual functionality.

There isn't a "best", just what you like the most. I can put the dial pretty much anywhere on the controller by the way.

Edited by nicolaspersijn
  • Like 1

Just curious, was there ever a official Atari rotary controller for Jaguar?

No. It was planned, but never released. Jeff Minter used a modified 2600 rotary controller to test the rotary mode in Tempest 2000.

If not does this just send the same signal as the left/right d-pad inputs?

It uses the left/right D-pad inputs, but not like standard buttons. Thus custom code is needed in the game to support rotary mode.

• Like 3

I'm still here guys. I've been making controllers nonstop (except for a short hiatus at the end of last year) since 2012. I'm also doing mods and the occasional svid AV cable. Those eBay postings are mine. I'm the only reliable source at the moment for rotary jag controllers. You can see my work all over the place. RetroGamingRoundup, Armchair Arcade, NowYourPlayingWith Podcast, BTB's The JagBar, RetroRGB, Ten Pence Arcade podcast and soon in an upcoming Jaguar Game by Game podcast from Shinto . I've always tried to be a positive spokesperson for the unique Jag fan scene, embracing all aspects of its personality.

I accept orders and requests over AA, Facebook (I have a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/RotaryControllers/) and of course from eBay as well.

Drop me a note if you have any questions!

Hi Nicolas,

Just wondering - how much do your Composite / S-Video cables cost? I'm tempted to buy at least two if the price is right :)

Edited by skip

No. It was planned, but never released. Jeff Minter used a modified 2600 rotary controller to test the rotary mode in Tempest 2000.

It uses the left/right D-pad inputs, but not like standard buttons. Thus custom code is needed in the game to support rotary mode.

Interesting, thanks for the info.