IGNORED

BASIC Tenliners Contest 2016

Bunsen

FORTKNOX - 10-liner by Kevin Savetz (PUR-120)

post-803-0-37924900-1453772257_thumb.png

Move the joystick to collect the diamonds, avoiding the robot guards. When your timer runs out, the game ends. Touching a guard decreases your timer dramatically; getting a diamond increases it a little. Your final score is the maximum amount the timer attained during the game. There are 9 levels: as they increase, the guards do more damage (decreasing your time more dramatically) and there are fewer prizes to increase your time.

Programming notes at http://atariaction.tumblr.com/post/138055691187/fortknox

FORTKNOX.atr

• Like 10

For those who want to show the listing of their programs in ATASCII, I've modified my ATASCII Printer to list up to 120 chars per line for PUR-120 category entries. Just upload your LST file and select proper options... then copy&paste or save the resulting image. Of course, you could also print your tokenized files (only Atari BASIC and TurboBASIC XL are allowed) just like a LIST would do in the screen (38 or 40 chars per line).

Actually, I already used it to list my own entry, and I'm stil thinking if I'll release it before the contest.

• Like 2

I agree with both - Savetz and Vitoco. Releasing the code and explaining it like Savetz does is great, you can learn a lot. But holding some games secret and surprising people at NOMAM and people on ATARiAge and ABBUC is also exciting. I am happy that we can combine these two great concepts in one contest.

For those who want to show the listing of their programs in ATASCII, I've modified my ATASCII Printer to list up to 120 chars per line for PUR-120 category entries. Just upload your LST file and select proper options... then copy&paste or save the resulting image. Of course, you could also print your tokenized files (only Atari BASIC and TurboBASIC XL are allowed) just like a LIST would do in the screen (38 or 40 chars per line).

Actually, I already used it to list my own entry, and I'm stil thinking if I'll release it before the contest.

Your ATASCII Printer is amazing. It would have saved some bloody pain during arranging the Tenliners Book 2014.

• Like 1

If you are using TurboBASIC XL, you are already using an ATR image in the emulator. You can SAVE (or LIST) your program to that disk, or you can do it over a new disk. In ATARI80WinPLus you can "create" a new disk using the the Drive Selection popup. Activate it using Alt-D, then create a Single Density disk, naming it as the ATR you want. Then you have to mount it as drive D2: and format it using DOS from the same disk you've already booted.

Hope this helps...

How do I mount it and format it?

Very nice, you might have a winner here, perhaps a little on the easy side though the perfect score is something to aim for. Having the chasing guys circle round is a bit different :thumbsup:

post-19705-0-75172100-1453939104_thumb.png

Now I'm wondering if I can squeeze in the character redefinition for Gravity X but I think I'm maxed out on all 10 lines :ponder:

I agree with both - Savetz and Vitoco. Releasing the code and explaining it like Savetz does is great, you can learn a lot. But holding some games secret and surprising people at NOMAM and people on ATARiAge and ABBUC is also exciting. I am happy that we can combine these two great concepts in one contest.

sit on the fence why don't you :D

how about release the code and make them type it in old school ;)

Another 256-character EXTREM-256 entry.

Vehicle traffic on the intergalactic superhighway is at an all time high. Spaceships and satellites zoom through the skies at a breakneck pace. The Intergalactic Chairperson for Traffic and Commerce is taking action to reduce the scourge of space traffic: randomly blowing up as many commuters as possible. Your job as an intergalactic traffic enforcement officer is to destroy as many vehicles as possible.

Your earnings depend on how many vehicles you destroy during your shift. The faster a vehicle is traveling, the more you’ll earn. And those little personal satellites are so small and fast and annoying, the Intergalactic Chairperson pays a big bonus for destroying those. She also keeps close track of your accuracy. Space laser beams aren’t cheap, you know.

Your job requires one standard issue joystick controller. If you choose to team up with a partner during your duty shift, he or she will also need a joystick controller.

TRAFFIC.atr

post-803-0-43232700-1454973565_thumb.png

More details at http://atariaction.tumblr.com/post/138952621597/traffic

• Like 8

Hi!,

Another 256-character EXTREM-256 entry.[/size]

Vehicle traffic on the intergalactic superhighway is at an all time high. Spaceships and satellites zoom through the skies at a breakneck pace. The Intergalactic Chairperson for Traffic and Commerce is taking action to reduce the scourge of space traffic: randomly blowing up as many commuters as possible. Your job as an intergalactic traffic enforcement officer is to destroy as many vehicles as possible.[/size]

Your earnings depend on how many vehicles you destroy during your shift. The faster a vehicle is traveling, the more youll earn. And those little personal satellites are so small and fast and annoying, the Intergalactic Chairperson pays a big bonus for destroying those. She also keeps close track of your accuracy. Space laser beams arent cheap, you know.

Your job requires one standard issue joystick controller. If you choose to team up with a partner during your duty shift, he or she will also need a joystick controller.

Good game!

With the help of my basicParser tool, a little reordering and shortening the texts, you can transform this to a 120 character "PUR-120" entry, see the attached source and listing:

post-18634-0-93909800-1454988395_thumb.png

The source: traffic-120.txt

The atari listing: TRAFFIC.LST

• Like 5

I've tried to reach Apple II community and Robotron (KC/85 - East German Computer) community - without success.

I've got little response from C16/Plus 4 users and VIC20 users, also from Amstrad CPC users. Maybe we will see something for these platforms.

I would be happy if everybody could help and spread the information about BASIC Tenliners in different 8 bit communities/forums/groups.

• Like 1

As I see on the list there is a new Atari 8-bit entry: "Pipeliners micro" by Sleepy. Unfortunately, again no possibility to download a file :(

I guess that's because most of us want to surprise the assistants at the NOMAM event.

Anyway, you can try my next submission that currently is a work in progress, but almost ready:

Alpha vs Numeric: "The Front Line"

Alphabetics are in war against Numerics. Each army is sending their soldiers to the battles. As a mediator, you must call every soldier by their name and pick them out before the armies come in contact or one army come across the whole battlefield. Each soldier you pick from the field gives you a point. You can only call soldiers that are in the front of each row. If there are many soldiers with the same name as the first in a line, you'll earn extra points, but if you call someone that is not in in the front line, extra soldiers would be send to the field. You must pick 200 soldiers to declare a battle as draw, but new soldiers are sent more quickly as time runs, so you need to be fast enough. Every next battle will be faster and will begin with more soldiers in the field.

post-20192-0-65313600-1456008870_thumb.png

This game is a keyboard challenge, and will be an entry for the PUR-120 category. This is the listing:

post-20192-0-46248700-1456007146_thumb.png

The ALPHANUM-PREVIEW.ATR attachment includes DOS and TurboBASIC XL. Note that it starts very slow, but the speed constantly increases...

Comments? Please let me know if I miss something.

ALPHANUM-PREVIEW.ATR

• Like 7