IGNORED

BASIC Tenliners Contest 2016

Bunsen

( . . . )

The ALPHANUM-PREVIEW.ATR attachment includes DOS and TurboBASIC XL. Note that it starts very slow, but the speed constantly increases...

Comments? Please let me know if I miss something.

Thanks, Vitoco for sharing it with us, interesting gameplay idea :)

What I would suggest: currently there is a big disproportion between two sides: I mean it's much faster to enter one digit than select a letter and also it's easier to read from left to right than from right to left. So in my opinion it would be better to change the sides between numbers and letters: put numbers to the left and letters to the right.

• Like 1

Thanks, Vitoco for sharing it with us, interesting gameplay idea :)

Thank you for trying it! I'm glad you liked the idea.

What I would suggest: currently there is a big disproportion between two sides: I mean it's much faster to enter one digit than select a letter and also it's easier to read from left to right than from right to left. So in my opinion it would be better to change the sides between numbers and letters: put numbers to the left and letters to the right.

In fact, I also noticed that after my first test play, but I used that as a strategy to finish a battle: try to keep clean the side of the letters until them appear too fast or the numbers reaches the center of the field, then remove all the numbers...

Anyway, I agree with you and changed the sides and tried it: this time I reached battle 6, but that battle was too fast, so I also relaxed the timming formula, so now the starting pause's difference between battles is not so high.

post-20192-0-24156100-1456105704_thumb.png

Please try this new preview and tell me which was the higest battle you could reach.

ALPHANUM-PREVIEW-REV.ATR

• Like 3

Blitz in 9 Lines, for the Atari 2600 VCS

0 data city 1,4,2,5,3,2,3,1,4,1,1,1,5,2,2,3,1,4,1,4,3,1,4,4,1,1,2,2,3,1,3,4,5,4,4,3,4,5,1,2,4,1,5,2,2,3,1,3,1,1,4,1
1 if g=0 then for j=0 to 7:player1(j)=189:player0(j)=pl(j):next j:BYTErowoffset=120:COLUPF=$84:COLUP0=$b4 else goto 3
2 for j=20 to 71:k=j-20:k=city(k)+14:for i=k to 19:vwpixel(j,i,on):next i,j:player0y=88:player0x=94:COLUP1=$74:y=20
3 COLUBK=0:AUDV0=0:g=1:scrollvirtualworldtoggle=1:BITIndex=BITIndex+1:data pl 0,224,127,231,252,192,128,0:rem bitmap
4 if joy0fire=1 and y>=20 then AUDF0=6:AUDC0=8:AUDV0=15:x=BITIndex+11:y=11:i=88-player0y:i=i/10:y=y+i
5 if y<21 then vwpixel(x,y,bindplayer1):j=y-10:y=y+1:COLUP1=M(j):data M $64,$54,$b4,$a4,$32,$44,$24,$c4,$94,$f4,$54
6 if y<=19 and vwpixel(x,y,poll)>0 then vwpixel(x,y,flip):player1x=0:player1y=0:AUDC0=y:y=20:AUDF0=4:AUDV0=15
7 if BITIndex>71 then BITIndex=0:player0y=player0y-2:rem player flies lower each pass over the smoothly scrolling city
8 if CXP0FB>126 then CXCLR=0:g=0:for i=0 to 255:AUDF0=i:AUDV0=i:COLUBK=$34:next i:rem check collision, restart game

Language: Tiny BASIC
Category: Pur-120

About:

This game mirrors the format of the VIC-20 game Blitz except the CityScape is scrolling by at 30 FPS of super smooth animation never before seen on the Atari VCS!

The game borrows from the StarBlitz codebase (a Defender style super-smooth shoot 'em up) so some of the effects will require real unmodified hardware and an antique NTSC Television to see, like the artifact colors and plasma:

post-30777-0-43747500-1456268325.jpgpost-30777-0-33086000-1456268297.jpgpost-30777-0-68905200-1456268309_thumb.jpg

Like StarBlitz, 9LineBlitz generates a unique 30 hz signal like NTSC Television but without the alternating field effects to subliminally enhance the gaming experience.

9LineBlitz is hard and specifically designed as a psi test to measure ESP when the real hardware is used; if the player can clear the screen, please send the author a pm to discuss participating in another voluntary pilot study.

Launching the BASIC program in the Emulator or running it on the real hardware:

The Emulator Stella (version 4.x) may be used, but use Windows 7 and not Windows 10; an unresolved bug can shake the display apart in the emulator on Windows 10. Also do not turn on phosphor in the emulator or it will break the game (not currently supported at 30 FPS). Artifact colors and plasma effects will also be lost but this is expected and occurs even with the real hardware on PAL Televisions and with most composite mods.

If you download the Tiny BASIC from http://RelationalFramework.com/vwBASIC.htm, you can compile the BASIC listing for 9LineBlitz above (just save it as c:\vwBASIC\program.txt) and launch it in the emulator with one click (see the read me file), or just load the compiled ROM:

9LineBlitz.bin

Interesting fact:

Both games can be loaded into the Atari from cassette tape with the StarPath SuperCharger, a 6K RAM expansion board for the Atari 2600 released in 1982. The Tiny BASIC runtime fits in 2K of the board and the remaining 4K of RAM is available for running Tiny BASIC programs. Much roomier than an Altair with the 4K expansion board.

More Information:

The StarBlitz ROM and more information on the 30 hz effect can be found at: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248509-starblitz/

• Like 6

This is my first time entering the tenliners contest: Here goes:

NUTS!

See here for a description of the code.

Wow! It's somehow difficult... and funny!

I've checked the code in your page and I found a bug (I guess)... Line 8 says:

K=K+KDIV5

but should say:

K=K+K DIV5

with a space... It seems that we are loosing some points in our score, because KDIV5 as a variable has a constant value of 0.

Thanks for sharing it!

Vitico: thanks for the bug report! Good catch. Now all the sudden my own score is much higher. I updated my github respository and attached the corrected ATR below.

I've checked the code in your page and I found a bug (I guess)... Line 8 says:

K=K+KDIV5

but should say:

K=K+K DIV5

with a space... It seems that we are loosing some points in our score, because KDIV5 as a variable has a constant value of 0.

NUTS.atr

I would be happy if everybody could help and spread the information about BASIC Tenliners in different 8 bit communities/forums/groups.

As you may have observed, there are subsections of AtariAge frequented by Apple ][ and in particular TI-99/4A users. It is starting to run a bit late - deadline March 28 - but perhaps you can post here for TI and here for Apple.

There also is an active community with IntyBASIC for the Intellivision.

Please try this new preview and tell me which was the higest battle you could reach.

Thanks for the new version, Vitoco.

I'm sorry for a delay in my response, I've found some time for playing today and I have reached battle 12.

Edited by +Adam+

Thanks for the new version, Vitoco.

I'm sorry for a delay in my response, I've found some time for playing today and I have reached battle 12.

Wow! I think you had to relax your hands for a while before posting this :D

I'm now writing a description page for this game, and I did a small change to it: before, the side of the new soldier was selected ramdomly; now, soldiers appear in turn from each side. But I'm not sure if this is better for the difficulty pairing.

• Like 1

Rafał, maybe it would be a good idea to display also cannon parameters (power and angle of the shot)? Or would it make the game too easy for the player?

They can be read indirectly from the graphical representation of the cannon (the longer the cannon the more powerful shot). I would probably have trouble squeezing anything more into the source code, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Great game! My Hiscore: 10072.

Thank-you for the reply! I had a lot of fun writing it. I just modified to make it a bit harder and have practiced a bit. You now get 3 lives to start and one additional life for each level advanced. I also doubled the acceleration of gravity to make it more challenging. The slingshot effect is pretty significant!

Had a couple of goes on some of the recent games:

Graviten
Ha! I nearly called Gravity X Graviten!
Very nice indeed, looks good and more importantly controls well; better than some of the commercial games.

5430 The text display was not aligned at the end of the go.
Hope you will create a version with some varying playfields, perhaps not in 10 lines!

Equilibrium
I was expecting Gwobby to walk the line. Took me a while to figure out you had to wait at the start before moving (hold stick U/D). Does it get more difficult?

Alphanum
very nice and shows just how bad my typing is!

Nuts,
Fantastic - 305 no penalty for missing them - might be better to end the go. Would be ideal for a HSC bonus game.

Duck Hunt
Line colour hides if over existing line
Crying out for some sound effects Exploding Duck!

Traffic
Not played 2 player but looks very good, some derogatory ratings would be fun. How about a paddles version too ;)

Hope some of you will enter something in the abbuc contest :)

• Like 1

Just minutes short of the deadline I finally managed to finish what I started for the 2015 contest. It is a retro take on my childrens' favourite non-Atari game. (There would have been space for more features but not enough time to implement them.)

My 14-year old son's entry is attached as well. He actually finished well ahead of me and required but very little advice.

OSS Basic XL and 1 Joystick required.

---
BASIC XL has a lot of space-saving features without which this wouldn't have been possible. (MOVE, DPEEK/DPOKE, multiple IF:ELSE:ENDIF per line).

Steinkraft.atr

Avoid.atr

A-V-O-I-D_Einfuehrung.txt

• Like 3

Here's the source code:

[steinKraft]

Any chance to view the code with abbreviations? This is the first program I see that it was written in OSS Basic XL, and I'm curious. It called my attention a REM statement in the middle of line 7. In Atari BASIC, all the text after the REM is part of the comment. In this case, is the comment terminated by the "ball" char?

I tried SteinKraft in Altirra using v1.03 ROM of Basic XL, but it seems to be hard to control "Steve", because I couldn't pick up and place blocks where I want. BTW, should blocks stop the zombie? It seems he is able to cross the walls of my shelter!!!

I also tried your son's game AVOID! It's very nice... :)

Picking and dropping blocks is indeed a bit tricky (in true 1980s instructions spirit I should probably state that you're shivering from fear as you're pursued =;-)

I don't think that ball actually belongs in line 7 but have to check when I come home. I can also post the 'long' version (before concatenating lines) which is easier to read.

Shelter walls will just slow down the Zombie. Otherwise it would be too easy to stay in the safe.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

Edited by slx