IGNORED

I figured you would appreciate this

(First post. Long time lurker, couldn't remember my login info)

BwyPC4D.jpg

pzNxEIl.jpg

So, after a ton of convincing, I finally got the wife on board with getting a floor model console TV. First, a little background information.

Several years ago I picked up a Atari Flashback 2. I loved it to death. So naturally when they released a Sega Genesis, Colecovision and Intellivision Flashback, I had to have them. After all, I'm one of those, "I'd rather emulate than damage my rapidly aging hardware" people.

Well, after my trusty CRT died, I decided to just use the big TV in the living room. After all, that was most convenient for those quick late night nostalgia trips. However, it never felt right.

Well after about the 50th time hearing, "Wow! Those games look like hot dog poop" I decided it was time to get another CRT; but which one?

After searching for a SCART monitor, I finally decided that for optimum nostalgia, a floor TV was required. For a while I was after a early to mid eighties model, until I came across a late 2002 Zenith 27" console. It was perfect! PiP tuner, multiple rca inputs, component inputs. Plus, it was only twenty bucks. Sold!

So, a three-and-a-half hour drive later it was sitting in my living room next to the 55" LED. I gotta tell you, it was worth it. These games look amazing. My kids don't even bother the Xbox anymore. It's all, "Can we play Sonic? When can we play Pitfall? I want to play Mario!"...

...and I've never been prouder.

tl;dr: Bought a new TV for gaming. Works great!

• Like 17

My 4 year old has no real value associated with graphics. It's an experience I can't really relate to, being shown Xbox One, Wii U and NES or Genesis graphics all at the same time. He has no concept on the progression or state of the art. It's just a different game to him. Same thing with him "I want the donkey game!" "Can I play Stonic?" (sonic).

Sweet TV, I dig the vibe.

• Like 1

I knew that this was the place to talk about this. My wife seems to think I'm "de-evolving" with the rest of the technological world. While everyone else is getting 80" 4K HDTVs and Xbox Ones, I'm doing this. I guess it doesn't help matters that I already had a unfinished arcade machine project :lol:

kuWQmF5.jpg

Edited by Boozle061083

My wife seems to think I'm "de-evolving" with the rest of the technological world.

The trick to that is to evolve the "de-evolved" tech into something modern and a console TV is easy to do that with. Fake console fireplace entertainment centers like this are considered modern:

51AEGfjGFSL._SY300_.jpg

So, all that needs to be done is putting your flat panel TV on top of a console TV and then play a fireplace DVD on it.

• Like 2

The trick to that is to evolve the "de-evolved" tech into something modern and a console TV is easy to do that with. Fake console fireplace entertainment centers like this are considered modern:

51AEGfjGFSL._SY300_.jpg

So, all that needs to be done is putting your flat panel TV on top of a console TV and then play a fireplace DVD on it.

That's actually a fantastic idea. I can see stocking hangers at Christmas time sealing the deal

• Like 1

I thought so! We had that exact same TV when I was growing up! I remember when I was 4 or 5 (around 1989) going to the Southshore Mall in Aberdeen to buy it with my dad! We kept it until I was a sophomore in High School around 2000.

Got some good NES playing on that TV

That's actually a fantastic idea. I can see stocking hangers at Christmas time sealing the deal

Yeah, that would work. Another benefit is you don't have to worry about your kids turning up the heat. We have had that happen and too much wattage destroyed half of the house's electricity. I don't trust those or space heaters. Also, you could have more than one fireplace DVD instead of just one like the fake fireplaces. Or have a video of an aquarium. Or have a PlayStation do its Atari Video Music like thing to a CD while playing something else on the flat panel. Or be creative in other ways.

These are all great ideas. Now I'm toying with the idea of putting a spare subwoofer I have from a old multimedia speaker set inside the console box and playing old music videos at parties like a sort of video juke box. There's plenty of spare room for it inside and it already has a nice sounding speaker system with digital surround sound. My wife also likes the idea of running a aquarium DVD on it.

However, I don't want to destroy the nostalgia by making things "too good" if that makes any sense. What do you guys think?

Ahh, well it brought back memories of our old RCA anyway lol. Looks identical

We had a floor model RCA that looked a lot like that when I was growing up also. My dad wouldn't allow me to hook the Atari up to it so I had a small black and white TV that I used until I got Starmaster for my birthday in July 1982. The instructions stated that it needed a color TV to be played. My dad still wouldn't allow me to use the floor model TV so I also got to upgrade to a small color RCA TV in my bedroom. I think I had to save to pay half of it but it was still the best birthday present I had ever gotten at that point in time.

We had a floor model RCA that looked a lot like that when I was growing up also. My dad wouldn't allow me to hook the Atari up to it so I had a small black and white TV that I used until I got Starmaster for my birthday in July 1982. The instructions stated that it needed a color TV to be played. My dad still wouldn't allow me to use the floor model TV so I also got to upgrade to a small color RCA TV in my bedroom. I think I had to save to pay half of it but it was still the best birthday present I had ever gotten at that point in time.

We had a unusual looking Sony floor console TV when I was growing up. It's funny because the only picture I could find of it was right here on AA posted by tta583:

UqEOPqg.jpg

We used to play Atari 2600, C64 and Atari XE on it. Unfortunately it died and became a TV stand for the NES and new TV. I always wanted that feeling back of sitting on the floor and playing games. Nothing beats it.

Edited by Boozle061083

We had a unusual looking Sony floor console TV when I was growing up. It's funny because the only picture I could find of it was right here on AA posted by tta583:

UqEOPqg.jpg

We used to play Atari 2600, C64 and Atari XE on it. Unfortunately it died and became a TV stand for the NES and new TV. I always wanted that feeling back of sitting on the floor and playing games. Nothing beats it.

Wish I can still do that. Old age means it's hard for me to sit on the floor for long and hard for me to get back up.

• Like 1