IGNORED

Stella and Windows XP

stephena

I've had several people report that Stella isn't working in Windows XP. I've only been able to test in XP_ServicePack3, and then only in a virtual machine. I no longer have access to machines running WindowsXP, either in 32 or 64-bit mode.

So a few questions:

(a) How many of you are actually still using Stella in Windows XP.

(b) Are any of you experiencing problems in Windows XP?

I'm asking this mostly for modifying the webpage to list the compatible versions of Windows. There's nothing I can actually do about it, since the latest versions of Visual Studio will be phasing out support for WinXP soon.

No problem here. It does need service pack 3. For the newer releases.

I use a newer updated XP that I downloaded last summer. Has all the newer hardware drivers up to 2014!

Got a lot of programs and games that won't work with newer versions of windows.

I still have older versions of Stella that work well enough with service pack 2.

I use XP for all my arcade cabinents running MAME and other emulators.

• 2 years later...

I decided to use one of my old XP gaming laptops to develop Atari games but I couldn't get any the newer versions of Stella to work on XP with service pak 3. When you launch Stella it flashes a few times then program shuts down. I kind of wonder if it has something to do with the render options? DirectX problem maybe.

I went through all the versions and the last version that works is 3.9.3 but for some reason it stretches the game. 3.9.3 works fine for me but is there a way to get the screen to be normal and not stretched in 3.9.3?

Edited by waderain

On one of my vintage rigs, I can cash/lockup the emulator by changing some graphics options, in-program. But I'm not too concerned about it since it isn't my main emu rig.

Perhaps you can use the command-line to use different graphics options or manually specify opengl, direct3d or software or something like that.

What graphics chip do you have?

On one of my vintage rigs, I can cash/lockup the emulator by changing some graphics options, in-program. But I'm not too concerned about it since it isn't my main emu rig.

Perhaps you can use the command-line to use different graphics options or manually specify opengl, direct3d or software or something like that.

What graphics chip do you have?

Tried changing graphic settings, general computer settings and running it from a command line with no success.I tried it on another computer I have with XP, does the flicker then the same shut down but 3.9.3 works fine on both. Some small setting must of gotten changed between version 3.9 and version 4. It's working for what I need it to do but I wish I could change the screen stretch. It's like there should be a "choose to fit" option that needs to be turned off but I can't find it. There is a zoom option but it only makes it bigger.

My laptop is running a relic Intel Core 2 Duo with a Nvidia GeForce Go 8600M GT, very old but still works great

Edited by waderain