IGNORED

Apple IIe keeps rebooting

Nebulon

My Apple ][e keeps rebooting by itself. It works fine for awhile, and then spontaneously reboots.

When I first got it this happened too. It turned out the power cable was a bit loose. So I pressed it in nice and firm and it worked great for over a year.

Lately though, it's been doing this again.

Thoughts?

Well, I went and took a look in the power socket. Looks good. No obstructions.

Then I tried a different power cable. It's in there snug, but it still reboots after awhile.

Interestingly, it seems to restart whenever I approach the PC that's next to it. Either it's jealous, or maybe when the LCD screen pops on again, it draws just enough power that the Apple's supply voltage dips?

... just a theory...

• 2 weeks later...

Note, I'm not familiar with the Apple IIe power supply, but it sounds to me like the female side of the power cord is having an issue.

Here's an image of what this may look like ... http://img.everychina.com/pic/29290810-300x300-0/ac_power_connector_rectangular_i_o_connectors_acf_pq4pa_03_ac_solder_male_03p.jpg

If you have replaced the cord, and the issue happens as you approach the computer - the slight vibration on the desk/floor may be enough to trigger a reboot because of a loose connection on the power-supply side.

It may not be a matter of the cord being "snug" - but more of a matter of it applying force to the female side of the connection at the right angle. If the cord is drooping low, try using some tape temporarily to push it left, right, up or down. If you get more reliability with these methods, you know it may be time to open the power-supply to see what's going on in there.

Note, I'm not familiar with the Apple IIe power supply, but it sounds to me like the female side of the power cord is having an issue.

Here's an image of what this may look like ... http://img.everychina.com/pic/29290810-300x300-0/ac_power_connector_rectangular_i_o_connectors_acf_pq4pa_03_ac_solder_male_03p.jpg

If you have replaced the cord, and the issue happens as you approach the computer - the slight vibration on the desk/floor may be enough to trigger a reboot because of a loose connection on the power-supply side.

It may not be a matter of the cord being "snug" - but more of a matter of it applying force to the female side of the connection at the right angle. If the cord is drooping low, try using some tape temporarily to push it left, right, up or down. If you get more reliability with these methods, you know it may be time to open the power-supply to see what's going on in there.

Hmmm.... Interesting. Thanks for that.

The cord's been replaced: same behavior.

Next I'll try an isolated line on a different circuit.

And then I'll move on to what you've mentioned here. I sure hope it isn't the power supply. Knowing the Apple II machines, the power supply is likely very fixable.

Anyone out there fixed an Apple IIe power supply? (just curious to know what I might be in for).