IGNORED

Super TI-99 Mario Bros (F18A required)

Asmusr

Although I'm not a programmer, I'm curious as this thing gets bigger with multiple levels, are you going to be tying them all together and just carry the score over to the next game block somehow?

If you're asking whether each world would be a self contained program then the answer is no. The program would be fixed and only data would be loaded from either disk or rom.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought it too, I didn't think it was that good for an XB game either. ;) I remember their Micropendium ad "Pushes the TI to it's limits!" I always felt gypped by that one. ;) My biggest frustration with it, besides that it has a really loose idea of the concept of gameplay, was that it crashed a lot. It also took about 5 minutes to load the assembly support routines. It just didn't feel finished, it felt rushed out.

I had two of their other games, a monster truck game and a top-down shooter. Never was spectacular, and they felt like the same game rotated 90 degrees, but they were stable, had good graphics, and played well. Better examples of what Baker could do IMO. :)

Wonder where they ended up?

• Like 1

I bought it, along with most of the Baker Software titles back then. It is in Extended BASIC and it isn't all that great from a Mario standpoint, but it is OK as an Extended BASIC game. . .I'm not sure where my disk for it is now though.

I would like to try it if you find the disk.

After a long break away from this project I have finally made some progress. This version has 3 levels and two secret chambers. My data model no longer allows me to accurately copy the original, I cannot make the moving platforms, for instance. I'm not sure how much further I'm going with this, but try it out (on real hardware if you can) and let me know if you find any problems.

post-35226-0-52613400-1458325327_thumb.png

MARIO.dsk

• Like 5

After a long break away from this project I have finally made some progress. This version has 3 levels and two secret chambers. My data model no longer allows me to accurately copy the original, I cannot make the moving platforms, for instance. I'm not sure how much further I'm going with this, but try it out (on real hardware if you can) and let me know if you find any problems.

attachicon.gifscreenshot.png

Is it just me having issues to load/start it ?

1. Real TI + F18A + NanoPeb, does not load Mario1 (EA OPT5), it loads EA OPT 3 Mario (but I do not know the pgm start word)

2. Classic99 loads, but graphics are not okay because of F18A emulation

3. JS99er.net (Chrome and Internet Explorer) loads via EA OPT5, MARIO1, but only shows the intro screen (no sound, no Mario character)

Is it just me having issues to load/start it ?

1. Real TI + F18A + NanoPeb, does not load Mario1 (EA OPT5), it loads EA OPT 3 Mario (but I do not know the pgm start word)

2. Classic99 loads, but graphics are not okay because of F18A emulation

3. JS99er.net (Chrome and Internet Explorer) loads via EA OPT5, MARIO1, but only shows the intro screen (no sound, no Mario character)

With JS99er.net you have to press Tab (mapped to joystick fire) to start the game. During the game you jump with up and fire is run.

I haven't tried it on a NanoPEB, but it loads fine from my real PEB with HxC.

Changed the nanoPEB, all working now.

Amazing that you get this quality on a TI-99/4A, really enjoyed it.

Hope to see more coming up.

(Here is some positive improvement feedback when playing, ):

1. Score resets to 000000 after playing (I had around 76400)

2. In the underground level, just before the end (green tube) it is possible

to jump on top of the screen and walk through into another room

(but you get locked and need to count down until 0 seconds)

After that a small Mario comes back in the wall (and you need to jump 3x times

before back on the floor and enter the green tube)

3. Sometimes after the Luis (white Mario) moving to next level it becomes a small

Mario again.

4. When jumping on turtles, I believe the turtles move away (need to check with the real game)

5. Also I believe it is possible to shoot with normal Mario and Super Mario (and not only with Louis)

6. Sometimes it looks like Mario walks too fast (or something like that, I am using a TI-99/4A Beige version, non-QI, USA 60 Hz)

7. The floor platforms do not move (as you mentioned).

(I used to compare it with letsplaynes Mario, but their website is gone, I am trying to find a similar one)

I used this online emulator to compare (after seeing the commercial, press start in the middle)

you also can configure the buttons to play (z, x): http://www.playretrogames.com/3171-super-mario-bros

8. when Mario walks from the level he reaches the green tube (it seems he walks a bit too fast ?)

Forget about item 4,5 (my mistake):

>> 4. When jumping on turtles, I believe the turtles move away (need to check with the real game)

>> 5. Also I believe it is possible to shoot with normal Mario and Super Mario (and not only with Louis)