IGNORED

Super TI-99 Mario Bros (F18A required)

Asmusr

Hi @Asmusr

I used the version at js99er.net  (not 100% if that is the latest version, because the issue you fixed still is there

I have fixed the issue with fire Mario turning red (issue 3)")

love the game and port that this is possible on the TI-99/4A! 

Question 1 -  Would all the 32 levels fit for a TI-99/4A port?  (Ref: https://www.mariowiki.com/Category:Super_Mario_Bros._levels)

Review / feedback:

Here are some "glitches" I see when playing the game.

a.  World 1-2 -- hitting the stone is unlimited to get coins, once 99 is reached it goes back to 00.

b.  Cannot collect the 3x coins (coming from the right side).  See also item l. (then the coins can be collected)

c.  when hitting the coin on the top (ceiling wall), then the WORLD is missing the RL

and the dash (-) and sublevel is not visible.   Later the sublevel comes back, but the dash is still missing, see item f. 

d. Lift platforms are not moving  (probably expected, maybe not implemented):

e. After continuing walking over the top path and ending in the cheat area (or it is know to jump via a pipe to other levels)

No pipes are shown and there is no way to escape until the timer is 0.

f.  when returning, Mario is stuck in the wall, need to jump 3x times to get out of it.

(and the sublevel is back, but the dash is missing).

g.  Time is reset back to 400 seconds.

h. Horizontal platforms are not moving (probably expected)

i.  after completion, the white flag with red star is half-way in the castle

j.  when hitting the stone and the mushroom is walking there, it captures the white flower also. 

see also this video of the same scenario.

k.  Seems to be unlimited coin collection again

l. now the 3 coins can be collected in World 1-2  (coming from the left side).

m.  Fireworks not appearing. There is one spark already and another pops up in the castle

n.  when Super Mario (big Mario) captures the white flower, he should become Luigi (who can shoot),

but it remains Mario, but he can shoot.

o. Firework spark appears when capturing the flag  (and white flag with red star is in the castle not on the top)

p. (same as n) capturing the white flower does not become Luigi

q. Coin collection does not work here:

(not a bug) 

walking at the top of the screen:

This version has some fixes (and is a later version than available at js99er.net)

Editor Assembler EA 5  option.

MARIO.dsk

or BIN file (made with Module Creator) 

Mario.bin

(e.g. the in World 1-2 when walking over the top ceiling wall, then the last screen is okay to move to other levels and 

the World 1-2  (dashes and sublevel issue is fixed here). 

e.g. fix:

Not sure if this is the same in Nintendo, but when jumping here  mario appears at the bottom 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, globeron said:

love the game and port that this is possible on the TI-99/4A! 

Question 1 -  Would all the 32 levels fit for a TI-99/4A port?  (Ref: https://www.mariowiki.com/Category:Super_Mario_Bros._levels)

Thanks for the feedback. I have updated the version in js99er to the latest version (still from 2016 - I haven't done any more work on this project since then). On the NES all levels fit into a 32K ROM, so there's no reason it shouldn't also fit on the TI-99/4A. However, I didn't have much knowledge of the game and its data structures when I started, which meant that I quickly ran out of resources. I remember lack of sprite patterns as a particular problem and also CPU performance issues.

• Like 7

On 1/7/2024 at 10:34 PM, Asmusr said:

Thanks for the feedback. I have updated the version in js99er to the latest version (still from 2016 - I haven't done any more work on this project since then). On the NES all levels fit into a 32K ROM, so there's no reason it shouldn't also fit on the TI-99/4A. However, I didn't have much knowledge of the game and its data structures when I started, which meant that I quickly ran out of resources. I remember lack of sprite patterns as a particular problem and also CPU performance issues.

Thank you. I found it already amazing that you could create this on a TI-99/4A with so much detail in it.