IGNORED

Finally got my newest acquisition running today

Algus

post-24145-0-31689800-1453182312_thumb.jpg

I know it's not quite as classic as what some of you guys talk about but I coveted an original iMac so badly when I was a kid. Using it brings back a lot of good memories, the hum of the CRT and the spinning of the HDD. This is always what computers will be to me. Even with my fancy pants 27'' 1440p monitor and bluetooth accessories, I still feel like I'm working off a TV sometimes with my modern stuff.

The iMac's in pristine condition besides a rough patch with a TON of sticker residue. I'll probably get it off with some goo gone or something. The seller clean installed Mac OS 9.2 before he shipped it out to me so right now it can't do much besides play audio CDs. I'll have to buy or burn some software but I'm thinking of a practical use for it. Maybe as a media player. I won't take it on the web but I might plug it into my LAN.

One thing I'm glad I missed: the bullshit hockey puck mouse! Who used these? midgets? Fortunately I've got a Mac Mouse Pro or two lying around here somewhere...

• Like 2

I like the original imac's I worked on them a lot when they were still fresh as a apple tech (no not one of those doofs with the golf shirt at comp-usa)

you can get on the internet with it using classzilla, just dont do anything you want to ensure is secure given the age of the OS, but then its kind of security by obscurity. If your really paitent with it you can even boot modern day debian linux on it, but at 233mhz its not going to feel modern heh

it should support USB sticks out of the box and you can download disk images of a lot of things form the vault at http://www.macgui.com/and other places

if you use the vault at macgui go ahead and make a login, he limits guest downloads to X per day or something and logging in does no harm as it doesnt spam you or anything, its more or less to keep someone from wgetting his entire personal server all at once heh

you will need stuffit to uncompress archives so nab that, and you should have apple disk image already installed with 9.22, which allows you to mount disk images as drives, no disks needed, to run the installers. (so unstuff the image file, double click the image file and then it appears as a drive on the desktop, kind of messy but it works)

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by Osgeld

I have a Power Macintosh G3 B&W tower that I recently installed OS 9.2.2 on. I can highly recommend macintoshgarden.org for lots of great games and software to drop on your machine. As Osgeld said, 9.2.2 supports USB sticks so you can just use that to transfer programs and files over. There's lots of awesome software for that machine so I'm sure you'll get a lot of hours out of it!

• Like 1

Yeah I got Macintosh Garden bookmarked. I emulate my Performa 637CD on my modern systems. That place is awesome!

I've got a couple 16 GB SanDisk USB drives. I'll try formatting one later and loading some software up on it. Thanks for macgui though Osgeld, I didn't know about that one! I'll check it out. Macintosh Garden is a PITA sometimes because there are viruses embedded in the files. I do have Disinfectant in reserve for that situation though, probably be one of the first things I put on the G3.

I might check out Classzilla. IE 5 can go stuff itself lol. One issue I have with my Performa is moving files back and forth on it. There's a floppy drive emulator I want to get at some point but I've not actually bothered to pick it up. Being able to attach a thumb drive to the G3's keyboard ought to be a great QOL improvement.

See, this is the issue I have with some of these older computers. Outside gaming, why have them? Don't get me wrong, the iMac design is STILL iconic, and I had an orange one along with an orange Ibook, and loved them to pieces. But without net support, it severely cuts down the functionality of the computer. At least with older Windows 98 computers you can get it working well with the current internet with the Opera browser.

Anywho, I'm glad you got it up and running either way, and like I said... lovely little computers (used to do some wireframe modeling on them many, many years ago).

BTW. It's hard to make out, but if that's a Bondi Blue iMac, I just so happen to have one of those hockey puck mice in a drawer, looks new. If you want it, let me know. Comp me for shipping and give me some good karma.

Edited by MotoRacer

I'm good, thanks though. Got the hockey puck with mine. Hate it actually lol. Way to small for me. Might have been ok when these were new as I was only 13, heh.

It is mainly a display piece for me, really I can game on Basilisk II. The USB ports were a big selling point though. I suppose I could plug in a printer if I really wanted. I still do word processing on Corel WordPerfect and this can run the last Mac version of that natively. I'm not spending hundreds on Office when the same program from the 90s does the job lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1