IGNORED

Holes in the 7800 library

Inky

We do have a Mario like Platformer besides Scrapyard Dog. Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest. The game is completed, but it isn't on cartridge yet.

We already have a homebrew breakout/Arkanoid style game called Crazy Brix that is in the Atariage store. Crazy Brix is a great Breakout/Arkanoid style game.

Actually I was thinking about holes in the original 58 game library, so even though I knew of Crystal Quest, I didn't include it.

However, somehow I wasn't aware of Crazy Brix. It looks very interesting and it might end up being my first homebrew purchase! :)

Oh, and good thought with the pinball game.

However, somehow I wasn't aware of Crazy Brix. It looks very interesting and it might end up being my first homebrew purchase! :)

:thumbsup:

Extra bonus - Crazy Brix supports paddles!

The paddles should be plugged into the right/P2 controller port. Just ensure the console switches are set properly to tell the game whether a paddle or a joystick is being utilized.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

It always baffled me how Atari Corp didn't really try to capitalize on the earlier 2600 developers that survived the crash -- specifically Activision. A Pitfall! for the 7800 would have been awesome, though ideally not a port of the awful Super Pitfall. I suppose this could have been possible given the right investment, but we all know that the powers that be were doing most everything on the cheap.

Because it takes money to develop a game, and the third parties are only going to bother with the best selling hardware to maximize their returns. I seem to recall seeing paperwork from Atari Corp with payments in the area of $10,000 per completed game to its contractors.

You have an aversion to the word have or something? :rolling:

Broken V key, maybe? I just scanned the rest of his post, no letter v. :lol:

Really all you need to do is throw a rock at a genre and see where it lands. As long as it's not Arcade, the 7800 is missing it.

I agree. Better to focus on what it DOES have, rather than what it does not. Arguably even the Magnavox Odyssey had more variety than the 7800. Just look at those screenshots! I see the 7800 as a nice little transitional system to ease us from arcade ports into somewhat more epic NES games. If the NES had Robotron, Food Fight, and Pole Position, maybe I wouldn't have bothered with 7800 at all. :sad:

I know quote a few people feel that there are enough arcade ports on the 7800.

I can only speak for myself, but

The issue for me is that I enjoy doing ports, especially for 'underdog' titles. (On an underdog system). That being said, I do want to get back to "Adventure III: The Race for the Chalice", and "ReZolve"... but "Defender" is in there also.

I'm sorry... The other programmers here (who are MUCH better than I am I should add) seem to enjoy doing more original titles. So hopefully it will all even out.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 9

:thumbsup:

I was just thinking of Defender when you wrote that Bob. Glad to hear it's still on your radar. Radar... see what I did there? :lol:

And as far as I'm concerned, there can never be enough arcade ports for the 7800. Thanks to your and others' awesome ports - can't help but think of the 7800 as *the* premier home Arcade game system. :love:

• Like 6

When I was a kid, I wished I could play games like Ghosts n' Goblins and Super Mario Bros. on my 7800.

Now, I like the 7800 for what it is. When I want to play "easy to play, hard to master" arcade style games, I go to my 7800. When I want to play platformers, I go to my NES.

Having said that, I'd have liked to see at least one full-fledged turn-based RPG on the 7800, like Wizardry or Might & Magic.

• Like 2

Because it takes money to develop a game, and the third parties are only going to bother with the best selling hardware to maximize their returns. I seem to recall seeing paperwork from Atari Corp with payments in the area of $10,000 per completed game to its contractors.

Yep. Plus, Nintendo locked up developers with ultra restrictive contacts. And some of the 2600 developers went bust in the crash.

• Like 3

I would love to have more Co-Op games to play with the family.

Ikari Warriors and Xenophobe are ok, but do not always what I am looking for. That Power Play Hockey looks rad, or something like Blades of Steel would be rad as well.

I started preliminary work on a Carrot Kingdom™ "Director's Cut" for the 8-bit Family, as I had to cut like 90% of what I planned for the VCS version.

However, now that I have a 7800 I was thinking of doing a 7800 version first, as it would be fun to develop for, and I already have M.U.S.C.L.E. in progress for the A8.

The 7800 needs more love too, so I think fulfilling my original vision for Carrot Kingdom™ on the 7800 would be fitting. It was planned for Co-Op too.

• Like 4

I know quote a few people feel that there are enough arcade ports on the 7800.

I can only speak for myself, but

The issue for me is that I enjoy doing ports, especially for 'underdog' titles. (On an underdog system). That being said, I do want to get back to "Adventure III: The Race for the Chalice", and "ReZolve"... but "Defender" is in there also.

I'm sorry... The other programmers here (who are MUCH better than I am I should add) seem to enjoy doing more original titles. So hopefully it will all even out.

And I am so thankful for that...I can't tell you how many times I've been playing an arcade game IRL or in MAME and thought 'man I wish Bob would do a 7800 port of this'. (Gaplus/Galaga 3 in particular)

Edited by dmaxwell
  • Like 2