IGNORED

How I got my Atari 2600 from Telegames in 1994

NowThereAreNoLimits

Above is a video I put together compiling old home movie clips.

It was 1994. I was only 8 years old. One day, Dad surprised me with an Atari 2600 ordered brand new from Telegames.

Thought you guys here at Atari Age would be interested. Thanks for any feedback.

Edited by NowThereAreNoLimits
  • Like 18

Dad - "Look at the graphics!"
You - "It's OK for the original first system ever made, dad!"
Dad - "True."

That really cracked me up, and that was a great video with exactly the kind of style and narrative i like. Keep it up!

And i must say that is a very snug fit for the console in that box, and it looks great. I have never seen the Jr. box in that version. I guess they only sold them in the silver-box over here.
Moreover i thought the 2600 was discontinued in 1992? I guess they had stock left for years back then just as they have now with Ps3s and 360s still on the shelves.

Man, AND you got Glacier Patrol?! You suck! :P (I hope you still have it, and the box and everything!)

That was a great video. I liked your dad's narration, too, and I remember those Radio Shack catalogs he was talking about; I actually ordered my NIB Pitfall from Radio Shack in, like, 2000 or 2001, just before they discontinued all the old stuff.

I was about the same age in 1994, and I was enamored with old games then, too. Anything that wasn't Nintendo or Sega was fascinating. The first time I saw an Atari, my reaction was similar to yours in 1990. :)

Man, AND you got Glacier Patrol?! You suck! :P (I hope you still have it, and the box and everything!)

That was a great video. I liked your dad's narration, too, and I remember those Radio Shack catalogs he was talking about; I actually ordered my NIB Pitfall from Radio Shack in, like, 2000 or 2001, just before they discontinued all the old stuff.

I was about the same age in 1994, and I was enamored with old games then, too. Anything that wasn't Nintendo or Sega was fascinating. The first time I saw an Atari, my reaction was similar to yours in 1990. :)

That's really cool that we've both lead similar "game collecting" lives. Unfortunately, the Glacier Patrol is now Cart only. The box were originally cut up and placed into "collectors cases". When I moved out on my own living in a small apartment, I tossed all of the collectors cases I had to free up space. It's a move I will forever regret, as now I own a house... I didn't have the foresight.

awesome! this was great.

Now that is a great video, thanks for sharing it. Your dad is cool! :)

Great video! I love the narration & the editing! Well put together, Sir.

Thanks guys! Yeah. Definitely from the start wanted to go with a "Wonder Years" vibe, but because of the content and subject matter it also feels like "The Goldbergs". It's a lot of fun taking my old childhood memories and truing them into little short subjects. ;-)

Right in those ugly days of boring MS DOS, Amiga, 3DO, Jaguar hype... I am proud of that buy even now.

What are you talking about? That was exciting! :) DOS games were hitting it out of the park at that time. Doom, TIE Fighter, Descent, etc...

The 3DO and Jaguar fell into that separate tier of exotic consoles that people knew from magazines but nobody actually owned, usually because we already had Segas and Super Nintendos and our parents didn't see why they should fork over for another console so soon. On paper they looked wondrous. I remember going into Software Etc. with friends and just staring at the screenshots on the back of 3DO game boxes, which were extremely cool in and of themselves, as well as drooling over those contest ads in EGM or wherever where you could win a new TV, stereo, and Atari Jaguar with, like, every game that existed for it at the time. For a brief time even untextured polygons and FMV--or at least digitized graphics--seemed like something from the future to us mere mortals stuck with 2D sprites. (What's that saying about the grass being greener?... :P) Exciting times, man!

Granted, the reality of those consoles never lived up to the fantasy, but it was a nice dream while it lasted!

I remember thinking I was hot shit when my family got a Packard Bell PC (anybody remember Packard Bell Navigator?) that came with MegaRace because it was a 3DO game.

What are you talking about? That was exciting! :) DOS games were hitting it out of the park at that time. Doom, TIE Fighter, Descent, etc...

The 3DO and Jaguar fell into that separate tier of exotic consoles that people knew from magazines but nobody actually owned, usually because we already had Segas and Super Nintendos and our parents didn't see why they should fork over for another console so soon. On paper they looked wondrous. I remember going into Software Etc. with friends and just staring at the screenshots on the back of 3DO game boxes, which were extremely cool in and of themselves, as well as drooling over those contest ads in EGM or wherever where you could win a new TV, stereo, and Atari Jaguar with, like, every game that existed for it at the time. For a brief time even untextured polygons and FMV--or at least digitized graphics--seemed like something from the future to us mere mortals stuck with 2D sprites. (What's that saying about the grass being greener?... :P) Exciting times, man!

Granted, the reality of those consoles never lived up to the fantasy, but it was a nice dream while it lasted!

I remember thinking I was hot shit when my family got a Packard Bell PC (anybody remember Packard Bell Navigator?) that came with MegaRace because it was a 3DO game.

They were exciting times. In my household there was always such curiosity and excitement over a new console, even if it looked shabby or got panned by the critics. I'm glad we never listened to the naysayers about the Atari Jaguar... I love my Jag!

• Like 1

1994 was an awesome year for gaming... Not only you got the peak of 16-bit gaming, vibrant arcade scene, upcoming 32/64-bit systems and amazing PC games but also when the classic game collecting hobby was getting started.

All in all it's nice to have some retro action along with the new stuff...

• Like 1