IGNORED

AppleTi

towmater

I'm will be demonstrating the F18A and AppleTI card at KansasFest next week. I'll post working code and (hopefully) a video. In short, (1) the AppleTi works well, (2) the AppleTi is backwards (component side facing power supply) and has clearance issues with adjacent cards, and (3) legacy SuperSprite and Amparcade software (available on Asimov) mostly works with it.

Thanks for creating this card.

Edited by pneubauer
  • Like 1

Sorry, it was my first A2 card, and I had some vague reason for putting the chip on the PS side, which escapes me. I ran the layout by Matt Hagarty (sorry if I misspelled Matt) who designed the F18A and just happened to wander by my desk when I asked him about un-used TI pins on the 9918A and drew a rough diagram with his help. The pins that needed to correspond to the Apple bus may have been an influencing factor. It might have had something to do with a CFFA in the adjacent slot. Or, as Dr. Hibbert put it, "chalk it up to a lack of concern on my part" so the chips are on the left, or "sinister" side of the board.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How was it received? (I didn't watch the video yet,) was Kansasfest the three days of love and joy I've imagined? The link you gave at your site for the video led to a donation page for Internet Archive, but works on a reload. I'm looking forward to your tutorial series.

Edited by towmater

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to make 3 of the AppleTi cards and tested them today with pneubauer's Kansasfest 2016 presentation disk. Everything works great!

I did find that they are incompatible with a ZipChip. Initially, the Ampersand driver would crash, or sometimes it would load but the PRESENT or GAME programs would crash. I tried moving the card to different slots with varying success, but the programs never worked correctly. I tried disabling the ZipChip via their utilities, and making sure the slot speed was set to normal instead of fast, but nothing worked. So I swapped out the ZipChip for a normal 65c02 and everything worked like a champ in any slot I moved it to.

I hope to play around with it some more over the long weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was able to make 3 of the AppleTi cards and tested them today with pneubauer's Kansasfest 2016 presentation disk. Everything works great!

I did find that they are incompatible with a ZipChip. Initially, the Ampersand driver would crash, or sometimes it would load but the PRESENT or GAME programs would crash. I tried moving the card to different slots with varying success, but the programs never worked correctly. I tried disabling the ZipChip via their utilities, and making sure the slot speed was set to normal instead of fast, but nothing worked. So I swapped out the ZipChip for a normal 65c02 and everything worked like a champ in any slot I moved it to.

I hope to play around with it some more over the long weekend.

I would be curious to know if the problem is the software or something else. The F18A should easily support the faster CPU. Any possibility that you will be writing some of your own software to use the F18A?

• 1 month later...

I've tested in a IIgs at 2.8 MHz. Maybe that isn't fast enough to show the problem, or maybe the issue is unrelated to speed. When AmpArcade crashes, what happens? Does it break to the monitor? If so, what's the program counter, and what data is at that address?

AmpArcade tends to crash if it's unable to detect the card. Maybe there's a bug in the detection logic. Also, AmpArcade scans slots to find the card, and the scan process involves writing to whatever cards are in your slots. That could "mess up" other cards. What happens if you move the AppleTi to slot 7 (the first slot in the scan sequence)?

On close examination, that sprite demo disk has some odd imagery. One sprite is obviously flipping you off, one is dropping a deuce, one is seemingly popping pills. The demo was seemingly written by hippies. Now get off of my lawn!

Many of the AmpArcade and SuperSprite demos do not work with the AppleTi. Those vintage cards include sound and video mixing hardware. When the software attempts to write to that non-existent hardware, you end up with random writes to the F18A registers. That has various odd effects. You might be seeing these effects -- you'd have to remove sound and video mixing hardware accesses from the demo to confirm this theory. Or, if the demos use AmpArcade rather than direct POKEs, we could disable the unsupported commands in AmpArcade.

I would be curious to know if the problem is the software or something else. The F18A should easily support the faster CPU. Any possibility that you will be writing some of your own software to use the F18A?

I'll investigate the software side. I do plan to extend AmpArcade with F18A-specific features, but, like all hobby projects, that might take awhile.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I don't want to order the wrong f18a from codehackcreate.com. What "System and Pin style" is compatible with the OSH-Park board?

Options are:

TI-99/4A, low profile pins
ColecoVisi​on, tall pins
ADAM Computer, adapter board
MSX1, low profile pins
Other, low profile pins
Other, tall pins

I used the tall Coleco one, though that choice and the IC socket make for a fairly thick board that might interfere with a neighboring board if you have other cards already installed. You could forego the socket, or use the TI low-profile version with or without socket. If you want to use a firmware updater in a TI (and have a disk or nanopeb for the TI to do it), then you'd need to make it socketed, or also if you want to send it to Matt for updating he'll need it removable from the board, I believe. That said, I've only updated once and that was for fixing a single obscure bug that was long ago eradicated, so perhaps you'll never need to remove it.

The knucklehead that drew up the Osh Park board put the IC's on the "wrong" side of the card for Apple II's, I think having something to do with the direction of the VGA header or perhaps extreme arrogance, so mine, for example, cannot sit to the right of an Uthernet or CFFA with the tall pin offering.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BTW, I got an email today that Matthew, the maker of the F18A board, has them back in stock.

http://codehackcreate.com/store

I saw the KansasFest video and I've been waiting for him to get back in stock to make one!

I can't locate an e-mail to contact Matthew at his web site....

EDIT: I found a Contact Form...

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

This was a rainy-day project and it never seems to rain, I need to find out how PR#3 works.

A recent podcast, maybe Floppy Days, interviewed the designer of the original card who was a ghost writer for Steve Ciarcia. I want to say... John Harrington?

Edited by towmater

• 3 years later...