IGNORED

Edladdin Colecovision Controller Kickstarter now LIVE!

edladdin

Is there a Super USB version of this as well (Super USB + multiple DB9 controller ports {or, alternatively, an integrated mini USB hub for connecting multiple retro USB controlers})?

That's a great idea, but no. In the USB version we totally replace our multi-input/output controller board with an iPac board from Ultimarc. We end up using up most of the input terminals on the iPac serving the four joystick directions, four fire buttons, and 12 non-matrix keypad inputs.

Ok, so I have been thinking about this for a while and it SEEMS like it would be possible to put both controller boards in the case and get what you are asking for. The DB9 inputs and the onboard controllers would all feed my Seagull CV, then any of the three console outputs could be fed to the iPac, along with the connections from the non-matrix keypad. Then your final output for the device is USB. So yeah, it might work!

BUT I would not want you to pledge based on this idea since we will not be able to test it until the campaign is already over (7 days!). As someone pointed out previously, testing on real hardware is where the rubber meets the road....

Still, thanks very much - that's a cool idea!

I'd like to back this and get the Super Action Controller, but I really need it to function with both the 2600 and 7800 (with two button support). I know you mentioned that this functionality is possible, but is it guaranteed in the final product? I'm running out of room for all of my arcade sticks and I just want one that will work with most of my classic consoles (8-bit Atari, 2600, 7800, Colecovision).

• Like 1

I'd like to back this and get the Super Action Controller, but I really need it to function with both the 2600 and 7800 (with two button support). I know you mentioned that this functionality is possible, but is it guaranteed in the final product? I'm running out of room for all of my arcade sticks and I just want one that will work with most of my classic consoles (8-bit Atari, 2600, 7800, Colecovision).

Thank you for your consideration!

Guaranteed! I met with our engineer today to talk about the project and nail this point down and I can say definitively that the three console products (ie: not the USB version) will all serve FOUR Consoles - classic ColecoVision, Flashback ColecoVision, Atari 2600, and Atari 7800. There will be a third output port to support the two Atari consoles. The 7800 will absolutely deliver two button control just like a Pro Line or any of our current lineup of 2600/7800 controllers.

Congrats on hitting 90%!

Less than $1,000 to go!

Thanks Phil! And thanks for mentioning this campaign on the Super Skateboardin' show.

Tonight we are at 92% with $8,958 and 50 backers! Only $692 to go! So grateful for everyone in these forums who got us launched in 2014 and have delivered so much support to help us get to the next level with this project.

• Like 1

What a great project; I already own one of Ed's Supreme 78s and love it. Just a bit hung up on the price... I'll tell you what would make this worth it to me in a heartbeat though... If there were adaptors to use it with Intellivision and 5200 consoles as most games on those systems only require 8 direction control...

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been asked before, but can you guarantee Atari paddle support?

This is an excellent question! The short answer needs to be "NO". I've been thinking exclusively about joysticks and would not want to make that guarantee.

But... Are there games that support paddle use on any of these consoles except the 2600? If the software does not support the analog input, I don't know if it will make any difference that you plug the paddles into the adapter or the console.

What a great project; I already own one of Ed's Supreme 78s and love it. Just a bit hung up on the price... I'll tell you what would make this worth it to me in a heartbeat though... If there were adaptors to use it with Intellivision and 5200 consoles as most games on those systems only require 8 direction control...

Thanks so much for saying so!

My plan is to turn the focus to the 5200 once we have this one launched and everyone's pledge orders filled, but this campaign has opened some new conversation about the Intellivision. I thought Paul from the Intellivisionaries* had that community all hooked up and would not want to step on his toes, but it turns out there is still some room in that sandbox for arcade controls.

:-)

* http://intellivisionaries.com/flashback/

Deepest thanks to all the well-wishers, backers, and folks that shared ideas, feedback, and critical information along the way to hitting and exceeding the project finish line today. This would never have gotten off the ground without all of you!

I have one more surprise to reveal...

One of the original design goals was to include the single-axis spinner wheel that was used for speed on the original Super Action Controller games Super Action Soccer, SA Football, and SA Baseball. As such, the Seagull CV controller board already has a live and tested input circuit ready to receive a signal from a true single-axis spinner, but we never found an optical encoder that was reasonably priced enough to make this a standard feature on the controllers, let alone the magnet and reed switch mechanism that was on the classic controller.*

When Bob and I met the other day he revealed that it would not be too hard for our microprocessor to emulate the speed wheel with left and right buttons - the faster you tap, the faster the movement - ala "Track and Field". Since we are already modding the prototype design to add the Atari output port, I am going to add this feature too. Backers will be able to choose on the survey whether they want these two "speed buttons" or not. If you don't care about those three sports games and would prefer not to have the extra buttons in the way of the main four fire buttons, we can totally leave them off.

Lets go build some Super Arcade Controllers!

Ed

* The more crafty among you may wish to mod our product, tie into those signal inputs, and have a true arcade replica of the original Super Action Controller!

post-40253-0-12101700-1455420984_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Would be awesome to get a Supertwin52 if you can get the self centering analogue sticks to work and a less expensive single stick 1 player arcade controller . And congrats Ed :thumbsup:

Thank you!

I have found what - in theory - is a decently priced self-centering analog joystick from the world of industrial controls. Whether this will be up to snuff and fun to use as a 5200 controller will remain to be seen.

If so, I am totally with you! Space Dungeon is an ALL TIME FAVORITE game for me that I played endlessly on my original 5200, so I would love to make this happen!

• Like 1

I did a quick search last week and look at these ! Probably to big and they are expensive but I love the look . http://www.wheelchairmotorcycle.com/arcade-style-large-analog-joystick-with-round-ball-top

Yes! I found quite a few analog sticks out there, so they definitely exist as an "off the shelf" item. Like anything, finding one at the right price is the kicker. You can imagine an $85 stick blows away our ability to deliver a complete controller at a reasonable price. The ones I found are in the ballpark of the Sanwa and Omni 4/8 sticks.

Yes! I found quite a few analog sticks out there, so they definitely exist as an "off the shelf" item. Like anything, finding one at the right price is the kicker. You can imagine an $85 stick blows away our ability to deliver a complete controller at a reasonable price. The ones I found are in the ballpark of the Sanwa and Omni 4/8 sticks.

Did the ones you find have a ball knob ?