IGNORED

Edladdin Colecovision Controller Kickstarter now LIVE!

edladdin

Did the ones you find have a ball knob ?

Yes, I think so. The real jackpot will be if the knob is threaded like most of our sticks so folks can customize. I knew it was going to be a while before we got down and dirty on the 5200 project, so I did not do the complete investigation.

The Kickstarter campaign is at $10,932 = 113% of goal with 58 backers. There are only 3 more days until the end, so now is the time to get on board if you want one of the first run of controllers.

No new orders will be accepted for the new products until all of the backer's orders are filled, most likely sometime in May.

Thank you!

https://www.kickstarter.com/…/super-arcade-controllers-and-…

• Like 1

That's amazing! Congrats!

It really IS amazing! I am very grateful!

Not exaggerating slightly to say that this community made the difference! One of these reports from Kickstarter reveals that 18% of the pledges came from AtariAge, which was the single biggest source of directed traffic.

• Like 1

Just backed Ed's project and I am happy to do so. I just know these devices are going to be great. I chose the $60 back now and pay the remainder part in May option. Thanks Ed for offering that option! I asked if we can make payments until May via PM to you as well.

Thank you again and I wish you continued good luck on your great project.

• Like 1

Just backed Ed's project and I am happy to do so. I just know these devices are going to be great. I chose the $60 back now and pay the remainder part in May option. Thanks Ed for offering that option! I asked if we can make payments until May via PM to you as well.

Thank you again and I wish you continued good luck on your great project.

I've never been involved with a kick starter campaign before so how does this work?

If I donate say $15.00 to the campaign would I be added to a pre order list for any of the peripherals that will be available in the first run,which i would then pay the rest of the amount owed when the times comes?

Or are you required to donate more based on the peripheral you wish to purchase?

Sorry,I'm just abit green when it comes to kick starter.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

I've never been involved with a kick starter campaign before so how does this work?

If I donate say $15.00 to the campaign would I be added to a pre order list for any of the peripherals that will be available in the first run,which i would then pay the rest of the amount owed when the times comes?

Or are you required to donate more based on the peripheral you wish to purchase?

Sorry,I'm just abit green when it comes to kick starter.

Kickstarter is a platform where you can donate money to projects you want to support. The money you give is a donation, and you are not guaranteed anything in return.

They only get the money after they meet their goal. If they don't meet the goal, then they get nothing. (Other crowdfunding websites have different rules than Kickstarter).

Most Projects promise T-shirts, mugs, or whatever for smaller donations, and the completed project, film, song, or whatever for larger donations.

Nothing is guaranteed with Kickstarter, meaning if unforeseen complications arise, the project can be cancelled or scaled back, or they can ask for more money to complete the project. Some kickstarters have just taken the money and not delivered any product (which is allowed under the kickstarter rules, because no promise is ever made to deliver the rewards).

If you donate $15, it is not a deposit or pre-order. You only get whatever is at the $15 donation level (this could be a thank you email, a t-shirt, or whatever they say). However, if the Kickstarter project says they will accept a $15 donation as a $15 deposit or preorder, then they can do that.

• Like 3

To anyone thinking about Kickstarting this project.. here is my opinion..

Kickstarter is the wild world of funding.. you look at project and decide to fund to some level, usually from $1 to many many more $.

Most projects have a good video of the person making the case to you why they need money and setup packages you can invest in.

If you decide to invest you are required to put payment information but are not yet charged in and you are set to go.

If the project funding fails, your payment info is never used and you are never charged, its all or nothing with Kickstarter, so the person better know what they are asking for and if its realistic.

If the project is completely funded or more, then at the end you are charged and money is given to project person minus fees etc.

Q: Is your money a guarantee that you will get your product at all or what you expect?

A: NO, you are not guaranteed to see anything at all or what you thought you were expecting.. however most kickstarter projects are by very honest people and go forward without too many issues.

Q: Why would I fund something with that condition?

A: The best answer is try to get a good feel about the person doing the kickstarter. Is the campaign "thrown together" or put together carefully with nice videos and active on answering questions and being involved in the community they offer? Does the person have a proven track record of delivering goods at a good quality? If so then most likely you are going to be ok. You should not fund anything that you do not believe the person can deliver on!

In the case of Ed, he has been an active member of this community for years and has many people who bought from him. I saw his videos and board designs and he is in my opinion the real deal so I backed him. That is how things get done in a small community.. I just have to put my money where I believe in and get involved.

He was really responsive to my suggestions about Sega Master system / Amiga 2 Button (same thing) support, and with that kind of response, I felt it was time.

I encourage any of you all on the fence who have never kickstarted anyone to back Eds project, it really looks like a grand device and I am sure with his support will only get better and better.

I have backed many projects but this is the one that I am really looking forward to as it is very retro.

P.S. This is not a paid endorsement and I do not have any relation with Edladdin other than what I have read on Atariage and on Kickstarter. I am making my opinion known as I do believe in what he is doing and would like to see people benefit from his hard work.

• Like 3

Ok thanks for explaining how kick starter works. I have two of his seagull 78 adapters and they are great quality so I trust Ed's kick starter,the guy is gold for the community.

Its just that I wasn't sure if donating gained you a spot in line as a pre order or not.

Money's tight for me lately(new home brews and a new PC to buy very soon) so I thought I needed to place a qualifying pledge in order to be in on the first run of his peripherals. And to me I'm fine if it works that way.

I just needed it cleared up is all. I can't pledge allot but I'll do what i can, because we all benefit from having his quality products on the ColecoVision. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

That was an interesting recap of the rules of Kickstarter. I had assumed that the group or person was making a promise to deliver the reward indicated! That's definitely how I have been treating this whole effort. My reputation is all I've got, so we'll deliver the promised rewards or die trying.

As soon as the funds show up I am going on a spending spree to order cases, labels, keypads, joysticks, and everything else needed to meet what I have been considering "pre-orders" all this time. There will not be any cash left over even despite the incredible outpouring of pledges (we are at $11,908 = 123% w/ 33 hours to go!), however I will have an inventory of the parts that have large minimum orders that will last for a while into the future. For example, I have to have a minimum of 100 controller boards built at a time, and the best price yet is $33 each. Looks like roughly half of those will be used up filling the Kickstarter rewards, then I'll have the rest to use for future orders.

Even those are not pure profit, though! Whatever sales come after the Kickstarter, the first $3300 worth of additional sales have to be put in the savings account so we can order the 2nd batch of controller boards without asking for help from the community.

Ok thanks for explaining how kick starter works. I have two of his seagull 78 adapters and they are great quality so I trust Ed's kick starter,the guy is gold for the community.

Its just that I wasn't sure if donating gained you a spot in line as a pre order or not.

Money's tight for me lately(new home brews and a new PC to buy very soon) so I thought I needed to place a qualifying pledge in order to be in on the first run of his peripherals. And to me I'm fine if it works that way.

I just needed it cleared up is all. I can't pledge allot but I'll do what i can, because we all benefit from having his quality products on the ColecoVision. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your kind words... But I really dont want you or anyone to put themselves in a pinch to make a pledge. We've captured enough support to be able to go forward, so you are welcome to hang back and then just order whatever you want when things are not so tight. I really appreciate your buying the Seagull 78s!

"Edladdin" is a growing part of a small but well established specialty electronics company (its a four-person shop started by our dad in 1978), so the day-to-day bills and our paychecks are mostly paid by the other product lines. The point is I don't have a day job or other outside distractions that might make me disappear from the scene or abandon the controllers unexpectedly. Once in a while it means a custom controller order slows down because I am out of town on a sales trip or installation (I'm writing this post from a motel in Iowa) but overall we're not going anywhere anytime soon, so these Coleco controllers are not a "now or never" situation.

• Like 3

Thanks Ed. Happy the kick starter reached its goal. And even though you didn't have to, its greatly appreciated that you answered my questions,as did the other cool people in this thread. :thumbsup:

Very much looking forward to your Colecovision line of controllers and adapters releasing soon.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

The point is I don't have a day job or other outside distractions that might make me disappear from the scene or abandon the controllers unexpectedly.

Much congrats to you for the successful business venture! I too am self-employed and it was not an easy goal to each. I have a lot of respect for anyone in your position. Makes me even more happy about backing your product!

• Like 1

Yes but one product to work with standard DB9 and 2-button 7800, and solve 3 keypad-controller problems at once (Inty/5200/Coleco), would be pretty incredible... maybe it could work with other DB9 systems too like the Segas...

I have made one of those and it starts shipping next week

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247443-super-ninja-controller-pre-order/

• Like 3

Much congrats to you for the successful business venture! I too am self-employed and it was not an easy goal to each. I have a lot of respect for anyone in your position. Makes me even more happy about backing your product!

My sister and I owe it all to our dad. He laid all the groundwork and got it all going at a sustainable level.

• Like 1

It is complete! I can't thank all of you enough for your advice, suggestions, ideas, and pledges/pre-orders. Its an amazing thing that the products ended up stronger and with more options at the end of the campaign than when we started just 30 days ago.

Special thanks to William Culver and Albert Yarusso for their tireless support. SO grateful!!!

I'll continue to post periodic updates here about how the production process is rolling along, as well as answer any questions.

Best wishes to all of you!

Ed

• Like 1

A HUUUUUGE thank you for taking on this endeavor!! I cannot wait to get the product in hand and be able to use it!!! It's because of people like you, who do this for us, that we can all continue to enjoy our systems as much as we do!!! So, again, thank you very much Ed!!!!