IGNORED

Edladdin Colecovision Controller Kickstarter now LIVE!

edladdin

I will be interested in the colecovision 4 button in the near future if you are keeping a contact list. I just don't have the coin this month.

Thank you!

I will post back in this thread when the products move into the regular online shop. That will be immediately after the Kickstarter pre-orders have all been met.

Thank you!!!

No Prob!

This will be cool for me because I actually had an arcade controller for the Coleco back in the '80s. It was a black plastic case with blue and white stripes with two actual arcade buttons on each side, and a ball top joystick in the middle. The joystick was like a black matte finish version of what we'd later see on the NES/SNES Advantage, and inside was leaf switches. Like an idiot, I threw it away when it wore out. I could kick myself, but back then we didn't know that we could replace parts. Man even owning the case and upgrading it to a Sanwa stick nowadays would have been cool, but I've Never even seen one of those on Ebay...

• Like 1

No Prob!

This will be cool for me because I actually had an arcade controller for the Coleco back in the '80s. It was a black plastic case with blue and white stripes with two actual arcade buttons on each side, and a ball top joystick in the middle. The joystick was like a black matte finish version of what we'd later see on the NES/SNES Advantage, and inside was leaf switches. Like an idiot, I threw it away when it wore out. I could kick myself, but back then we didn't know that we could replace parts. Man even owning the case and upgrading it to a Sanwa stick nowadays would have been cool, but I've Never even seen one of those on Ebay...

That sounds really cool! I didn't know anyone was making arcade controllers for Coleco back in the Ferg, but I suppose there was something for everyone.

Its a common story, though. Over the years I kept a baker's dozen of my favorites from my original Atari cart collection, but let slip away some of the second tier titles. Over the last few years I've replaced all the ones that went out the door. Same with the old Tyco trains...

• Like 1

Yeah I'd been thinking about that old joystick lately...As I very nearly forgot all about it. I'm not sure what company made it, but I'm thinking I ordered it out of the back of a video game magazine. I remember thinking it was very expensive for it's time at $42 LOL...

Yeah I'd been thinking about that old joystick lately...As I very nearly forgot all about it. I'm not sure what company made it, but I'm thinking I ordered it out of the back of a video game magazine. I remember thinking it was very expensive for it's time at $42 LOL...

Yes! I remember seeing a massive controller for the Atari 2600 in the back of Electronic Games for the astronomical sum of $50.

So funny how things have shifted... Everyone was marveling on the AA Facebook page the other day about the sale of an Activision H.E.R.O. cart for the high price of $38 when it struck me - that was about the price of a new cart in the early 80's. :-)

• Like 1

Yes! I remember seeing a massive controller for the Atari 2600 in the back of Electronic Games for the astronomical sum of $50.

So funny how things have shifted... Everyone was marveling on the AA Facebook page the other day about the sale of an Activision H.E.R.O. cart for the high price of $38 when it struck me - that was about the price of a new cart in the early 80's. :-)

Yeah, I remember Atari cartridges were about $30. I want to say Zaxxon for Colecovision was $50. I remember I paid $37.50 for Mega Force for Atari because I thought it looked neat and only Montgomery Ward's had it. Then there was Pac-Man!

My friends called me up because it had finally came out and they got it. Back then of course you never knew when a game was gonna come out in the stores, so you just kept checking. And if one of your friends got something cool, they'd call and tell everyone else (and brag haha). When my friends got Pac-Man I ran over to their house and played it for a couple of hours and even though I knew it wasn't a very good port, I just had to have it! I liked Pac-Man in the arcades, but only to change it up on occasion from my usual space shooters (Star Castle, Phoenix, Scramble etc.). But it felt so iconic and the hype was unbelievable, so I had my mom drive me to three stores (this was in Cheyenne, WY for what it's worth), and they were all sold out. Next we went to a store, ironically called Pay + Save, where I bought Pac-Man for $37.95; Making it the most expensive Atari game I had ever purchased at that point. Still have it. :)

• Like 2

Yeah, I remember Atari cartridges were about $30. I want to say Zaxxon for Colecovision was $50. I remember I paid $37.50 for Mega Force for Atari because I thought it looked neat and only Montgomery Ward's had it. Then there was Pac-Man!

My friends called me up because it had finally came out and they got it. Back then of course you never knew when a game was gonna come out in the stores, so you just kept checking. And if one of your friends got something cool, they'd call and tell everyone else (and brag haha). When my friends got Pac-Man I ran over to their house and played it for a couple of hours and even though I knew it wasn't a very good port, I just had to have it! I liked Pac-Man in the arcades, but only to change it up on occasion from my usual space shooters (Star Castle, Phoenix, Scramble etc.). But it felt so iconic and the hype was unbelievable, so I had my mom drive me to three stores (this was in Cheyenne, WY for what it's worth), and they were all sold out. Next we went to a store, ironically called Pay + Save, where I bought Pac-Man for $37.95; Making it the most expensive Atari game I had ever purchased at that point. Still have it. :)

I can't be certain, but I have it in my head that I paid $37.00 for my copy of Pac-Man. It wasn't a terrible game, but it WAS disappointing. I never spent much time with it ever again after Ms. Pac-Man came out a couple years later.

You have to wonder how Atari's fortunes might have changed if the game they had released had been AA's "Pac-Man 4k", and they had given Howard Scott Warshaw an extra 6 weeks to turn E.T. into a real gem...

• Like 1

As I understood, the person who coded original 2600 Pac Man didn't want to do it and was basically forced to make one so he did a lame hack of the game. They should have passed the project to someone more willing to do a proper game.

I don't personally know the truth, but FWIW the description in the book "Business is Fun" is a little more forgiving...

There programmer Tod Frye DID say his first choice was the Defender port, but he was committed to doing the best game possible. He was on probation and worried about losing his job. He said he was hamstrung by the management insistence that Pac-Man be a two player game, so a huge amount of memory had to be wasted storing the exact dot pattern between player turns. A few years later, Ms. Pac-Man was set free from this limitation and was only one player. At the same time, for cost reasons they wouldn't let him use the 8k ROMs that were available, so he had to squeeze it all into the older 4k format. This was another limitation Ms. Pac-Man did not have to endure.

• Like 2

As I understood, the person who coded original 2600 Pac Man didn't want to do it and was basically forced to make one so he did a lame hack of the game. They should have passed the project to someone more willing to do a proper game.

...not what I heard when I talked with Mr Frye at the CGE ( maybe 2004?). He cited the technical limitations imposed by management (specifically limited memory and time) as preventing a better effort.

• Like 1

I can't be certain, but I have it in my head that I paid $37.00 for my copy of Pac-Man. It wasn't a terrible game, but it WAS disappointing. I never spent much time with it ever again after Ms. Pac-Man came out a couple years later.

You have to wonder how Atari's fortunes might have changed if the game they had released had been AA's "Pac-Man 4k", and they had given Howard Scott Warshaw an extra 6 weeks to turn E.T. into a real gem...

I tend to think like that too, thinking we'd have gone nuts for a better Pac-Man in the '80s...I always imagine that if Atari had one of the better AA versions up their sleeves, they could have waited say, 6 months or so, and then released Pac-Man Arcade: Apology Edition...For a slightly cheaper price too...haha...It might have bought them some time before the crash...

• Like 1

^^^^^^

Yep, same here. Buying an Ed Laddin arcade stick to someday replace my X-Arcade stick that doesn't seem to wanna give true 4 way control. Its doable but hoping the Ed Laddin sticks do the honors for old school 4 way games.

If one has the following adapters (Masterplay clone and Mayflash Genesis/MegaDrive to USB adapter) then I'm pretty sure Ed's arcade stick will also work on an Atari 5200 and PC emulators also. If so then his arcade stick really will be a universal stick for many devices.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 2

^^^^^^

Yep, same here. Buying an Ed Laddin arcade stick to someday replace my X-Arcade stick that doesn't seem to wanna give true 4 way control. Its doable but hoping the Ed Laddin sticks do the honors for old school 4 way games.

If one has the following adapters (Masterplay clone and Mayflash Genesis/MegaDrive to USB adapter) then I'm pretty sure Ed's arcade stick will also work on an Atari 5200 and PC emulators also. If so then his arcade stick really will be a universal stick for many devices.

I have a lot of adapters for joysticks too...

I have an X-Arcade (I may have killed it by re-wiring, but that's another story), and another similar one, plus a Hori Real Arcade Pro for PS2 and with a Sanwa stick/buttons, it's my favorite. But I have adapters for Playstation 2 joysticks that allow me to use them to control Dreamcast, Turbografx, Genesis/MegaDrive (which works for Atari and Coleco generally), Famiclone, and SNES...

• Like 1

I have an X-Arcade (I may have killed it by re-wiring, but that's another story), and another similar one, plus a Hori Real Arcade Pro for PS2 and with a Sanwa stick/buttons, it's my favorite. But I have adapters for Playstation 2 joysticks that allow me to use them to control Dreamcast, Turbografx, Genesis/MegaDrive (which works for Atari and Coleco generally), Famiclone, and SNES...

Are these the tototek ones by any chance? I've been thinking about doing this myself (X arcade through a PS2 to Sega adapter but used on Atari and Coleco).

What issues have you run into that make you say "generally" if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1

GoldenWheels, on 14 Mar 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

Are these the tototek ones by any chance? I've been thinking about doing this myself (X arcade through a PS2 to Sega adapter but used on Atari and Coleco).

What issues have you run into that make you say "generally" if you don't mind me asking?

They are indeed Tototek! (All except the Dreamcast one I got from Lik Sang some time back) And I've had pretty good luck with them overall, even though sometimes it's a crap shoot. With regard to Atari, it works for sure (Make sure all connections are tight). But I wrote that post on very little sleep and just thinking in very general terms. Suddenly I couldn't remember if it worked with ColecoVision or not. It has been a while since I've had the Coleco out and I don't want anyone to go on what I wrote in my sleep haha, so I broke out the ColecoVision to try it out. And I had no luck getting it to work! So I guess it works with Atari and Genesis/Mega Drive but NOT ColecoVision. That's why we all need to buy Edladdin a beer, eh? (And buy one of his Coleco controllers!)

It's easy for the lines to get blurred with me though, and not just because I'm getting older and my memory is getting worse, haha...But, for example I do remember once using the X-Arcade to control the Dreamcast, but on the Dreamcast I was playing emulators and it worked perfectly to control emulated Genesis games, but it did not work to control emulated NES games...

• Like 3

They are indeed Tototek! (All except the Dreamcast one I got from Lik Sang some time back) And I've had pretty good luck with them overall, even though sometimes it's a crap shoot. With regard to Atari, it works for sure (Make sure all connections are tight). But I wrote that post on very little sleep and just thinking in very general terms. Suddenly I couldn't remember if it worked with ColecoVision or not. It has been a while since I've had the Coleco out and I don't want anyone to go on what I wrote in my sleep haha, so I broke out the ColecoVision to try it out. And I had no luck getting it to work! So I guess it works with Atari and Genesis/Mega Drive but NOT ColecoVision. That's why we all need to buy Edladdin a beer, eh? (And buy one of his Coleco controllers!)

It's easy for the lines to get blurred with me though, and not just because I'm getting older and my memory is getting worse, haha...But, for example I do remember once using the X-Arcade to control the Dreamcast, but on the Dreamcast I was playing emulators and it worked perfectly to control emulated Genesis games, but it did not work to control emulated NES games...

Thanks for doing that Gold! I'm honestly far more interested in the Atari, since not only do I play that more, I also went in on the kickstarter for the Edladdin Sega to Coleco converter box. ;-)

• Like 1

GoldenWheels, on 14 Mar 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

Thanks for doing that Gold! I'm honestly far more interested in the Atari, since not only do I play that more, I also went in on the kickstarter for the Edladdin Sega to Coleco converter box. ;-)

No problem Golden haha..

I thought I better also mention that I did this test using my Hori Arcade Pro joystick. I also used something that looks very similar to an X-Arcade called an Arcade MX (for PS2)...But that still doesn't necessarily mean it will work with an X-Arcade. Unfortunately My X-Arcade is now out of commission. I was rewiring it...At one point to control Atari directly, but mostly I was trying (and failed) to get it to work with Midnight Magic. I love that game so I wired the side "flipper" buttons to control the flippers, but they would only work if one or the other button was pressed (because Left/Right control flippers), but if you pressed Both buttons, then neither one would work! Long story short I haven't tried to put it back together and seem to have lost my pics of the internals...And I had previously gotten it to control the flippers using side buttons on Pinball Hall of Fame (PS2), which was awesome if you did not use the tilt...

Even if it did not work with X-Arcade though, you'd be able to use some PS2 pads/sticks...I generally just use trial and error (Mostly error ha! :)...

Some Joysticks are weird; Even my Hori Arcade Pro (which is admittedly a Japanese version) for PS2 does Not work on a PS2 to control certain PS2 games...I seem to recall I could not get it to work with Taito Legends (can't remember if it was Part 1 or 2 or both) and that was one of the main reasons I bought it! Also it only worked on one kind of PS2...I'm thinking it worked with the Slim but not the Big one until I got out some extension cables...And I'm pretty sure I hit the cable end with a Dremel tool to make it fit better...

Another thing I notice is Atari extension cables vary. Due to the Deepness/shallowness of the end connections, The cables made by Retro-Bit, A company known for making awful 3d party Genesis controllers, do not work as well as cables made by Innovation, a company known for making awful 3rd party Famicom/NES controllers...

Edited by GoldLeader

Understood! any time you use a converter, let alone a converter through ANOTHER converter, results may vary. You kind of just have to give it a go!

My X-arcade right now is just sitting in my little mini-mame cab, getting no love. Kids kind of got bored of it and so did I. I'll have to snag one of those tototeks and see if Can get it working on my 7800.

• Like 1

Understood! any time you use a converter, let alone a converter through ANOTHER converter, results may vary. You kind of just have to give it a go!

My X-arcade right now is just sitting in my little mini-mame cab, getting no love. Kids kind of got bored of it and so did I. I'll have to snag one of those tototeks and see if Can get it working on my 7800.

That's Awesome!

I too have a little Bartop MAME unit downstairs, in the room with my washer/dryer. It has it's own control panel though. I bought it from a guy on Gamegavel. I have it set up on milk crates and tried so hard to get it just the right height, but to no avail. I like it, but it's always just not quite perfect. It's little too high, so I even tried to raise my barstool up a tiny bit, then the screen is slightly obscured by the bezel haha, which I really should just replace, but it's all handmade...and the angle of the screen is not perfect either, so I find it funny how nothing is ever perfect...And of course he left off many games I really wanted but it was all prepackaged...And he had games like Mousetrap and Vanguard in there which I love, but it only has 3 buttons so those are unplayable LOL...

Maybe someday I'll get a very nice and near perfect full size MAME cab...It's a dream if ever I get some money and space haha...

In the meantime I consider getting the Edladdin Coleco controller a soon fulfilled mini-Dream!

• Like 2

Do you have a link to where i can get one of those Tototek XArcade adapters? I know you said you haven't tried it with XArcade but I'm willing to take a chance and order one. It would rock the house to possibly be able to use my XArcade on my Atari 7800.

And thanks for the tip about extension cables. What you say is very true. The brands that have abit of a loose fit are troublesome. My Coleco pads don't want to work properly with a Colecovision unit if infact the extended cable has an loose fit. I never knew which brands were built better for tighter fits so thanks that bit of info also.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

Do you have a link to where i can get one of those Tototek XArcade adapters? I know you said you haven't tried it with XArcade but I'm willing to take a chance and order one. It would rock the house to possibly be able to use my XArcade on my Atari 7800.

And thanks for the tip about extension cables. What you say is very true. The brands that have abit of a loose fit are troublesome. My Coleco pads don't want to work properly with a Colecovision unit if infact the extended cable has an loose fit. I never knew which brands were built better for tighter fits so thanks that bit of info also.

Sure thing!

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23

Like I say I really wish I knew for sure if they work with X-Arcades or not...I'd really hate to recommend something and have it not work...but life's an adventure right?

OK, So I just tried out some things on my Atari 7800 to be sure...And (of course ) I got weird results!

My Hori stick worked fine as did my Arcade MX. A PS1 pad did not work at all (as expected), so I tried a couple of dual shocks (PS2). The first one worked in 3 but not 4 directions! And the second one just caused the guy to go Up automatically and then did Not work. All of the PS2 pads have had the cords coiled tightly and had been put away for a while as had the adapter, in case that matters. I am sure getting some weird results! Maybe Dual shocks don't work, or perhaps my memory doesn't work haha...

FWIW I distinctly remember playing the Turbografx/Turbo CD with the Hori stick and with just a PS2 pad (I'm thinking it was a dual shock but I could be wrong), and I had no trouble whatsoever...So those adapters work great if ya have a Turbografx. Also I don't remember having any trouble with Genesis/Mega Drive either but that was a few beers ago...

• Like 1