IGNORED

Edladdin Colecovision Controller Kickstarter now LIVE!

edladdin

So then its $35.00 for a X-arcade to PS1/PS2 adapter + $18.00 for a PS1/PS2 to Megadrive/Genesis adapter. Then you daisy chain them altogether like some mad Frankenstein experiment. Damn! :P I'm just wondering how it'll read (if it even does) the X-arcade though. Like...there's two sticks on the X-arcade,which will work,if its just one of the two thats fine. But I'm abit concerned that the PS1/PS2 to Genesis adapter might only accept a analog connection, and X-arcades are all digital. This is nuts but I am tempted to give this a go. I love my X-arcade too damn much sometimes. I would love to have it play on an Atari 7800. I may do this,just not sure yet. But waiting for Ed Laddin's arcade Coleco stick is probably the safer way to go.

Thanks for the links and offering the results you got on your trials with these devices. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Sure thing!

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23

Like I say I really wish I knew for sure if they work with X-Arcades or not...I'd really hate to recommend something and have it not work...but life's an adventure right?

OK, So I just tried out some things on my Atari 7800 to be sure...And (of course ) I got weird results!

My Hori stick worked fine as did my Arcade MX. A PS1 pad did not work at all (as expected), so I tried a couple of dual shocks (PS2). The first one worked in 3 but not 4 directions! And the second one just caused the guy to go Up automatically and then did Not work. All of the PS2 pads have had the cords coiled tightly and had been put away for a while as had the adapter, in case that matters. I am sure getting some weird results! Maybe Dual shocks don't work, or perhaps my memory doesn't work haha...

FWIW I distinctly remember playing the Turbografx/Turbo CD with the Hori stick and with just a PS2 pad (I'm thinking it was a dual shock but I could be wrong), and I had no trouble whatsoever...So those adapters work great if ya have a Turbografx. Also I don't remember having any trouble with Genesis/Mega Drive either but that was a few beers ago...

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

PhoenixMoonPatrol, on 14 Mar 2016 - 11:06 PM, said:

So then its $35.00 for a X-arcade to PS1/PS2 adapter + $18.00 for a PS1/PS2 to Megadrive/Genesis adapter. Then you daisy chain them altogether like some mad Frankenstein experiment. Damn! :P I'm just wondering how it'll read (if it even does) the X-arcade though. Like...there's two sticks on the X-arcade,which will work,if its just one of the two thats fine. But I'm abit concerned that the PS1/PS2 to Genesis adapter might only accept a analog connection, and X-arcades are all digital. This is nuts but I am tempted to give this a go. I love my X-arcade too damn much sometimes. I would love to have it play on an Atari 7800. I may do this,just not sure yet. But waiting for Ed Laddin's arcade Coleco stick is probably the safer way to go.

Thanks for the links and offering the results you got on your trials with these devices. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

My new advice is to definitely wait for the Edladdin controller!

I'm so sorry, I think I may be mixing up a few things in my memory. I looked online and only found one instance of someone playing Atari with an X-Arcade. And they said they did it by using a Tototek adapter AND an Edladdin adapter (Genesis to 7800).

What I remember is that I did wire an X-Arcade to control an Atari using a DB9 cable directly but I was mostly trying to get "flippers" working for Midnight Magic pinball, And (separately) I used the PlayStation 2 adapter to play the PS2 game Atari Anthology...That's one way to "play Atari" with an X-Arcade haha...And it doesn't help that my other PS2 joystick is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Arcade-Mx-Two-Player-Arcade-MAME-PS2-USB-Joy-Stick-Controller-W-USB-Adapter/161971915480?_trksid=p2047675.c100037.m2107&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140814145201%26meid%3D450480b1a2b646d292e5d1f73b6babe4%26pid%3D100037%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D161786543567

Which is very similar to an X-Arcade, but (mine) has only the PS2 cables...

Unfortunately I guess I don't specifically remember and I definitely don't want to lead anyone astray in case it doesn't work...

• Like 1

You guys are making my mouth water with all this talk of leaf switch joysticks...IMO, the ONLY way to play older arcade games :D

I wasn't able to take part in this successful KS, but I've got my eye on the 78 version...something to replace my X Arcade, I'm hoping :D

Great job all around, guys!

We just built one for a guy in Texas... SO smooth!

Only downside on the leaf joysticks is that the red knobs are molded on, so a little less customizable.

post-40253-0-99746600-1458063362_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-04422300-1458063402_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

^^^^^^

Yep, same here. Buying an Ed Laddin arcade stick to someday replace my X-Arcade stick that doesn't seem to wanna give true 4 way control. Its doable but hoping the Ed Laddin sticks do the honors for old school 4 way games.

If one has the following adapters (Masterplay clone and Mayflash Genesis/MegaDrive to USB adapter) then I'm pretty sure Ed's arcade stick will also work on an Atari 5200 and PC emulators also. If so then his arcade stick really will be a universal stick for many devices.

For TRUE 4-way control either of the Supreme 78s will fill the bill. The "All-Play" has the switchable restrictor plate, while the "All-Leaf" has no plate at all. The octagonal restrictor plate on the "Super" and "Super Twin" gives a very nice compromise, but its not the perfection of true 4-way.

I have not tried it personally, but the word is that everything works perfectly with the Masterplay clone. I just got this note a few days ago:

Just wanted to let you know that I received the Super Twin controller, and am really impressed with it. I can't believe how smooth it handles when playing Robotron on the 7800. It feels like this controller was made specifically for this game, back in the day.

I've also been able to hook it up via 2 masterplay clones to play the 5200 version of Robotron.

• Like 2

Well I just replaced a x-arcade cable with a new one and rotated opened up the unit to play games as 4 way and its as people have said,it doesn't work all that well. Directional inputs are now being confused by the unit when things get really fast in some games like Ms Pacman. Meh. Think its best to just leave it as 8 way then.

But yeah the super 78 you sell I have been eyeing. I never knew it was a true 4 way,thats good to know. Thanks!

Will the Coleco sticks that are being made also be 4 way or as optional 4 and 8 way sticks with a restrictor plate?

The majority of my favorite mame games are all 4 way games(don't care for fighters) so I think I'm going to lean towards an all 4 way stick,period. Same with my home systems also. 4 way games for most of them, and I can add a game pad for the 8 way stuff if I choose to.

I guess what I'm asking is if i wanted true 4 way without any plate/restrictor switching, which is best? The super 78 or the upcoming coleco sticks?

I guess maybe I should go with the coleco sticks since I'd also have to also buy an adapter to use a super 78 stick on a Colecovision?

Or do 7800 pads or sticks make use of both fire buttons on a colecovision without the use of any adapter? Would it be as simple as plugging in a coleco pad in port 2 and a super 7800 stick in port one and I would get full use out of the stick?

Sorry if this has been answered a million times. I haven't tried to use a 7800 controller in a coleco system in years.

I was hoping a super 7800 stick would work with the master play clone :thumbsup: Makes me want to splurge for one even more but not sure yet. May just wait on those Coleco sticks you're making for us. Just not sure which to get.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

Well I just replaced a x-arcade cable with a new one and rotated opened up the unit to play games as 4 way and its as people have said,it doesn't work all that well. Directional inputs are now being confused by the unit when things get really fast in some games like Ms Pacman. Meh. Think its best to just leave it as 8 way then.

But yeah the super 78 you sell I have been eyeing. I never knew it was a true 4 way,thats good to know. Thanks!

Will the Coleco sticks that are being made also be 4 way or as optional 4 and 8 way sticks with a restrictor plate?

The majority of my favorite mame games are all 4 way games(don't care for fighters) so I think I'm going to lean towards an all 4 way stick,period. Same with my home systems also. 4 way games for most of them, and I can add a game pad for the 8 way stuff if I choose to.

I guess what I'm asking is if i wanted true 4 way without any plate/restrictor switching, which is best? The super 78 or the upcoming coleco sticks?

I guess maybe I should go with the coleco sticks since I'd also have to also buy an adapter to use a super 78 stick on a Colecovision?

Or do 7800 pads or sticks make use of both fire buttons on a colecovision without the use of any adapter? Would it be as simple as plugging in a coleco pad in port 2 and a super 7800 stick in port one and I would get full use out of the stick?

Sorry if this has been answered a million times. I haven't tried to use a 7800 controller in a coleco system in years.

I was hoping a super 7800 stick would work with the master play clone :thumbsup: Makes me want to splurge for one even more but not sure yet. May just wait on those Coleco sticks you're making for us. Just not sure which to get.

Hi!

Just want to clarify, the SUPREME 78 has a switchable joystick. The instrument panel is hinged so you can easily lift the lid, change the plate, then continue playing. It requires no tools and no trouble, and it totally gives full-fledged 4-way AND 8-way control. I've attached a photo that shows the unit in both settings.

In contrast, the Super 78, Super Twin 78, and all of the upcoming Coleco compatible controllers will have a Sanwa joystick with an octagonal restrictor plate. Its not switchable. Instead, it has 8 "landing spots" molded right into the restrictor, so your stick has a postive register at up/down/left/right AND all four diagonals. This is a very nice compromise as compared with trying to play a 4-way game on an 8-way stick or vice versa, but its not AS perfect as only having the four points when you are playing Ms. Pac-Man or a game like that. Take a look at the other attached photo.

So to answer your question, the Coleco controllers and the Super 78s will all be identically equipped, with the octagon compromise. If you really want TRUE 4 way, you want an "All-Play 4/8 Supreme 78".

I hope this helps!!!

Ed

post-40253-0-23503700-1458270831_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-85157400-1458271059_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Status update?

Thanks!

Absolutely!

The last couple of months have been busy. The first hurdle was the final modification to the controller board design, which was successful. Changes from the original controller board:

1. Super Arcade Controller, the SAC "Plus" version, and Seagull CV adapter now fully support the Atari 2600 and 7800. So all of those units will work with the two Atari consoles, plus the vintage and Flashback ColecoVisions.

2. "Speed Wheel" simulation, in which a pair of push buttons are assigned to deliver the left and right speed functions. Tap on the appropriate button for speed in that direction, tap faster for faster movement. With this feature, the Super Arcade Controller and "Plus" version can be used with every game in the Super Action Controller library. The pair of buttons will be added inside the arc of the main 4 fire buttons. Typically your fingers arch over the speed buttons, but they are right there if needed. I am assuming that some folks will not want the speed buttons, so that will be a question/selection item on the backer survey I have been compiling.

----------

After the controller board design was finalized, we went for a fresh round of quoting and then procurement on all elements. Some of these have arrived, some are still in process:

* The PCBs have been completed, manufactured by Jet Technologies in Milwaukee and are currently en route to Andrew Technologies in Wheeling, IL, for population via "pick and place" robots.

* The through-hole parts have been received from Mouser Electronics, which will be added to the PCBs in our shop

* We've received an order of 75 Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT joysticks

* We've received an order of hundreds of Suzo-Happ push buttons in the five colors

* The side art labels have been ordered from Apex Signs here in Athens

* 300 six foot DB9 extension cords are en route from China

* 250 matrix and 250 non-matrix keypads have been ordered from a company in China with the "muted" print design. They are scheduled to ship this week.

* Our engineer is currently working on making the mechanical drawings for us to have the aluminum enclosures custom made with all the holes stamped in the correct positions. Up until this point we have been paying very nearly retail for these enclosures and drilling the holes ourselves. I had received a very competitive quote from the manufacturer for a mix of customized and stock cases, but when I went to fill the order they pulled a switcheroo on me, indicating the previous quote was only good for those elements that would be customized by them at a very high price. I could only buy direct on "stock" units if I purchased $5000 worth at a time, which destroyed the budget. I hope to get a much better price with custom-built, both of the basic case and for the mods that we cannot do ourselves. The round holes are all easy, but we do not have a good way to stamp/mill out the trapezoid shapes where the DB-9 connectors attach on the front of the SAC Plus and the Seagull CV. This is the biggest wildcard at this point, as I still have to get quotes once the drawings are complete.

Also part of the Kickstarter fulfillment:

* 72 coffee cups have been designed, sourced, and ordered

Remaining tasks to complete:

* Order the large, full coverage enclosure labels that most units will receive

* Order the joystick ball knobs

* Complete the Kickstarter backer surveys that will reveal t-shirt sizes, "speed button" choice, and which backers prefer the "naked" controllers without the colorful labels

* Build and ship everything!

Of the remaining tasks, the first three should be complete this week. Arrival of the enclosures will drive the pace of the last step, though we will be busy for a while making harnesses and adding the through-hole parts to the controller board.

I think that is everything!

I have attached a couple snapshots of some of the parts that have arrived, as well as a drawing for the control panel layout that reflects the addition of the two speed buttons.

Thanks again for all the support! Comments and questions welcome!

Ed

post-40253-0-99980500-1461682309_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-53425500-1461682312_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-88988000-1461682333_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-64864800-1461682739_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Edladdin recently sent out an email via Kickstarter requesting buyers select options for their personal controller. I'm somewhat curious to know what others have been, or are thinking of, choosing with regard to button colours and the overall livery of the unit.

Personally, I'm seriously considering the standard CV colour scheme for the buttons and the livery, i.e. not the Edladdin livery.

• Like 1

Edladdin recently sent out an email via Kickstarter requesting buyers select options for their personal controller. I'm somewhat curious to know what others have been, or are thinking of, choosing with regard to button colours and the overall livery of the unit.

Personally, I'm seriously considering the standard CV colour scheme for the buttons and the livery, i.e. not the Edladdin livery.

Weird I did not get that email.

I didn't get the email either, but I've been in contact with Ed about other topics...I just saw the new reply so maybe Ed is just doing a few at a time. If Ikrananka is asking what colors we will choose when we do select them; Myself I'm imagining a Blue/Green button color scheme with a Green joystick ball. It's mainly for personal preference and nothing to do with original colors BITD. I'm also going to be looking for a Multi-Colored ColecoVision sticker as this deal gets closer to completion.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone!

Ikrananka is talking about the first round of Kickstarter surveys, which went out on Friday afternoon. It turns out you have to build a separate survey for each and every pledge reward group, so its convenient for customizing but a slow process for items that are similar. I started with t-shirt size requests and got as far as the Super Arcade Controllers before halting for the day. It turned out to be helpful that I stopped, as I immediately got some feedback from folks in those groups that will allow me to adjust a couple of the controller customization questions for the surveys to follow (see below).

By way of preview to the rest of you, the controller surveys will include these questions and the attached mock-up photo.

-------------

Edladdin Controllers needs some info about the configuration AND decoration of your Super Arcade Controller.

CONFIGURATION: After the end of the kickstarter campaign, we figured out how to add a pair of "speed buttons" that simulate the thumb roller on the original Super Action Controller by Coleco. Like the arcade game "Track and Field" you tap faster to go faster to the left or right. This option adds a pair of pushbuttons to the control panel.

• CONFIGURATION
    Install the speed buttons
    Do not install the speed buttons

DECORATION: You can choose between the colorful "Edladdin" themed main label and side art with classic Coleco Super Action Controller colors OR the naked case and grayscale keypad.

• DECORATION
    Edladdin-themed Decoration w Classic Coleco colors
    Undecorated

CUSTOMIZATION: Choose between your choice of button and knob colors.

• CUSTOMIZATION - Ball Knob
    Red - Solid (Classic Coleco)
    Red - Gem
    Orange - Solid
    Yellow - Gem
    Green - Gem
    Blue - Gem
    Purple - Solid
    Pink - Solid
    Black - Solid
  • CUSTOMIZATION - Button 1
    Red
    Orange
    Yellow (Classic Coleco)
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Black
    White
  • CUSTOMIZATION - Button 2
    Red (Classic Coleco)
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Black
    White
  • CUSTOMIZATION - Button 3
    Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Purple (Classic Coleco)
    Black
    White
  • CUSTOMIZATION - Button 4
    Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue (Classic Coleco)
    Purple
    Black
    White
  • CUSTOMIZATION - Left Speed Button
    Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Black (Standard)
    White
  • CUSTOMIZATION - Right Speed Button
    Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Black (Standard)
    White

-------------

What I found out was that the system makes you answer every question to complete the survey, so the next rounds of surveys will include "Do not install" options for the speed button customization - the last two questions - to reinforce the "Configuration" question.

If you are in the group that already got your surveys and do NOT want the speed buttons, under the first question ("Configuration") please check "Do not install the speed buttons" and we will ignore the colors you choose in the last two questions.

TIL - You cannot edit the surveys after they are launched.

Thanks everyone!

Edpost-40253-0-13062900-1462130839_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Everyone!

Ikrananka is talking about the first round of Kickstarter surveys, which went out on Friday afternoon. It turns out you have to build a separate survey for each and every pledge reward group, so its convenient for customizing but a slow process for items that are similar. I started with t-shirt size requests and got as far as the Super Arcade Controllers before halting for the day. It turned out to be helpful that I stopped, as I immediately got some feedback from folks in those groups that will allow me to adjust a couple of the controller customization questions for the surveys to follow (see below).

By way of preview to the rest of you, the controller surveys will include these questions and the attached mock-up photo.

Thanks for the heads up Ed!

Question - Am I to assume the controller in the picture above on the right is how you envision it to be? Because that's sort of what I want. I know there are people who might want just a plain console so they can decorated it themselves, but I sort of want the full on Edladdin conceptualized product! =)

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up Ed!

Question - Am I to assume the controller in the picture above on the right is how you envision it to be? Because that's sort of what I want. I know there are people who might want just a plain console so they can decorated it themselves, but I sort of want the full on Edladdin conceptualized product! =)

Thanks, you are very kind! Yes, the one on the right is VERY much like what the final product will look like. The only differences...

* The photo exposes my weak Photoshop skills, where I clumsily added the pair of "speed buttons" to the photo of the real working prototype

* The final artwork has one more "output" label along the top edge to show which is the cord for the Atari 2600/7800 consoles

I've attached a couple examples of the actual final artwork, which have been sent to the printer.

post-40253-0-10909400-1462141224_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-39022900-1462141225_thumb.jpg

Small update on the Coleco/Atari controller and adapter project!

The Chinese transactions:

* Matrix and non-matrix keypads are complete and should ship tomorrow via DHL!

* Last week we received a box of 300 six foot DB-9 extension cords, which will have one end cut off for direct wiring into the controllers.

* On Tuesday sent a wire transfer to a company in Hong Kong for 225 ball tops - 100 "solid red" and the rest assorted colors, including our first pink tops. Those were promised to ship "within 5 days", but as soon as they got the money the contact wrote back and said the real shipment date would be 5/20. :-(

In the USA:

* The printed circuit board assembly shop got the naked boards and have been working on the "pick and place" assembly.

* I received all the metal fabrication drawings for the enclosures from our engineer, which are 95% complete. The last detail to add to those will be the slot for the keypad ribbon cable to enter the case. Nothing like having the actual part in hand to be certain the hole is placed in exactly the right spot.

* Received the vinyl "side art" for the small and large enclosures, but the pieces for the Seagull CV case were done wrong and have to be re-run.

* Coffee cups came in!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Ed

post-40253-0-94255200-1462514488_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-67769700-1462514489_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-17790600-1462514490_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-19046700-1462515359_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Small update on the Coleco/Atari controller and adapter project!

The Chinese transactions:

* Matrix and non-matrix keypads are complete and should ship tomorrow via DHL!

* Last week we received a box of 300 six foot DB-9 extension cords, which will have one end cut off for direct wiring into the controllers.

* On Tuesday sent a wire transfer to a company in Hong Kong for 225 ball tops - 100 "solid red" and the rest assorted colors, including our first pink tops. Those were promised to ship "within 5 days", but as soon as they got the money the contact wrote back and said the real shipment date would be 5/20. :-(

In the USA:

* The printed circuit board assembly shop got the naked boards and have been working on the "pick and place" assembly.

* I received all the metal fabrication drawings for the enclosures from our engineer, which are 95% complete. The last detail to add to those will be the slot for the keypad ribbon cable to enter the case. Nothing like having the actual part in hand to be certain the hole is placed in exactly the right spot.

* Received the vinyl "side art" for the small and large enclosures, but the pieces for the Seagull CV case were done wrong and have to be re-run.

* Coffee cups came in!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Ed

Does every controller ship with a slice of that pie ?

• Like 1