IGNORED

Edladdin Colecovision Controller Kickstarter now LIVE!

edladdin

WHOA! I have zero experience with Neo Geo, so I had no idea these existed.

Order placed! If the sample gives a good fit, that's a major hurdle cleared!

Hope they work ! Looks like you can get them cheaper if you buy the same ones from Hong Kong . I am sure you could get a nice bulk price also .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ed, hows the Seagull fix coming along???

The fix is complete on the five Seagull CV controller adapters that have been returned so far! All that remains is final testing and repacking.

In these photos you can see how the battery circuit that was added to the Seagull CV and the first batch of five Super Arcade Controllers. Changing the battery will be very easy on the Seagull since all of the wiring is in the top of the case. With the Super Arcade Controller, the wiring is all on the top panel while the board and battery are mounted on the base section, so you will have to be careful not to open the front very far or the keypad will come unplugged. No big deal, but its a hassle to reattach.

And if we can remember to turn off the big switch in the back after playing, these batteries should last years and years.

Ed

post-40253-0-65262400-1480920820_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-47456300-1480920822_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-67231100-1480920823_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-83411800-1480920824_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-20594800-1480920826_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-69528300-1480920827_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-14221900-1480920829_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-75771000-1480920830_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-13882900-1480920832_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The fix is complete on the five Seagull CV controller adapters that have been returned so far! All that remains is final testing and repacking.

In these photos you can see how the battery circuit that was added to the Seagull CV and the first batch of five Super Arcade Controllers. Changing the battery will be very easy on the Seagull since all of the wiring is in the top of the case. With the Super Arcade Controller, the wiring is all on the top panel while the board and battery are mounted on the base section, so you will have to be careful not to open the front very far or the keypad will come unplugged. No big deal, but its a hassle to reattach.

And if we can remember to turn off the big switch in the back after playing, these batteries should last years and years.

Ed

One more piece of disappointing news to share about the Troublesome Ten malfunctioning ColecoVision games and the battery fix that was implemented to keep them powered up on the Seagull CV Controller Adapter and the Super Arcade Controllers. The battery fixes the problem on eight of those ten games, and those eight seem to play just fine with no problems. However, with two of those games we have ongoing problems that I do not know how to fix. Unless solutions present themselves, I'm sad to say that they are going to be listed as known bugs:

1. Aquattack controls erratically. I don't think this game will be playable.

2. Defender plays flawlessly except that it fires Button 1 and 2 whenever you press Button 1. That means the first five times you fire the cannon, you will also drop a Smart Bomb. So for all intents and purposes, you don't have the strategic use of your smart bombs with these controllers in this game.

I confess that I don't know anything about Aquattack (it looks like fun!), but the Defender fail makes me very sad. The ability to drop a smart bomb when $hit goes off the rails is a core gameplay element of Defender. Playing without them would significantly increase the level of difficulty. So while the rest of the game plays flawlessly, this if a major deviation from this very solid port.

If either of the known fails is a critical fail for anyone who supported the Kickstarter campaign, we will be happy to refund your pledge or welcome you to reallocate the credit to something else we build. PM me.

I'm going to pin this post to the top of the thread so that anyone researching our lineup of Coleco compatible products will see immediately that we have these known issues.

Likewise, if any other incompatibilities or issues are discovered with any other games that might be played using a Seagull CV or Super Arcade Controller, I will add them to this list. I briefly tested all the classic CV games I had from the commonly-available ROM set, as well as the Flashback games, but we barely touched the vast library of Atari 2600 and 7800 games, so its possible random issues might be lurking. The same is true of the various CX-40-friendly 8-bit computers, which have had zero testing. I would definitely appreciate hearing about any bugs discovered by any of you.

A hack of the game that maps the Smart Bomb to a keypad press instead of a button would be a respectable workaround, if someone was up to the challenge.

Those with an AtariMax Ultimate SD could then still play Defender with Smart Bombs available - maybe mapping Smart Bombs to 1, 2, or/and 3 on the keypad?

Hacking/modifications to Defender have been performed previously.

:ponder:

One more piece of disappointing news to share about the Troublesome Ten malfunctioning ColecoVision games and the battery fix that was implemented to keep them powered up on the Seagull CV Controller Adapter and the Super Arcade Controllers. The battery fixes the problem on eight of those ten games, and those eight seem to play just fine with no problems. However, with two of those games we have ongoing problems that I do not know how to fix. Unless solutions present themselves, I'm sad to say that they are going to be listed as known bugs:

2. Defender plays flawlessly except that it fires Button 1 and 2 whenever you press Button 1. That means the first five times you fire the cannon, you will also drop a Smart Bomb. So for all intents and purposes, you don't have the strategic use of your smart bombs with these controllers in this game.

I confess that I don't know anything about Aquattack (it looks like fun!), but the Defender fail makes me very sad. The ability to drop a smart bomb when $hit goes off the rails is a core gameplay element of Defender. Playing without them would significantly increase the level of difficulty. So while the rest of the game plays flawlessly, this if a major deviation from this very solid port.

If either of the known fails is a critical fail for anyone who supported the Kickstarter campaign, we will be happy to refund your pledge or welcome you to reallocate the credit to something else we build. PM me.

I'm going to pin this post to the top of the thread so that anyone researching our lineup of Coleco compatible products will see immediately that we have these known issues.

Likewise, if any other incompatibilities or issues are discovered with any other games that might be played using a Seagull CV or Super Arcade Controller, I will add them to this list. I briefly tested all the classic CV games I had from the commonly-available ROM set, as well as the Flashback games, but we barely touched the vast library of Atari 2600 and 7800 games, so its possible random issues might be lurking. The same is true of the various CX-40-friendly 8-bit computers, which have had zero testing. I would definitely appreciate hearing about any bugs discovered by any of you.

Let me just say that I for one have been incredibly IMPRESSED AS HELL with the service and dedication you guys are showing towards this project along with the personal level of attention and detail. I don't think I've ever been so happy to have backed a Kickstarter campaign, and I have backed quite a few!

Whenever I purchase a "homebrew" device, in my mind I know that it's not "original hardware" and my expectation may be that it won't work with every single game out there. But I would expect it to work with the majority. You guys have done a hell of a lot to make sure your controllers work with every game they possibly could! Even down to recalling some devices and spending additional money to make fixes to the controllers.

Let me just say that if there are one or two games that they don't work with, I am personally "OK" with that. I realize this is a labor of love for you guys, and trust me when I can relate to the frustrations of wanting to make it 100% compatible, but then there is also reality. I think you guys have proven your dedication towards this project and if turns out that there might be one or two games that I have to play using a different controller, I can accept that.

Thank you guys for your incredible attention to detail to this one! Looking forward to it and backing more projects from you in the future!

(and remember, it's not like there haven't been other products out there with compatibility issues. You guys are already WAY ahead of the Intellivision II!) :P

• Like 5

I haven't been following this thread but today I noticed post #236.

The Adam has the same/similar problem when playing with controller #1. The fix on an Adam was to use controller #2 and it works fine.

2. Defender plays flawlessly except that it fires Button 1 and 2 whenever you press Button 1.

This bug is also present with the roller controller attached to a CV or Adam. This bug, and other bugs in the original ROM, were fixed by nanochess.

Defender ROM (nanochess patch) post #32

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207140-defenders-radar-can-anyone-fix-it/?p=2670792

Edited by ed1475
  • Like 3

Let me just say that I for one have been incredibly IMPRESSED AS HELL with the service and dedication you guys are showing towards this project along with the personal level of attention and detail. I don't think I've ever been so happy to have backed a Kickstarter campaign, and I have backed quite a few!

Whenever I purchase a "homebrew" device, in my mind I know that it's not "original hardware" and my expectation may be that it won't work with every single game out there. But I would expect it to work with the majority. You guys have done a hell of a lot to make sure your controllers work with every game they possibly could! Even down to recalling some devices and spending additional money to make fixes to the controllers.

Let me just say that if there are one or two games that they don't work with, I am personally "OK" with that. I realize this is a labor of love for you guys, and trust me when I can relate to the frustrations of wanting to make it 100% compatible, but then there is also reality. I think you guys have proven your dedication towards this project and if turns out that there might be one or two games that I have to play using a different controller, I can accept that.

Thank you guys for your incredible attention to detail to this one! Looking forward to it and backing more projects from you in the future!

(and remember, it's not like there haven't been other products out there with compatibility issues. You guys are already WAY ahead of the Intellivision II!) :P

Wow, thanks for your kind words! That really means a lot. I just want these controllers to be as awesome as possible. ;-)

• Like 1

I haven't been following this thread but today I noticed post #236.

The Adam has the same/similar problem when playing with controller #1. The fix on an Adam was to use controller #2 and it works fine.

This bug is also present with the roller controller attached to a CV or Adam. This bug, and other bugs in the original ROM, were fixed by nanochess.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207140-defenders-radar-can-anyone-fix-it/?p=2670792

That's fantastic news! What a relief!

• Like 2

Don't forget that the "fixed" Defender rom is also included in my CV ROM Update Project.

Looking forward to receiving my Edladdin controller to see if this fixed ROM does indeed fix the problem Defender - although it sounds like there's no reason to believe that it won't.

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 2

I received my "Super Arcade Controller" in the mail yesterday. I plugged it into my Colecovision and it works great the games I tested expect for the new "Tank Battalion." If I turn on the Colecovision with the controller rear switch in the off position the games starts on its own and the tank sits there and fires all by itself. If I move the switch to the on position the game is better behaved but still has issues.When I start playing if I wiggle the joystick from left-to-right or up-and-down the game will pause. I can either wiggle the joystick or hit the * on the keypad to unpause. The game works fine with the original controller.

Anyone else having issues like this?

• Like 1

I received my "Super Arcade Controller" in the mail yesterday. I plugged it into my Colecovision and it works great the games I tested expect for the new "Tank Battalion." If I turn on the Colecovision with the controller rear switch in the off position the games starts on its own and the tank sits there and fires all by itself. If I move the switch to the on position the game is better behaved but still has issues.When I start playing if I wiggle the joystick from left-to-right or up-and-down the game will pause. I can either wiggle the joystick or hit the * on the keypad to unpause. The game works fine with the original controller.

Anyone else having issues like this?

Wow, that's weird. Without the battery, the Troublesome Ten games have no control at all, just dead stick after maybe a single cap-draining button press. Can you control the autofiring tank?

Does that wriggle trigger a pause in any other games?

In the end, if it's a problem in the building of the controller, or damage received along the way, we will fix or replace it.

If it's a problem in the design, that this game is tripped up by the way the microprocessor translates between the three consoles... That's going to be harder to do anything about.

I don't have a copy to test... Hopefully someone else already has one on hand.