IGNORED

Edladdin Colecovision Controller Kickstarter now LIVE!

edladdin

<cut>

I still have not decided whether to offer the Super Arcade Controller PLUS after the initial stock has been depleted. Tthe price is going to have to move from $199 in the Kickstarter to $249.00 in the store. The finished product turned out to be much more expensive than estimated, most significantly in time to build one, which is a minimum of three hours and usually more. For the same reason, the Super Arcade Controller and Seagull CV controller adapters are probably completely dead. They are more expensive to build than I think anyone would consider paying. :-(

<cut>

------

That's it. Tried not write a wall of text, but it seems to have happened anyway.

Let me know your questions! And THANK YOU for all your support while we went down this rabbit hole together. Its been a crazy ride.

Best wishes,

Ed

Ed,

Your attention to this project and willingness to do the right thing is great. I'm happy that I have the 2 controllers and Seagull CV Adapter that I have, but I am disappointed that this has (seemingly) proven untenable as a product. Particularly the adapter. I, for one, would love to have fewer controllers around by way of adapters. (Honestly, 2 Super CV Controllers with Seagull CV Adapters is a more storage-effective solution than 2 Super CV + 2 Atari controllers. Plus the Seagull adds Genesis controllers to the mix.) That, unfortunately, seems like a dead end at the moment.

I hope that the Atari 5200 project isn't derailed by this madness, and that upon completion of that you can show some Vectrex love. These things are built like tanks and I have no doubts about their longevity. While I don't have a 5200 at the moment, I'm sure I will get one in the next 5 years but based on reviews, that will be largely up to you - without a good controller I won't get involved with the 5200. And I would jump on getting a Vectrex controller now.

Perhaps one day we'll know exactly what the issues are. At least you will be offering a great (nearly perfect) product going forward.

• Like 2

TL:DR

• Brand new Super CV controller delivers 100% compatibility with some ColecoVision consoles, but not every CV console.
  • Super Arcade Controllers and SAC PLUS deliver 100% compatibility on all four input channels, as well as output to the Atari and CV Flashback console. But on the classic ColecoVision a couple of specific glitches remain untamed on certain CV games - mostly recent homebrews. We have no idea how to fix them.

Fantastic news Ed! Thank you! I'll be more than happy with these results.

• Like 2

I recently received my Edladdin controller and love it . I went with a bottom switching 4/8 way silent joystick and my friend cut the hole for easy switching . Nothing beats true 4 way and 8 way .

Is the 4-way setting diamond or square corner configuration (corners are at diagonals for square and L/R/U/D for diamond)?

Hi Ed, so if I understand well, if my current Colecovision with stock controllers works fine with Defender and Interphase Aquattack, then the New Super CV controller will work flawlessly with all the original and homebrew games? Any other games I could test with a stock controller to make sure this is the best decision for me? Thanks again for all the hard work. Jon

Is the 4-way setting diamond or square corner configuration (corners are at diagonals for square and L/R/U/D for diamond)?

These days the connections are all soldered, but this illustrates the operation of the restrictor plate.

post-40253-0-81179000-1497424561_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Ed, so if I understand well, if my current Colecovision with stock controllers works fine with Defender and Interphase Aquattack, then the New Super CV controller will work flawlessly with all the original and homebrew games? Any other games I could test with a stock controller to make sure this is the best decision for me? Thanks again for all the hard work. Jon

Hi!

Thanks for your kind words.

No, that's not correct. Passing those tests with original controllers is not necessarily predictive of 100% compatibility with a Super CV. We proved the negative/opposite case - if the original controller failed with those two problems the Super CV did also.

We don't really understand why the three consoles we tested behave differently from one another with the same controller. Our next guess is to replace the controller chips, but that's just a guess.

Ed

Oh, so now if I understand, there's no way to know until we get the Super CV controller then.

Also how confident are you that if my console was to have issues, the controller chips would be the problem? And if they are, how easy are they to find and replace?

Pretty sure I'll go with this and hope my RGB modded console will pass the test (if not at least my AV modded one). Thanks, Jon

Hi!

Thanks for your kind words.

No, that's not correct. Passing those tests with original controllers is not necessarily predictive of 100% compatibility with a Super CV. We proved the negative/opposite case - if the original controller failed with those two problems the Super CV did also.

We don't really understand why the three consoles we tested behave differently from one another with the same controller. Our next guess is to replace the controller chips, but that's just a guess.

Ed

These days the connections are all soldered, but this illustrates the operation of the restrictor plate.

Okay. Sometimes these have octagonal gates - never tore apart a 4/8 so always figured they switched from square to octagonal somehow.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty bummed I missed out on this. Always late to the party. Just finished rebuilding my power supply and finally have a working CV for the first tim ein 20 years.

Both the Super CV and Super Arcade Controller Plus are still in the pipeline for wide release thru both the Edladdin and AtariAge stores! Here's a Kickstarter pledge Super CV that I finished yesterday, done in the minimalist decoration scheme.

post-40253-0-40780500-1499921858_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Both the Super CV and Super Arcade Controller Plus are still in the pipeline for wide release thru both the Edladdin and AtariAge stores! Here's a Kickstarter pledge Super CV that I finished yesterday, done in the minimalist decoration scheme.

Status check on remaining yet-to-be shipped controllers?

Cheers!

Status check on remaining yet-to-be shipped controllers?

Cheers!

Yes, good idea!

After the last round of updates:

1. Seven backers switched from "Super Arcade Controller" or "Super Arcade Controller PLUS" to the Coleco-only "Super CV". All of those have been built and shipped.

2. Ten backers decided to stay with the "Super Arcade Controller PLUS". Four of those have been built and shipped. The other six are in process right now and should ship next week.

Just for fun, I've attached photos that show a couple SAC Pluses that were shipped last week, plus the assembly process for the current batch. I've moved a little past the last photo, with internal assembly complete on one more and underway on the next. After this, they all need to be tested and closed up.

3. Two backers selected the "Super USB controller", which will be the Coleco control set driven by an iPac interface board from Ultimarc.com. The iPac boards have arrived, but I have not yet built one out.

4. There are a handful of multi-pack pledges with a mix of controllers and/or other goodies. Some of those have been partially fulfilled and others waiting with #2 and #3. All of those will be resolved within the weeks to come. I don't have any traveling in my schedule until late October, so my goal is to have the entire Kickstarter campaign put to bed before the next trip.

-----

Future Plans

5. After the campaign is finished, I expect we will continue forward with the Super CV, the Super Arcade Controller Plus, and the Super USB, while the Seagull CV and Super Arcade Controller will be shelved. We have been maintaining a wait list for people that missed the Kickstarter. We will work with them first, then offer these products to the wider world in the Edladdin and AtariAge stores. We want to be able to hook people up for Christmas.

6. With the USB controller, we are going to play with taking the next logical step and adding RetroPi to the iPac interface board. I want to see if we can deliver the whole enchilada - arcade controls and arcade/console emulation inside one case.

7. Work will begin in earnest on the Super 52 - arcade controller for the Atari 5200.

-----

As always, thanks to all of you for your kindness and patience throughout this epic journey.

Ed

post-40253-0-19943600-1504480807_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-45973000-1504480809_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-40783900-1504480811_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-64650400-1504480813_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-49085900-1504480815_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-96182600-1504480817_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-89706500-1504480819_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-89883900-1504480821_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-67058000-1504480823_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-67938600-1504480825_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-42018000-1504480839_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-56850900-1504480841_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-75836000-1504480843_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-56644100-1504480845_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-81005800-1504480847_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-54986100-1504480849_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-89667900-1504480851_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-62562500-1504480853_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, good idea!

After the last round of updates:

-----

Future Plans

1. Work will begin in earnest on the Super 52 - arcade controller for the Atari 5200 TOMORROW .

-----

As always, thanks to all of you for your kindness and patience throughout this epic journey.

Ed

That is awesome news ! :grin:

• Like 1

That is awesome news ! :grin:

Ha ha... I see what you did there.

Well, the good news on the Super 52 is that some of the most expensive elements were developed in the course of the Coleco project, including the custom enclosures and the membrane keypads. Likewise, a molded DB15 cord is readily available thanks to the Neo Geo. This means we'll be able to bring the Super 52 online without a Kickstarter campaign. We'll just get them ready after we have it figured out, then they will be available for ordering in the stores with no foolishness or delays.

Questions remaining:

1. I've identified two analog joysticks: a potentiometer-based industrial stick and a premium hall-effect stick designed for gaming. Ideally, the controller can come stock with the former, with the option to upgrade to the latter upon request. Stick will be centered on the control panel, with two pairs of fire buttons on either side for ambidextrous play. Keypad will be centered, below the joystick.

2. The biggest remaining wild card is the optical encoder that I want to add as an upgrade option for use with all single-axis games: paddle, steering, and spinner. I've found a really top notch optical encoder, but its really expensive. Still looking for a more economical option.

3. Whether or not to include Aux In ports to allow pass-through use of Atari 2600/7800 controllers and/or Sega Genesis controllers.

4. Whether to include an auto-fire switch for the fire buttons.

Beyond the small increase in complexity of adding #3, the plan is for the Super 52 to be a passive device with the same wiring as the CX-52s to ensure maximum compatibility and minimal foolishness. One great lesson of the Coleco project has been to keep the design as simple as possible, and as close as possible to the original controller(s), to avoid weird glitches and conflicts.

I'm looking forward to the Super 52 myself. I've been playing Dreadnaught Factor every day for weeks and I cant wait to see what this game is like with an arcade controller.

• Like 1

Well, the good news on the Super 52 is that some of the most expensive elements were developed in the course of the Coleco project, including the custom enclosures and the membrane keypads. Likewise, a molded DB15 cord is readily available thanks to the Neo Geo. This means we'll be able to bring the Super 52 online without a Kickstarter campaign. We'll just get them ready after we have it figured out, then they will be available for ordering in the stores with no foolishness or delays.

Questions remaining:

1. I've identified two analog joysticks: a potentiometer-based industrial stick and a premium hall-effect stick designed for gaming. Ideally, the controller can come stock with the former, with the option to upgrade to the latter upon request. Stick will be centered on the control panel, with two pairs of fire buttons on either side for ambidextrous play. Keypad will be centered, below the joystick.

2. The biggest remaining wild card is the optical encoder that I want to add as an upgrade option for use with all single-axis games: paddle, steering, and spinner. I've found a really top notch optical encoder, but its really expensive. Still looking for a more economical option.

3. Whether or not to include Aux In ports to allow pass-through use of Atari 2600/7800 controllers and/or Sega Genesis controllers.

4. Whether to include an auto-fire switch for the fire buttons.

Beyond the small increase in complexity of adding #3, the plan is for the Super 52 to be a passive device with the same wiring as the CX-52s to ensure maximum compatibility and minimal foolishness. One great lesson of the Coleco project has been to keep the design as simple as possible, and as close as possible to the original controller(s), to avoid weird glitches and conflicts.

I'm looking forward to the Super 52 myself. I've been playing Dreadnaught Factor every day for weeks and I cant wait to see what this game is like with an arcade controller.

I think you should skip option 3 . Isn't that where problems started happening when doing the Colecovision controller ?

• Like 1

Questions remaining:

I don't have a 5200 (yet) but that's great news. What are your plans for your next project? I'd love a Vectrex stick (which this layman thinks should be relatively trivial as you'll have sourced an analog stick for the 5200) but that is a bit of a niche market.

Or you can try to hit up the Jaguar market and make an arcade stick with a spinner for Tempest 2000 or any other homebrews that might support that.

Both systems are in need of a good controller. Unfortunately both systems are really small markets.

• Like 2

I just received my Super Arcade Controller + and I'm absolutely ecstatic for it. Such an amazing job! I will definitely buy more joysticks from Edladdin in the future and whole heartedly recommend his joysticks to everyone.

I just played Bosconian on my F18A modded ColecoVision with the Super Arcade Plus on my LG Oled television and it absolutely was the arcade experience at home! Sheer awesomeness.

Aloha from Hawaii, Ed. This is absolutely top notch.

• Like 3