IGNORED

Edladdin Colecovision Controller Kickstarter now LIVE!

edladdin

I think you should skip option 3 . Isn't that where problems started happening when doing the Colecovision controller ?

The real trouble with the "Super Arcade" line of products was that the three outputs had to serve consoles that used three different controller signal schemes. The Atari 2600/7800 controllers are just a box of switches. The classic CV uses the diode array to turn all signals into a 4 item binary code that's read by the console. And the Flashback uses a coded pulses, more like a modern controller.

My impression at this point is that the basic 5200 controller is from the "box of switches" camp, same as 2600 and 7800, just with more switches in the form of the matrix keypad. If that's the case, compatibility with Atari 2600/7800 is a simple pin re-direct with no possibility of craziness. The Sega Genesis controllers are interesting because they straddle the two techniques: the D-pad and fire buttons "B" and "C" are pure switches with dedicated wires in the DB-9 cable, while the "A" and any other buttons that might be present all share the remaining wires using coded signals. For this reason, our Seagull 78 is a glorified pin re-direct since we only wanted to move 7800 left and right buttons to Sega B and C. If my basic premise is correct about the CX-52, then a Genesis Aux-In would be no big deal.

Our engineer will be the one to tell us the whole story about how the CX-52 really works, and I am sure many of you know. If it DOES turn out that any "translation" is required, that feature will be dropped like a hot potato and the Super 52 will feature only the on-board controls.

I don't have a 5200 (yet) but that's great news. What are your plans for your next project? I'd love a Vectrex stick (which this layman thinks should be relatively trivial as you'll have sourced an analog stick for the 5200) but that is a bit of a niche market.

Or you can try to hit up the Jaguar market and make an arcade stick with a spinner for Tempest 2000 or any other homebrews that might support that.

Both systems are in need of a good controller. Unfortunately both systems are really small markets.

I have yet to see a circuit diagram, but I HAVE had a casual conversation about the Vectrex with someone that's been under the hood. I also came away with the impression that a Vectrex controller would be pretty easy to do after the analog joystick is nailed down. As such, I would definitely be willing to do it! It would be a very sound and legitimate reason for me to finally buy the Vectrex that I have wanted since I first saw one in Electronic Games all those years ago. So yes, the Vectrex is actually where I would like to go next after the 5200. :) :) :)

After that, I have to say I am tempted to turn the light on the NES and SNES. I never had either of those consoles, but they are both super hot right now with giant installed bases. Very tempting...

Not to say Jaguar is off the table. Just need to take a closer look when these other projects are done. Same is true for Intellivision. I've found a hall-effect joystick whose field can be mapped electronically to create a 16 position controller, but I worry about all the translation needed to turn those signals back to something the Intellivision can understand. But lord knows, those poor guys need help. Can you imagine using that crazy disk for the last +30 years?

• Like 2

I just received my Super Arcade Controller + and I'm absolutely ecstatic for it. Such an amazing job! I will definitely buy more joysticks from Edladdin in the future and whole heartedly recommend his joysticks to everyone.

I just played Bosconian on my F18A modded ColecoVision with the Super Arcade Plus on my LG Oled television and it absolutely was the arcade experience at home! Sheer awesomeness.

Aloha from Hawaii, Ed. This is absolutely top notch.

Fantastic!!! I am so happy to hear how much you like it. I'm glad it was worth the wait. :-)!!!

After that, I have to say I am tempted to turn the light on the NES and SNES. I never had either of those consoles, but they are both super hot right now with giant installed bases. Very tempting...

I think you would do VERY well with a SNES/NES compatible stick. With as large of an installed base that it has, oddly enough I do not think it has a product like yours available for it.

The other thing I would hope you consider one day is making a stick that is basically a casing for a Raspberry Pi or at least a Pi-compatible USB version of the controller.

• Like 2

Hey Edladdin,

If you look at this link below you'll find an idea for a Sony Playstation controller adapter for the 5200 that was never finished. You might be able to get some ideas from it.

http://www.multigame.com/mastercontrol5200.html

I would like to see a control for Pole Position that works like a wheel or a paddle.

A stick that works like a digital stick for games like Pac-man.

A stick that can also work like the analog controller for games like Tempest, Star Raiders, etc.

A way to move the up and down controls to the buttons for games like Meteroites and Asteroids or even better to temporary move all the controls to the buttons to play Asteroids like the arcade controls.

A auto-fire feature.

I have had a lot of experience with the 5200 controllers for over a couple of decades as well as play testing a few 5200 homebrews, so if you need any input on them you're welcome to Private Message me.

Allan

• Like 1

Not to say Jaguar is off the table. Just need to take a closer look when these other projects are done. Same is true for Intellivision. I've found a hall-effect joystick whose field can be mapped electronically to create a 16 position controller, but I worry about all the translation needed to turn those signals back to something the Intellivision can understand. But lord knows, those poor guys need help. Can you imagine using that crazy disk for the last +30 years?

The Intellivision disc works really well. The problem is the stiff side buttons with arcade style games. Most of the Intellivision arcade style games only use 2 or 4 or 8 directions (two or three of these arcade style games do use 16 directions). An 8-way Intellivision joystick that works with 8-way or less Intellivision games is easy to implement. I see it as an alternative controller for certain games and not a replacement Intellivision controller. You would market it as compatible with these games and only list the games that are programmed for eight directions or less (and doesn't use the keypad).

Edit: And a right-handed joystick option wouldn't be a bad idea. I might not even include a keypad at all; just a joystick with three buttons for left handers and another three buttons for right handers. And a pass through plug for the disc controller. I'd have to double check to see how many of this set of games use the keypad for gameplay.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I think you would do VERY well with a SNES/NES compatible stick. With as large of an installed base that it has, oddly enough I do not think it has a product like yours available for it.

The other thing I would hope you consider one day is making a stick that is basically a casing for a Raspberry Pi or at least a Pi-compatible USB version of the controller.

I'm sure you're right about Nintendo! Every system has its fans who will go for the best they can find. I started with Atari because that's where my heart lies.

The USB stick is already part of this Kickstarter campaign! I really thought it would be a popular pledge item given all the emulator users out there, but only two people selected it. I've got five sets of iPac2 control-to-USB interfaces by Ultimarc, so I have a few extra to play with.

I also have two complete Raspberry Pi's with plans to build out to complete Retro Pi's for testing. One of them is going to be a birthday present for my sister, who is my partner in the family businesses. If it works as imagined, I'm thinking of calling it "Edladdin's Lamp".

???

post-40253-0-87428000-1505280615_thumb.jpg

I'm sure you're right about Nintendo! Every system has its fans who will go for the best they can find. I started with Atari because that's where my heart lies.

The USB stick is already part of this Kickstarter campaign! I really thought it would be a popular pledge item given all the emulator users out there, but only two people selected it. I've got five sets of iPac2 control-to-USB interfaces by Ultimarc, so I have a few extra to play with.

I also have two complete Raspberry Pi's with plans to build out to complete Retro Pi's for testing. One of them is going to be a birthday present for my sister, who is my partner in the family businesses. If it works as imagined, I'm thinking of calling it "Edladdin's Lamp".

2600dapter has its two controller-to-USB adapters which cover most pre-1990 system controllers for around $30 each (atari, colecovision, INTV and sega, plus a mod attachment), so with an Edladdin built for a console and an adapter, gamers are covered for both the console and the computer emulator, if they don't mind the 10 feet of controller + USB cord. I think its harder to go the other way.

• Like 1

2600dapter has its two controller-to-USB adapters which cover most pre-1990 system controllers for around $30 each (atari, colecovision, INTV and sega, plus a mod attachment), so with an Edladdin built for a console and an adapter, gamers are covered for both the console and the computer emulator, if they don't mind the 10 feet of controller + USB cord. I think its harder to go the other way.

Nice! That's a great solution if someone already has a console-specific Edladdin controller.

Hey Edladdin,

If you look at this link below you'll find an idea for a Sony Playstation controller adapter for the 5200 that was never finished. You might be able to get some ideas from it.

http://www.multigame.com/mastercontrol5200.html

I would like to see a control for Pole Position that works like a wheel or a paddle.

A stick that works like a digital stick for games like Pac-man.

A stick that can also work like the analog controller for games like Tempest, Star Raiders, etc.

A way to move the up and down controls to the buttons for games like Meteroites and Asteroids or even better to temporary move all the controls to the buttons to play Asteroids like the arcade controls.

A auto-fire feature.

I have had a lot of experience with the 5200 controllers for over a couple of decades as well as play testing a few 5200 homebrews, so if you need any input on them you're welcome to Private Message me.

Allan

Thanks for this input. I think everything is do-able except for moving control from stick to buttons on the fly. That would be complicated to do with straight hardware.

For Pole Position, Super Breakout, Kaboom!, Galaxian, Tempest, etc, I want to offer an optional paddle/spinner driven by an optical encoder.

I have yet to see a circuit diagram, but I HAVE had a casual conversation about the Vectrex with someone that's been under the hood. I also came away with the impression that a Vectrex controller would be pretty easy to do after the analog joystick is nailed down. As such, I would definitely be willing to do it! It would be a very sound and legitimate reason for me to finally buy the Vectrex that I have wanted since I first saw one in Electronic Games all those years ago. So yes, the Vectrex is actually where I would like to go next after the 5200. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Glad to hear that the Vectrex is currently in the lead.

You seem to have knowledge about how the Genesis controller works, so that might be an easy project to take up in the future.

I'm all for an NES option, but the NEC TurboGrafx/Duo is also in need of some love. I don't know about signal encoding, but the controllers are (to a layman) identical - except that the Turbo family of controllers have built-in rapid fire capabilities. I wonder if it might be feasible to make a signal converter box (like your Seagull 78 Controller Adapter) to allow dual use. It's a smaller market, but I imagine most of that community would be willing to purchase a quality arcade stick. Just a thought.

The Jaguar stick is a wacky idea, but with a flashcart on the way, it's entirely conceivable that the homebrew market might pick up, and you'd be the only game in town, especially for spinner controllers. I don't know if anybody is even currently offering to do the spinner mod anymore.

• Like 2

Nice! That's a great solution if someone already has a console-specific Edladdin controller.

'2600-dapter.com' also sells USB adapters for the 5200, Bally Astrocade and NEO-GEO controllers, so if you ever go that route with controllers, those controllers could also be used for emulation. It also says all five adapters can be used with Raspberry Pi and USB gaming systems, but much of this is something I've no experience with.

Thanks for this input. I think everything is do-able except for moving control from stick to buttons on the fly. That would be complicated to do with straight hardware.

For Pole Position, Super Breakout, Kaboom!, Galaxian, Tempest, etc, I want to offer an optional paddle/spinner driven by an optical encoder.

Just putting this here for you incase you haven't seen this thread starting at post 181 . http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255618-the-atari-5200-podcast-new-podcast/page-8?do=findComment&comment=3849724

• Like 1

Just putting this here for you incase you haven't seen this thread starting at post 181 . http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255618-the-atari-5200-podcast-new-podcast/page-8?do=findComment&comment=3849724

Wow, thanks!

That's the exact joystick I have been looking at for the potentiometer-driven version of the Super 52. I'd like to also offer the hall-effect joystick as an upcharge/option. The hall effect stick is way more expensive on the front end, but has no mechanical wipers or other contacts to wear out and/or create the jitter with which we have all dealt with. Can't go wrong offering people options...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ed,

I'm just curious as to whether the Super Arcade Controller Plus is still in the works for the AtariAge store, or whether you're still taking names for the waiting list. I missed the Kickstarter, but I found out about it with the review on Classic Game Room and have read up on all the threads now and it seems like an awesome product.

I would also add my vote for an NES version!

Hi Ed,

I'm just curious as to whether the Super Arcade Controller Plus is still in the works for the AtariAge store, or whether you're still taking names for the waiting list. I missed the Kickstarter, but I found out about it with the review on Classic Game Room and have read up on all the threads now and it seems like an awesome product.

I would also add my vote for an NES version!

Hello!

Thanks for your interest! The Super Arcade Controller Plus is definitely still in the works. #00011 and 12 will be finished later today, then I just have one more to finish the KS rewards. After that I have to build out the LEAST popular item from the KS campaign, the USB controller. I have three of those to build. And then, at long last, the Kickstarter campaign will be complete!

Immediately after, we will tackle the waiting list. I've just added your name to the list in spot #31. I have been maintaining the list since last March, so I have no idea if all those people will actually proceed with placing orders. Unlike the Kickstarter campaign, we will not accept anyone's money until we are actually ready to build the order, with turnaround times dropping to our usual 1-3 weeks.

So I will be in touch...

Ed

• Like 2

After that I have to build out the LEAST popular item from the KS campaign, the USB controller. I have three of those to build.

The more I think about it, I probably should have ordered one of those, too!

Does the USB controller work with most emulators like CoolCV & OpenEmu? And would it work on a Raspberry Pi?

• Like 1

The more I think about it, I probably should have ordered one of those, too!

Does the USB controller work with most emulators like CoolCV & OpenEmu? And would it work on a Raspberry Pi?

For the USB controller, we are providing the case, controls, keypad, and assembly, but the brain of the thing is an iPac2 from Ultimarc. Now the truth is that I have yet to assemble and test one of these, but I would think it would work with any and all USB devices and emulators. Here's the link for the iPac2:

https://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

As soon as I have my head wrapped around the assembly, I am planning to put an iPac2 and a Raspberry Pi 3 under the hood of a Supreme case (switchable 4/8 controller on a hinged steel panel on an oak case), then install Retro Pi. Hopefully the result will be a true arcade in a box - "Edladdin's Lamp".

As with the actual USB controller, I have watched instructional videos but have yet to actually carry out the whole project. It SEEMS pretty simple in the videos, so we will see.

Ed

Hello!

Thanks for your interest! The Super Arcade Controller Plus is definitely still in the works. #00011 and 12 will be finished later today, then I just have one more to finish the KS rewards. After that I have to build out the LEAST popular item from the KS campaign, the USB controller. I have three of those to build. And then, at long last, the Kickstarter campaign will be complete!

Immediately after, we will tackle the waiting list. I've just added your name to the list in spot #31. I have been maintaining the list since last March, so I have no idea if all those people will actually proceed with placing orders. Unlike the Kickstarter campaign, we will not accept anyone's money until we are actually ready to build the order, with turnaround times dropping to our usual 1-3 weeks.

So I will be in touch...

Ed

Awesome news - thanks for the update, and thanks for putting me on the list. Looking forward to it!

Iain

• Like 1

FYI... At this point I have exactly ONE more Super Arcade Controller Plus to build. That fellow has some customization requests that I am still trying to figure out, or that one would be done too.

On the three USB controllers...

After chatting with Robb A, I'm going to source and mount three "function" buttons in existing 3/8" holes on the enclosure to facilitate having dedicated controls for Quit, Reset, Load Game, or whatever else the users might wish to assign using the iPac2 interface. That should streamline gameplay and usability a notch.

Definitely appreciate those comments. I have not been a regular emulator user since I dug up my old Light Sixer back in 2004, so I've forgotten the keys that one wants to have on hand. And even in those days, it was Stella only. I have never tried CoolCV.

• Like 1