IGNORED

How To: Softmod Your PS2 (HDD, Backups, Homebrew Software, etc)

Skullmeat

Who here has a PS2? Want to expand it's functionality? You can install custom firmware on your ps2 with no hardware mods using FreeMcboot, and a few tools.
DISCLAIMER: This guide is for playing games that you legally own. I do not condone, or will help you with pirating games.

What you will need:
A "FAT" PS2. SCPH-300xx, SCPH-500xx.
(The method I'll be using here DOES NOT WORK on PS2 Slimline models. SCPH-700xx, SCPH-900xx)

A Gameshark 2 (Any Gameshark 2 will work)
An 8mb PS2 Memory Card
A PlayStation game
A USB Memory Stick (FAT16)
FreeMcBoot V1.8b Noobie Package: http://sksapps.com/exploit/freevast/Noobie_Package.rar
PS2 Exploit Utility: http://sksapps.com/exploit/PS2_Exploit_Utility_5.0.zip
PS2 Save Builder: http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/gameshark/PS2SaveBuilder08x.zip

Optional:
A PS2 HDD and Broadband Adapter (SCPH-10350)
An IDE Hard drive (Western Digital drives do not Fit the PS2 HDD Adapter)

First up we need to create the exploit. Open up PS2 Exploit Utility. (Run as administrator)
Once open, you will see this screen:
3D81ID.png

Next, click on the Title.DB tab. Now take a look at your PS1 game. On the front there should be a number like SLUS-XXXXX. The code will be slightly different depending on your region.

SLES, SCES - PAL
SLUS, SCUS - NTSC US
SLPM, SCPM, SLPS, SCPS - NTSC JP

I'm using a US Copy of Vigilante 8, so my code is SLUS-00510.
We need to add it to our title.db, so in the box labeled "Current ID" type "SLUS_005.10"
DO NOT WRITE IT AS IT APPEARS ON THE CASE!
lhW1K7.png

Now, click "Add to Title.DB"
X2Fw9H.png

We are finished in this tab. Next click the Region tab. Make sure your region is selected. Mine is NTSC.
LVI4Z4.png

Now we need to finish creating the exploit. Click the "Create Exploit" tab, and select the "Memory Card Format (XPS)" option.
s2CAdM.png
Click "Create Exploit" Ignore the warning that we dont have any ELF's installed, as we are just installing FreeMcBoot at this time. When finished close the PS2 Exploit Utility.

Next, open ps2 save builder. (Run as administrator)
JXtcDv.png

Click File>Open
Then navigate to where you saved your exploit. (In this case C:\IsCentral
Open IsCentral.xps

You will now see this:
cUO93H.png

Don't worry about any of the files here, simply go to File>Save As and save as "your systemconfiguration.md"
Close PS2 Save Builder.

Next, we need to rename the file extension of "your systemconfiguration.md" to "your systemconfiguration.ps2"

Once finished, copy "your systemconfiguration.ps2" to the root of your usb stick, along with the "Noobie_Package" folder.
HvEiRV.png

Now. Over to the PS2. (I don't have any photos for this step right now)
Turn on your PS2, and put in your Gameshark 2 disc. (Dont plug in the USB stick just yet.)

Wait for the gameshark to reach the main menu. Plug in your usb stick.

Select "Memory Manager and Gamesaves" When asked if you wish to load gamesaves from CD-ROM, Select "No."

There are two boxes, one on the left, and one on the right. The box on the left should be your USB stick, it will show "your systemconfiguration.ps2" and Noobie_Package." On the right, is your memory card.

Press "L2" to move to the box on the left. Highlight "your systemconfiguration.ps2" and press "X," press "O" and then "copy to target."

Restart your PS2, and remove the gameshark. Now put in the PS1 game we used earlier to create the exploit. The game will begin to boot, but instead, we get: uLaunch.elf!
Click the "O" button to open the file browser.
Now, select MASS:/ with the "O" button, highlight "Noobie_Package" press "R1" then select "copy."

Now back out to the root with "Triangle" button and select "MC0:/" and then select "BADATA-SYSTEM/" and then press "R1" and then "Paste."

Now, open "Noobie_Package" and select "FREE_MCBOOT.ELF" It will run the FreeMcBoot Loader. Select "Normal Install with the "X" button and follow the on screen instructions. Once finished, select "Launch FMCB." The system will reboot, and FreeMcBoot will be installed.

• Like 5

This is a really great tutorial, thank-you for posting!

One question, however -- is there an equivalent for the newer, slim PS 2? (I do realize that the inability to install a HDD makes some of these utilities less useful.)

Nice walkthrough.

I have two different machines, one using Free McBoot and the other is modded and using the old ToxicOS.

My third unit's drive is crapped. Anyone have info on replacing the CD\DVD drive on a fat? Type of drive I need etc? Is it even possible?

I think you can, its a separate unit.

This is a really great tutorial, thank-you for posting!

One question, however -- is there an equivalent for the newer, slim PS 2? (I do realize that the inability to install a HDD makes some of these utilities less useful.)

Yes, but those require bootdisks, or cog swaps. The exploit used here only works on FAT PS2s, as it was patched later.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The newest homebrew bootsoftware can be used with an external USB hardrive and a memorystick that contains the homebrew software. Works for almost all PS2 models, except the last ones. Yesterday , I installed the new software, put a lot of ISO files of my own PS2 DVD collection on a 320 gigabyte external USB harddrive and all works 100%. Nice menu. Fast loading. No DVD-lens being used anymore.

Software I use is :

- FMCB v1.953 Installer Updated by SP193 (dec 2016)

- Open PS2 Loader 0.9.3 (2016)

- copy SMS Version 2.9 (Rev.4).ELF onto the \INSTALL\BOOT map (version 2.9 rev 4 is the latest SMS version)

you have to change some settings in the FMCB and Open PS2 loader software to let it recognise your external USB harddrive. (USB sticks work also).

Have fun.

• Like 3

Do all of these soft mods with either an internal or external HDD require the Game Shark? I've got everything else and several spare HDDs but never owned a game shark when I was playing my PS2...LOL.

The easiest version of the softmod is having someone copy FMBC to a PS2 memory card from their other memory card and send it to you.

I BELIEVE there is a method to load it via Gameshark software, but I wouldn't know all the specifics there.

Basically, you don't HAVE to have the Gameshark, but it's probably the easiest way if you're unable to get a memory card with the FMBC on it and don't have another viable method.

You'll have to search a bit more beyond that to find out any further details because that's all I know. V_V

EDIT - Unless you meant if you have to have the Gameshark after getting the software... In which case no, you only would require it to get started. Once you have the proper software (FMBC) on the memory card, you're set from there.

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

I just wish there was an easy to way to get ISO's onto the PS2 fat HDD other than taking it out and docking to a PC.

Yeah, I have some games I'd like to take off and put on but I'm too lazy to take it out of the PS2 and try and get it connected to my PC again. I may though if OPL actually gets updated sometime in here.

I just wish there was an easy to way to get ISO's onto the PS2 fat HDD other than taking it out and docking to a PC.

There's actually a way to copy disc images over a network and into the hard drive.

The short version? Look up PS2 HDL Server and you should find some details.

Below this is a longer version... but it's not very descriptive since I had to piece together what I learned from dozens of Youtube videos and random descriptions on random forums.

You start up ulaunchelf on the PS2 and set up the network address to a static IP. Then turn on the network functionality in ulaunchelf.

You then start up HDL Server on the PS2. (You can find the .elf file for HDL server if you search around on The Google.)

Then you use HDL Dump/Dumb from your computer. (One of those two I mentioned has a gui.)

This allows you to copy a game at a time from your computer to the PS2. You can go straight to it via a crossover cable or through a router/switch.

What I described up above is the basic version of how to do it. I'm afraid I don't have a great link to any kind of tutorial on this.

The only issues I ran into was having to try multiple versions of HDL Server before I found the one that worked right.

This is a great method for singular titles and can be copied in around 20 minutes (or less) per game. Not great if you are wanting to load up a large number... but my understanding is you really shouldn't pull the hard drive out of the console unless you need to. You can end up damaging the connectors.

Edited by KeeperofLindblum
  • Like 2

Yesterday i tried the build in network functionality of Open PS2 Loader 0.9.3 (2016). It was rather easy to set up. You just have to make a directory on your desktop PC/laptop, make it public shared and connect a network cable from your PS2 to a router.

I am now able to play games that are send from the harddrive that is in my desktop PC. A lot easier.

More information how to set up a network connection for PS2 can be found here: https://bitbucket.org/ShaolinAssassin/open-ps2-loader-0.9.3-documentation-project/wiki/eth-mode

There was a method to use Action Replay Max that could load an ELF from a pen drive and start the process. I ran into nothing but headaches and gave up. Apparently, it is easier to send a memory card to someone that has the softmod on it already. I actually did buy a card about 2-3 years ago and intended to send it to someone on these forums, and bam... outdoor soccer started up again, and I just forgot.

If you just want to run emulators, soft modding a Wii or OG Xbox is easier. Maybe I will look into this again as it would be nice to rip my PS2 games onto a drive and just run them from there. Mine is an original FAT model that still works!

Here's an interesting question. Many of these utility discs offer game save compression and decompression. FMCB and related folder cannot be seen by the cheat discs so you can't just copy them over which is why we have all these different methods to create these special MCs. Is it possible to compress FMCB and folder into something that these programs, like GameShark, will recognize? Basically the idea goes like this:

--Compress FMCB and folder on PC side.

--Transfer programs to USB drive.

--Run GameShark on PS2 side.

--Put in USB drive.

--Find compressed files and transfer them over to Memory Card.

--Uncompress files on MC which should cause compressed files to disappear and leave you with a "blank" card (the programs should be there but GameShark can't see them).

--Remove disc and reboot PS2 which should cause FMCB to come up.

Of course, the biggest question is what kind of algorithm did these companies use to compress game saves. If this question can be answered and a small program can be made to use this information to make "crushed" PS2 game save files that GameShark can recognize and "uncrush" then it would greatly simplify being able to make FMCB cards.

Edited by RARusk

I never use GameShark so I can't comment. I spent a good part of the day trying to get the game install over network to work, and failed. There are several versions of HDL Server that can be run on the PS2, as well as OPL. In addition, there are several PC front ends like HDL Dump Helper and HDL Dumb. I got nothing to work. The only setup I got to communicate was HDL Server 0.93 on the PS2 and HDL Dumb 0.9.2.

However, I discovered a newer application called HDL Game Installer from a whiz in Japan, and this finally worked!

http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/PS2/HDLGameInstaller.htm

• Like 1

What would cause the PS2 Exploit Utility to not appear when I unzip the file? I can see everything in the zipped file (7 files total), but after I unzip it, the actual program disappears.

Can you copy and paste the executable (only) from the ZIP file, rather than unzip the whole collection?

In the alternative, does it have some oddly formatted filename that your OS does not like?