IGNORED

SCSI2SD Adapter Works!

Shift838

I always called it [skuh-zee]

(IPA: ['ska:zi:])

Reminds me of one thing I learned on a trip through Peru. There was one site called "Sacsayhuaman" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saksaywaman), and our guide mentioned that this was one of the few Peruvian names that English-speaking people reliably kept in mind. :-D

• Like 2

One of my EZ135 drives failed so I thought 'what better time to try the SCSI2SD device".

Following Chris's lead, I used the Windows SCSI2SD utility to upgrade the firmware to 4.6. I then created a 120MB partition. Once the PC work was done I returned to the Geneve.

First, I replaced the bad EZ135 (Thanks Omega!). Once that was functional I searched for a second SCSI cable since my card has two 50-pin connectors. I attached the SCSI2SD device to the second cable. I did not connect the molex power.

I turned on the Geneve and ran the POWER utility, which found both EZ135 drives, the SCSI2SD device, and the SCSI host adapter. Using the Geneve SCSI formatter, MYS, I was able to in turn create a 120MB partition. I copied files to the newly created partition and as best I can tell, everything is working as expected.

My devices and cable termination now look like this:

[Termination]--[EZ135#1]--[EZ135#2]-------------------[sCSI Card]--------------[sCSI2SD]--[termination]

If I have time I'll try a few speed tests between Geneve OS 6.50 and 6.70RC2. The latter should be about twice as fast.

• Like 2

A few pictures...

I haven't figured out how to mount the SCSI2SD inside my Geneve case. For now it will rest inside an open slot above my EZ135s.

post-25764-0-79585700-1454797130_thumb.jpg

POWER utility showing the devices. The SCSI2SD device is listed as a SLOW device. ;) I don't know why it shows version 4.2 as I upgraded the firmware. Hmmm.

post-25764-0-12164500-1454797115_thumb.jpg

Directory showing the free sectors and a folder I created to copy the PFM flash drive (onboard the Geneve) to the SCSI2SD drive.

post-25764-0-57917700-1454797122_thumb.jpg

Edited by InsaneMultitasker
  • Like 3

yes. Most common "error" was the the missing SCSI-Power, not jumpered, but needed for active terminators.

I think I still have tons of SCSI-equipment somewhere around here, from all generations.

Have almost stopped using that when switched to NetServers (LH3) & Proliant-servers (G2)

When I try to use the SCS2SD with MDOS (Geneve) OS 6.70RC2, it will not access properly. A catalog shows "NOTREADYET" for the volume and filenames.

Attempting to reset the SCSI card with a standard reset sequence results in a lockup. If I disconnect the SCSI2SD, my EZ135s work just fine.

Geneve OS 6.50 works fine.

I have since connected power to the molex connector with the same results.

hmm, maybe it is worth to test the adapter with SD-device on a PC ?

just to see what happens ?

Maybe you want to check your failed EZ-135 there, too ?

maybe MDOS has a problem with the used SCSI-ID ? (too high or low)

Why is the Geneve's Power-tool showing "slow" speed ?

Is the whole SCSI-bus based on 50-pin/cable ?

Yes - all 50 pin cable.

The POWER tool reports whatever the device specifies. So this must be how the SCSI2SD is intended to report?

SCSI ID is configurable - no problem with ID

The failed EZ135 was a mechanical problem; it could not properly mount the platter.

I tested with an earlier version of 6.70 and had different results. For now, I will proceed as if the OS is at fault. There may be a reset problem due to timing.

One thing is clear - removal of the SCSI2SD device stops the OS from failing. There is a connection...

Yes, I think if you eject the SD-Card, you´ll also "eject" the LUNs, and maybe this device behaves like also releasing the SCSI-ID,

to prevent the host-controller from errors (As otherwise, a hdd-device maybe is reported with the SCSI-ID, and therefor is beeing scanned

or talked to by the host, but nothing but error will work as no hdd/partition or LUN is present)

I don´t have the manual of the SCSI2SD or the Controller here, but maybe you can configure the Synch-Negotiation in a different way,

or the synch speed. I must see the menues to find anything :) but this may be handled different, in MDOS 6.50 and 6.70

Maybe 6.70 is a bit "closer" to the SCSI-RFCs, and does not accept "such things" (which are here coming from a setup-issue)

Or just play around a bit with the possible setup-entries of the SCSI2SD and the controller.

There also was a parameter for "holding" SCSI-devices, without matter what they do (?) I have to remember, I have to see.

Ah OK, "Enable Disconnection", maybe you toggle it if you see it (on the SCSI-Controller).

Maybe just play around with all settings, before you reprogram the (w)holy MDOS 6.70 :)

Sure that terminators are OK, and term-power is activated on 1 device at least ?

xXx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the meantime, I got my SCSI2SD as well. I take a 2 GiB microSD card (which will be only filled with 248 MiB, so the rest may serve for its internal wear leveling) and tested in on the Geneve with SCUZZY in GPL mode. I found that SCUZZY only works with ROMPAGE, by the way; otherwise it locks up.

This is my way of mounting that card. The cardboard box is the one it was shipped in. Maybe I'll have to look for a shorter SCSI cable, but this one was the only one I could get hold of. The package had a price tag with DM and Euro (which means that it was stuck on it about 15 years ago - or the seller is already betting on the downfall of the Euro, but I think the first option is true).

post-35000-0-76204600-1456410328_thumb.jpg

post-35000-0-97358000-1456410341_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wow ... now that's pretty cool!

I tested my SCSI2SD device with SCUZZY, as written above, and there was an option "format", but the disk was still unusable. Then I read Tim's message here, talking about MYS, but as usual, you don't find things when you need them most urgently.

Then I had an idea: Why use MYS? There is nothing like low-level format for a SCSI device, and particularly not for a Flash card. It should be possibly to simply use the PC and write a ready-to-use image on the card. This could be done using TIImageTool.

Yes, and that worked indeed!

• Use your favorite file manager to create a copy of your hard disk image which you want to use on the TI/Geneve. Alternatively, create a new SCSI hard disk image in TIImageTool and copy everything on this new image.
  • If you did not create the copy as a SCSI image yet, you can change the type in "Utility". In any case, the image for the SD card must be a SCSI type image. Do you convert your working image on the PC, since you will lose information when converting from HFDC to SCSI type.
  • Export the contents from the CHD to a file. ("Utility")
  • Use the dd command in Linux or install the dd utility for Windows. Note that you must be root/Administrator to directly write to a drive.
  • Copy the extracted raw file on the SD card. Make sure you don't accidentally overwrite your hard disk (which is not a big problem, since you certainly perform daily backups)
  • Remove the SD card, and use it in your TI/Geneve. Done!

(Some of these points could be simplified by using "open device", but I cannot recommend it, as it will be removed in the next release. Working with real devices should be done by special tools like dd.)

post-35000-0-72537100-1456415019_thumb.png

post-35000-0-83916000-1456415035_thumb.jpg

• Like 2