IGNORED

Which console made up most of your childhood?

Definitely the Atari 2600. I was so excited to get it back in about 1982. About 2 years down the road ColecoVision came along and I was so absolutely amazed by the graphics that it became my preferred system. I think eventually my Atari 2600 broke, but I had the 2600 expansion module for the ColecoVision. At that time I spent hours & hours & hours on the ColecoVision.

And as someone mentioned when the crash came along and it seemed like you could get all kinds of cartridges at our local JC Penney at bargain basement prices. Eventually, I got an Atari 600XL and bought Coleco's ADAM computer when it went on clearance. Also owned a C=64 for a very long time (through the late 80/early 90's) too.

Edited by retrorandy

The Genesis. We got a NES when I was in kindergarten, and I did play it, but the Genesis was what we had when I got serious about my gaming. I remember spending an entire Saturday beating the original Sonic the Hedgehog. I once came home from school in the pouring rain, and plopped down to play Sonic 2 without bothering to dry off. My siblings and I used to argue over who got stuck with the crappy jump legs in Cyborg Justice until we mastered stealing parts from other robots. To this day, I still get the Lightening Force theme stuck in my head.

My teen years were defined by the playstation I got for Christmas when I was 13. So many discussions at school about whatever the current Final Fantasy was... but the best reaction was my mom to seeing me playing Parappa the Rapper for the first time. "This is a baby game! Do you know how much I paid for this?!" I still find that comment infinitely amusing.

Intellivision was my first and my older brother and I played countless hours of baseball on that thing. Parents Pong machine doesn't count since I did not ask for it. Then graduated to the Colecovision and countless hours of Wing War on that. The system that gave me the most butterflies in the stomach, though, was the Amiga 1000 in 1985. I remember when I first heard Axel F on the Amiga using Aegis Sonix and I could not believe a computer was generating that quality music.

https://youtu.be/xwo1wEvg9Og?t=49

Between the ages of 5 and 11 it was NES, Game Boy, and Genesis, mostly. Played a ton of SNES at my friends' houses, as well, and the Game Gear also had its brief time in the sun.

From there the PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color, Odyssey 2, Intellivision, Atari 2600, and PlayStation 2 came into play as well.

We were pretty poor growing up. I remember playing my first Atari at someone else's house and thought it was the best thing in the world. My parents was finally able to afford one, and only months later it was stolen. It took a few years for us to get another one used. Megamania was my favorite game. By that time though, the arcades had damaged my perception of video games and the atari felt dated. Then the video game crash happened. I went to work when I was 14 and started seeing commercials for the NES. I was floored. I rode my bicycle to Wal-mart and bought the deluxe NES with ROB with my own money. I still have that Nintendo to this day. Along with ROB. The console has a crack in it. The controllers have been repaired with calculator parts many times. The cartridge slot needs to be replaced. It looks pretty bad overall, but that machine is what I really attribute to my love of video games. The Nintendo brought just enough to the table at that time that I couldn't see video games getting any better. When I was about 16 I bought the Sega Master System. It was a neat machine, but I just didn't "love" it like I did the NES. I also got a Turbografx for Christmas one year. I never bought any games for it besides the pack in game. The NES had such and established foot hold with really good games. The N64 would be the next machine I purchased. Obviously I was grown by this time. It was a good machine for the few titles I enjoy. Ocarina of time and Killer Instinct. At that time I despised the PS1, but my friend had one and it started to grow on me. I bought a PS2 on launch day and have been a Sony man ever since. I know that Atari started it all in my child mind. But Nintendo took me through the years I remember most.

• Like 2

My family got an Intellivision early on and my parents played it more than they'd let me and later on my Brother. We had to have had it since at least 1980. After it stopped working, we got an Intv System III. I didn't get to play other consoles as much while that generation was current.

I got my own NES in 1987. I'd already played lots of SMS at my friend/neighbour's house. I got a Genesis in 1989 and a TG-16 in 1990. I continued to get and play every console until the current generation (I never really played much of any PS3 though).

Throughout, the PC Engine has been my favorite and most played console. I eventually got a PCE tattoo and have worked on a few homebrew games.

Definitely the 2600. It was new when I was 7 or 8 and I primarily played on the 2600 until I was 12 or 13 when the C64 joined the mix. I remember buying a bunch of bargain bin 2600 games for $5 or so from Kaybee Toys with my lawn cutting money. Played the NES in high school and Genesis in college.

• Like 1

Atari 2600.

I guess all those times I use to sneak away when mom and dad use to shop for school clothes in the fall tiped them off about something. Use to be be withthe other kids huddles around the tv at Sears playing Air Sea Battle and Asteroids. That happened over a few years. Then in Christmas '78 or '79 we got an Atari. Man...Space Invaders and Asteroids on Friday nights with the weekend here. Cousins coming over bringing ther games they got for birthdays. Trading a cart with a friend down the block for a few days. Those were fun timers,when gaming was new and fresh. I remember the box arts use to pull me in,thygh the games looked nothing like them, it was quite the good marketing and buzz that Atari had made you wanna get the next game out that was released. I just remember playing Lazer Blast and Space Invaders and staring at the screen in awe to play these at home was just something you could never do before. The year Joust,Dig Dug, Phoenix, and Moon Patrol released was amazing too. Also remember when a close friend got an Atari and the Damn good times to own the system,loved my childhood with Atari.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

As much as I love the 2600 and 7800, I'll have to go with the NES. It seems like all of my friends had an Atari because everybody had one. Almost as a novelty. I was really into it, but my friends weren't. Then along came the NES and suddenly everybody was really into video games. Plus it was around that time where kids grew out of playing with action figures, so weekends having epic G.I. Joe vs. Transformers battles turned into epic Mega Man runs.

Consoles aside, most of my gaming was done on the Commodore 64. I didn't know a lot of people into computers, but the ones I did know had libraries of pirated games which were heavily shared and copied among ourselves. A social as the Commodore was, it had oodles of games not intended for more than one person to play (e.g. Bard's Tale, Ultima, Phantasie, etc). So before the NES came along, it was more rewarding to tell my computer gaming buddies about achievements versus my console gaming buddies about some Atari milestone they didn't really care about.

5200 and then, a few years later the Master System. Genesis thru my adolescence... Gpt a Saturn when I was like 16 or so and didn't buy a PS until I was an adult. I was lucky that my parents were youngish and dug video games; I rarely had to ask for them. I was probably 3 or maybe four when they got the 5200, so they frankly got it for themselves, with the added benefit of me eventually being able to play.

This is where I usually roll my eyes a tiny bit about the video game crash (and the supposed lack of success of the 5200)... I remember my dad bringing home video games for the 5200 well thru 1984- and not necessarily from the bargain bin. We had a ton of them; probably in the 30 or 40 title range by the time you couldn't get games.

Eventually, they realized it was time for an upgrade... they went to Toys R Us and stared at the SMS and NES for literally an afternoon one day and rolled up with the mighty Master System as it had "better graphics," according to them (well, it did!)... it was a very serious decision. The Genesis I did have to do some convincing about... I pointed out around 90 or 91 that SMS games would not be in production much longer. I also assured them that I would not give up playing SMS games, much like I did not giving up playing 5200 games.

Edited by dj_convoy

After my family mysteriously lost our 7800 (I'm convinced that that's what we had now but my memories are kinda blurry) I was only allowed to have portable consoles. The Game Boy definitely made up most of my childhood but I have really fond memories of playing the Genesis and SNES at my friend's houses.

NES. It made up most of my childhood. First we had the C-64 in the mid-80s. I would usually watch my older bro play, though, as I was still pretty young. But by 1988 we got an NES and everyone played it; even my mom. Neighborhood kids would come over to our house to play NES because we had so many games. We would buy and rent games all the time from the local video store. We got several consoles in the proceeding years. But the NES gives me the most, best memories and many of the games still hold up well today and are still fun to play :)

I don't have a single console that made up most of my childhood, but there are a few that I played a lot, from Kindergarten through high school. During my elementary school years, it was the Atari 2600 and the NES. For junior high school, it was the NES and TurboGrafx-16.The consoles I played the most in high school was the Turbo Duo and Sega CD.

Edited by NeoTurboManiac