IGNORED

NOX / Death Chase

BinaryStar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Too bad ... two more games on Vectrex impossible to found in ROM format to play on emulators ...
The problem is not to pay for them, but to found them, and on Vectrex it 's a problem for almost all the commercial games :(

On C64, AMIGE, NES, SNES i've buy many games without any problem, and it's really cool to play them on my pi :)
Why is it impossible on Vectrex ?
Who can help me please. Thanks

7 minutes ago, ClockworkRobot said:

We are exploring the possibility of doing another run of nox/deathchase but please don't encourage people to go looking for illegal roms. These games are our ip, we spent a lot of time and love on them and seeing them pirated is very disheartening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxI5vk8b8xg&t=110s

Some people deserve to be hang upside down by its testicles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClockworkRobot said:

We are exploring the possibility of doing another run of nox/deathchase but please don't encourage people to go looking for illegal roms. These games are our ip, we spent a lot of time and love on them and seeing them pirated is very disheartening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxI5vk8b8xg&t=110s

1 hour ago, lazzeri said:

Some people deserve to be hang upside down by its testicles.

35 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

Damn, sorry to see that, I try to report bootlegs whenever I spot them on places like eBay.  

BUT ????? Who is talking about illegal roms ???
Do you know read ????
I buy my games, always !!!! But in rom format !!!!
I don't have any real console and i don't want them, never !!!
I prefer to have all my games in the same machine, all together, and it's a very good thing !!

I already buy for exemple, and you can ask the author :

https://morphcatgames.itch.io/micromages 10€
https://orionsoft.itch.io/escape2042 8€
https://bonusjz.itch.io/ghostsn-demons 8€
https://broke-studio.itch.io/twin-dragons 8€
https://protovision.itch.io/sams-journey 23€
And many many other ...

I really don't understand why you don't want to sell games in rom format. You only work people that have an old hardware some like me don't want to use and to buy :(
It is so expensive, controlers are not Bluetooth, i can't play it on my video projector .... i want to be free to play games like i love, not like you decide for me ;)

Thanks for your cool answer.

Ok sorry, i'm not in hacking, i don't understand and watch the video, i've never think about these pirate copy ... yes make a pirate card to sell it on internet is bad, It's stealing money from its creator.
And if every one do it, creators will stop to create new games :(

There so many free games over the web, creators don't ask money on itch.io for exemple, and some time i'm happy to give some money for help projects. If every one give 1 2 € ... x 10 000 users you win 20 000€ :D

37 minutes ago, darknior said:

Ok sorry, i'm not in hacking, i don't understand and watch the video, i've never think about these pirate copy ... yes make a pirate card to sell it on internet is bad, It's stealing money from its creator.
And if every one do it, creators will stop to create new games :(

There so many free games over the web, creators don't ask money on itch.io for exemple, and some time i'm happy to give some money for help projects. If every one give 1 2 € ... x 10 000 users you win 20 000€ :D

Maybe you should stick to those free games on itch.io then.

• Sad 1

On 10/13/2019 at 5:13 PM, 128Kgames said:

Maybe you should stick to those free games on itch.io then.

I think we have a lost in translation issue here.

As far as I can tell darknior wants to buy the games but wants the image so he can play it on an emulator.

It is a shame a lot of games aren't sold as images as there are many you can't get hold of as they are only sold as limited cart runs and unless you know about it early you're then stuck with nothing or massive eBay markups that don't actually help the creator.

I'd love to play Starmash Zone from ClockworkRobot on my Vectrex, but that is impossible. I'd happily pay the author for the image if he isn't going to produce any more carts.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, uczmeg said:

As far as I can tell darknior wants to buy the games but wants the image so he can play it on an emulator.

It is a shame a lot of games aren't sold as images as there are many you can't get hold of as they are only sold as limited cart runs and unless you know about it early you're then stuck with nothing or massive eBay markups that don't actually help the creator.

I'd love to play Starmash Zone from ClockworkRobot on my Vectrex, but that is impossible. I'd happily pay the author for the image if he isn't going to produce any more carts.

Thanks, you understand me fine :)
It is a problem to only selling physical games and in limited editions, This favors the ceation of copy pirates as you say ...

For exemple at the first time the author of Twin Dragons on NES only release a physical version ...
https://broke-studio.itch.io/twin-dragons
I can't found and play it :( I write him by mail and he respond me. A very cool guy, and he give me for free a linux proto version of his game, to help me, but i don't use it. I speak with him and he decide to release ROM version when all cartridge are sold out. He do it and i buy him the game ❤️
I'm sure he sell many other rom copy of his game :) And like physical copies are all sold out, it's only a bonus for him :D
I don't understand no one on Vectrex do the same ...

For the moment i have buy an other future cool game that come on Genesis for 15€ in 2020 ... so impatient LOL

41 minutes ago, uczmeg said:

I will be producing more eventually. I just have to wait until i think the demand is great enough to justify doing another run. It's a lot of money to tie up in stock if they don't sell.

3 minutes ago, darknior said:

❤️
I'm sure he sell many other rom copy of his game :) And like physical copies are all sold out, it's only a bonus for him :D
I don't understand no one on Vectrex do the same ...

I don't like the idea of selling roms on the vectrex for a number of reasons.

First off, we make these games for the fun of it, for the love of it. It's not a commercial concern. For me, making the package is as much part of the creative process as making the game. It's about creating something new that could have sat on the shelf with the official games when they were released in the early 80s. You may consider it a bit control freaky but if i create a game i want to control how it is presented and played.

Vectrex games in particular, it's so much about the vector screen and the overlay. If you're playing the game without an overlay or on an emulation, you're not really getting the full experience. I don't want an inferior presentation of my games out there. Take that nox bootleg for example. No overlay. The overlay has the track and start / finish line printed on it. Without it a chunk of the game is missing. If someone's playing that, they don't know that, they just think this game is missing vital elements. That reflects badly on me.  

Also we tried selling roms as an experiment, very few were sold. I think you guys are vastly over estimating the size of the vectrex rom market.

Lastly it just invites people to share the roms rather than buying them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ClockworkRobot said:

Also we tried selling roms as an experiment, very few were sold. I think you guys are vastly over estimating the size of the vectrex rom market.

I agree with all you say and understand.

I don't think ROMs are a big market and yes they are too easy to share, but people are also pirating and making more out of the carts too it seems (although I had no idea there were bootlegs out there).

And yes, I'd rather have the overlay and real thing.

But all to often it's not an option, as the whole production is too much for the average programmer to do more than a couple of times then the only option for those who aren't in the know/lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to order is to either not have or give someone other than the creator a big profit on eBay.

(Of course we have no right to 'have', but often the window of opportunity is so fleeting and there is often those out there who'll just buy for the future profit that make it even smaller...)

If it's not a commercial concern then it's better to have the ROM out there so others aren't making off it illegally and those that really care will still by the boxed/overly version...

Can't argue against the control freak bit though! :)

Edited by uczmeg

47 minutes ago, ClockworkRobot said:

I understand what you mean, but there are some guy like me that want to buy these games.
Maybe we are not many more but we exist ... and it's not because i buy you a game i will share it over the net.
Some buy you the real cartridge, copy it, make bootleg and sell it over eBay, that is the reality.

40 minutes ago, uczmeg said:

If it's not a commercial concern then it's better to have the ROM out there so others aren't making off it illegally and those that really care will still by the boxed/overly version...

Yes sharing rom, always reduce pracy !
The real gamer, that play on real device, and want to have all the Vectrex games will buy you the real game for sure, and they hate copy !!! I watch most of them on Youtube ;)

50 minutes ago, ClockworkRobot said:

Vectrex games in particular, it's so much about the vector screen and the overlay. If you're playing the game without an overlay or on an emulation, you're not really getting the full experience. I don't want an inferior presentation of my games out there. Take that nox bootleg for example. No overlay. The overlay has the track and start / finish line printed on it. Without it a chunk of the game is missing. If someone's playing that, they don't know that, they just think this game is missing vital elements. That reflects badly on me.  

I know you are right and i always play with Overlay for sure. I also myself design and invent many overlay for many games that don't have an official one. All my games avec an overlay made by me, i take many hours to draw them ?
And in emulation, with Overlay and with Shader the games are perfect like on a real Vectrex. It's why i love use emulation :)
I share you some of my work ;)

Vectrexagon (World) (Unl).png

Tour De France (USA) (Proto).png

Vectrexagon (World) (Unl).jpg

Protector and YASI (World) (Unl).jpg

Tour De France (USA) (Proto).jpg

43 minutes ago, BinaryStar said:

Yeah, ROMs don't sell on Vectrex. I tried doing so recently as an experiment and ~10 people bought them (at $5 a pop). Vectrex is a collectors market, most people want the full box and overlay, it's unlikely I'll offer ROMs for purchase again. 

Can i buy you some games rom ? For private use only !

I don't have Vectrex i can only play on emulator. I don't have so many euros to buy the real hardware and i prefer to play on my big TV.

• 1 month later...

People tend to want the things they can't have. There are millions of games out there that play just as well as Vectrex games, but Vectrex games are special because they are on a vector monitor. I don't understand why someone would want to play them in an emulator so badly. Why not buy a Vectrex and some games and wait for those special moments when a game you've wanted for years becomes available? Getting everything I wanted immediately would kill the enjoyment of the hobby for me. IMHO...

• Like 6

• 9 months later...
People tend to want the things they can't have. There are millions of games out there that play just as well as Vectrex games, but Vectrex games are special because they are on a vector monitor. I don't understand why someone would want to play them in an emulator so badly. Why not buy a Vectrex and some games and wait for those special moments when a game you've wanted for years becomes available? Getting everything I wanted immediately would kill the enjoyment of the hobby for me. IMHO...

I think it’s nice to always have something for to look forward to in any hobby. I’m looking forward to the VecFever or some type of similar cart becoming available sometime over the next year or two.

• 1 year later...