IGNORED

Atgames Megagame Expert troubles

Boozle061083

So I bought my son the Sega Genesis classic console from Atgames. It's pretty cool for what it is, I'd like to be able to play my collection with him but as it is I am miles away from it.

Anyways, I ordered one of the Megagame Expert carts from Belgium and three weeks later it finally arrived...

...and it doesn't work.

6XUiOK1.jpg

ltjWv9B.jpg

So that brings me to my point. Is there anything I can do to get it working? I put my games in .bin format in a folder titled "games" and made sure it was formatted to fat32 and still nothing. Not even the 12 built in games show up.

Im not afraid to open it up if needed. I just need it working. Thanks fellas

Edited by Boozle061083

I would try the cart on original hardware if possible. The ATgames consoles tend to use NOAC (Nintendo On A Chip) or GOAC (Genesis On A Chip) instead of actual hardware & quite often the system is emulated.. I've owned a couple of these and compatibility tends to be hit & miss on some of the more obscure titles so I'd think a cart such as that would probably be a miss. The reason the built in games fail to show up with the cart plugged in is that when a cart is plugged into the system the ROM chip holding the 12 games is disabled.

I would try the cart on original hardware if possible. The ATgames consoles tend to use NOAC (Nintendo On A Chip) or GOAC (Genesis On A Chip) instead of actual hardware & quite often the system is emulated.. I've owned a couple of these and compatibility tends to be hit & miss on some of the more obscure titles so I'd think a cart such as that would probably be a miss. The reason the built in games fail to show up with the cart plugged in is that when a cart is plugged into the system the ROM chip holding the 12 games is disabled.

Everything you said makes total sense if this where a normal flash cart like a Everdrive. However, this is a official atgames product for use on their own hardware which is why I'm so confused. I emailed them about the issue, but I have little hope for any loss sort of real answer.

(edit: I thought the atgames flashback units all used a proprietary ARM processor for core emulation. Is this incorrect?)

Edited by Boozle061083

Everything you said makes total sense if this where a normal flash cart like a Everdrive. However, this is a official atgames product for use on their own hardware which is why I'm so confused. I emailed them about the issue, but I have little hope for any loss sort of real answer.

(edit: I thought the atgames flashback units all used a proprietary ARM processor for core emulation. Is this incorrect?)

I believe you're correct in that the main unit uses a proprietary ARM processor a Titan if I'm not mistaken which runs an emulator. I guess you learn something new every day I wasn't aware that ATgames made the cart but I suppose if I'd read a bit better I might have realized that...

I was looking around after you mentioned it was in fact made by ATgames for use with their hardware & found reference to people having compatibility issues with the SD card they chose with the unit only being compatible with Full Size SD & MicroSD via adapter as long as they were SD or SDHC not SDXC so make sure your card isn't SDXC rated. Also what size is your card? you might try formatting it as FAT16 opposed to FAT32. I know the unit is supposedly FAT32 compatible but you never know with these things.

I believe you're correct in that the main unit uses a proprietary ARM processor a Titan if I'm not mistaken which runs an emulator. I guess you learn something new every day I wasn't aware that ATgames made the cart but I suppose if I'd read a bit better I might have realized that...

I was looking around after you mentioned it was in fact made by ATgames for use with their hardware & found reference to people having compatibility issues with the SD card they chose with the unit only being compatible with Full Size SD & MicroSD via adapter as long as they were SD or SDHC not SDXC so make sure your card isn't SDXC rated. Also what size is your card? you might try formatting it as FAT16 opposed to FAT32. I know the unit is supposedly FAT32 compatible but you never know with these things.

Tried reformatting a SDHC card and renaming the folder Games" to "GAMES" and it doesn't work. I also have a Genesis Ultimate Portable handheld to test the SD card on and its doesn't work in Fat16, only Fat32.

I'm getting close to calling this officially DOA. Getting a refund from Belgium should be fun at least :rolleyes:

Edited by Boozle061083

Just to clarify, AtGames doesn't use NOAC stuff. They do have their own Genesis-on-a-chip implementation though for their Genesis console and handheld. The other stuff uses dual-core custom chips with a software emulation layer.

Just to clarify, AtGames doesn't use NOAC stuff. They do have their own Genesis-on-a-chip implementation though for their Genesis console and handheld. The other stuff uses dual-core custom chips with a software emulation layer.

I was just under the impression that all the AtGames consoles used the same proprietary ARM processor just with different emulation layers. Hence why the sound is wrong on the Genesis to achieve playable framerates. I'm really confused now.

(edit: Nevermind. I just noticed who I was talking to. Sorry Bill)

(edit edit: Is it anything like that GOAC that Majesco used on the Genesis 3?)

Edited by Boozle061083

Would it be possible to post a source? I'm not questioning you, I was just under the impression that all the AtGames consoles used the same proprietary ARM processor just with different emulation layers. Hence why the sound is wrong on the Genesis to achieve playable framerates.

(edit: Nevermind. I just noticed who I was talking to. Sorry)

I do find it odd too, but, yes, as you know, those are the facts direct from AtGames. As you'll note, after the Genesis 1 and 2, the Genesis 3 and Nomad also have compatibility issues, so I suppose it's not too surprising that a simplified, inexpensive GOAC would have its own set of issues. It's just a shame some of those issues are related to the sound.

On a side note, we should in fact see improvements in feature-set with the next iteration of the Genesis products due out this year, although it may not directly help the sound. Hopefully I'll get some early hardware to see exactly what improvements are being made.

I do find it odd too, but, yes, as you know, those are the facts direct from AtGames. As you'll note, after the Genesis 1 and 2, the Genesis 3 and Nomad also have compatibility issues, so I suppose it's not too surprising that a simplified, inexpensive GOAC would have its own set of issues. It's just a shame some of those issues are related to the sound.

On a side note, we should in fact see improvements in feature-set with the next iteration of the Genesis products due out this year, although it may not directly help the sound. Hopefully I'll get some early hardware to see exactly what improvements are being made.

I am very interested in this now. It's always fascinating to see revisions of these consoles, even if they do go in the wrong direction like with the Atari Flashback series. If in fact they are incrementally changing the consoles, I wonder if that's why this cartridge won't work and its not actually broken, just incompatable with the 2015 Mortal Kombat Genesis.

I can't figure why sound has hist been a problem with Genesis hardware. Not only in emulation, but even between hardware revisions like model 1 and model 2. Just one of those things I guess. It makes me respect what Snake was able to achieve with his KEGA emulation all those years ago.

I am very interested in this now. It's always fascinating to see revisions of these consoles, even if they do go in the wrong direction like with the Atari Flashback series. If in fact they are incrementally changing the consoles, I wonder if that's why this cartridge won't work and its not actually broken, just incompatable with the 2015 Mortal Kombat Genesis.

I can't figure why sound has hist been a problem with Genesis hardware. Not only in emulation, but even between hardware revisions like model 1 and model 2. Just one of those things I guess. It makes me respect what Snake was able to achieve with his KEGA emulation all those years ago.

Actually, the last several iterations of the Classic Console and handheld have had no hardware changes. I'm referring to what they have planned for this year's (upcoming) version. They sometimes leave the hardware alone for several years and just change the software mix. This is one of those years where that should change.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after several emails and waiting quite a while for a reply from Atgames, I'm still where I started. I can't find any information on the internet about this issue and about possible hardware revisions that could be causing this. So, I guess it's up to me.

I'm going to buy last year's version of the Sega Genesis (the white box version with Eternal Champions and Sonic 3D Blast instead of Mortal Kombat) to see if that accepts the cartridge.

Is it possible the MegaGame Expert (what a name!) does not work on our consoles here in the States?

I had a Firecore Passport cartridge that I bought from South America (Argentina IIRC)... looked exactly like your "Expert" cart and it worked just fine. Well, kind of - different set of file problems since I use a Mac, but anyway... I could see my games and the machine loaded them just fine.

Is it possible the MegaGame Expert (what a name!) does not work on our consoles here in the States?

I had a Firecore Passport cartridge that I bought from South America... looked exactly like your "Expert" cart and it worked just fine. Well, kind of - different set of file problems since I use a Mac, but anyway... I could see my games and the machine loaded them just fine.

Well the Atgames Genesis' are region free so any cartridge from anywhere should work. Which version of the Genesis did you use?

Well the Atgames Genesis' are region free so any cartridge from anywhere should work. Which version of the Genesis did you use?

The AtGames system, like you have. I wouldn't expect it to work on a real/legacy Sega Genesis.

At the bottom of the menu, your games are inside of a folder named SD Games I believe. Need to click on that to see the contents of your SD card. But if you're not seeing the 12 built-in or a different folder at the end of the games built into the system, not sure what to tell you besides ensuring the edge connector on the cart is clean. Even brand new, still a good idea to clean it with a legitimate contact cleaner... could be contaminants or film left from the manufacturing process or who knows what else from Belgium to here.

I ordered one of the Megagame Expert carts from Belgium and three weeks later it finally arrived,and it doesn't work.

Even though the Flash Cart does not work the ATGames PlugNPlay, the "console" is a good price considering all the games built in. Keep it, you can also play almost every Genesis cart that works just fine with it. Hope you get that Flash Cart to work. I almost bought that same ATGames Flashcart until I found out every game rom on most flash carts have to first transfer from the SD Card to the internal flash chip. A concern of eventual fail of that internal flash chip (bad memories of N64 Gameshark carts) due to a bad read.

Actually, the last several iterations of the Classic Console and handheld have had no hardware changes. I'm referring to what they have planned for this year's (upcoming) version. They sometimes leave the hardware alone for several years and just change the software mix. This is one of those years where that should change.

I'm curious why only the Genesis 80 Game Console have an original Genesis game cart slot? The Genesis portable also has an SD slot. I know the Atari Flashback 2 has the capability for a cart after modding and the later editions do not due to processor changes. A shame that earlier Flashback did not come back as a newer Flashback Atari with a cart slot already built in.

Any insight why ATGames does not include cart slots for the other PlugNPlay consoles, possibly maybe add that important feature as the Hyperkin Retron 5. Also any word if a future version might enable game saves to cart?

Edited by CRTGAMER

I'm curious why only the Genesis 80 Game Console have an original Genesis game cart slot? The Genesis portable also has an SD slot. I know the Atari Flashback 2 has the capability for a cart after modding and the later editions do not due to processor changes. A shame that earlier Flashback did not come back as a newer Flashback Atari with a cart slot already built in.

Any insight why ATGames does not include cart slots for the other PlugNPlay consoles, possibly maybe add that important feature as the Hyperkin Retron 5. Also any word if a future version might enable game saves to cart?

Because Sega is quite liberal in that regard (allowing cartridge slots and SD cards) and the AtGames RK2 chip used in the Sega stuff has a high degree of compatibility. The way the other Flashbacks are implemented, it's harder for them to make sure their emulators work with a broad range of software, plus of course, they'd need some type of approval from the license holder to implement that feature.

I can't elaborate at this point, but I think most people will be happy with the two upcoming sets of 2016 Atari and Sega products from AtGames. I look forward to being able to share details when possible.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So I bought my son the Sega Genesis classic console from Atgames. It's pretty cool for what it is, I'd like to be able to play my collection with him but as it is I am miles away from it.

Anyways, I ordered one of the Megagame Expert carts from Belgium and three weeks later it finally arrived...

...and it doesn't work.

6XUiOK1.jpg

ltjWv9B.jpg

So that brings me to my point. Is there anything I can do to get it working? I put my games in .bin format in a folder titled "games" and made sure it was formatted to fat32 and still nothing. Not even the 12 built in games show up.

hi, i'm in the same exact predicament as you. Have you had any luck?

i emailed Atgames but got no response, no surprise there i guess.

thanks,

Val

• 3 years later...

3y hijack :) lol

If the console had a SD slot it could be updated. I did it back in 2009/2010, but for a specific model (sys version, if I remember correctly v112), not a very good update it only changed 2 flags, but improved a bit the quality. Then in 2016 a Russian team release 3 more updates for 3 different "models" good updates, but only for, again only specific "models". Plus before that the Russian scene was fixing game by game they even released a tool the auto fix at least games using the GEMS audio driver. And finally between 2017 and 2018 a brazilian team release a "universal" update for all Atgames clones RK2 based, the best update.
RK GOAC is used by Radica clones and early Atgames ones.
RK2 GOAC aka FIRECORE used by all later Atgames clones.
RK2 aka FIRECORE uses a Truecolor color palete and some other minor enhances/fixes. If used color enhanced MD/G games can be done, thou not compatible with original MD/G consoles.
And for what I know Atgames has license to produce GG, MS, MD, Sat, DC sega home hardware. It may have changed along the years, but the initial contract was that.
(sorry my English)

Edited by Mekanaizer
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 1/22/2016 at 1:40 AM, Boozle061083 said:

...and it doesn't work.

http://i.imgur.com/6XUiOK1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ltjWv9B.jpg

get the 2016 sam's club version with mortal kombat and sonic 3d blast maybe then it will work

On 1/22/2016 at 1:46 PM, Boozle061083 said:

Tried reformatting a SDHC card and renaming the folder Games" to "GAMES" and it doesn't work. I also have a Genesis Ultimate Portable handheld to test the SD card on and its doesn't work in Fat16, only Fat32.

I'm getting close to calling this officially DOA. Getting a refund from Belgium should be fun at least :rolleyes:

i have the portable ones you need to rename it to GAME not GAMES hope this helps