IGNORED

HSC13 Round 1: IXION

Very temping to play both games as the poll was tied, but as ballyalley nearly picked IXION instead of Super Pac-Man, I've selected IXION for the first round. Super Pac-Man and all the other games will go into the next poll as they all got votes.

IXION

ixion.png

Welcome to Season 13 of the High Score Club, nice to see some new, and some returning players :thumbsup: The first game is the fantastic IXION, a game that everyone should enjoy. If your version has corrupted graphics (your gun turret glitches, plus it doesn't turn and fire in all directions) and is missing sounds (how would you know?!) then you need to download the later version: Fandal XEX. Read the comments from the programmer Fred Mack on atarimania. Game Info from the 2600 and from Sega Retro

Hints:

Collect the letters IXION before the timer runs out to complete a level. Shoot or bump the orange balls around to fill in "heal" the blank tiles so you can move around more easily. There are bonus levels where you need to heal all the tiles. Try and shoot the balls at the start of each level to get them moving, and keep them moving. Learn to let your shots travel as they bounce around the screen, rapid firing is a mistake, and... don't stay still for too long!!

When you get the destructive brown balls on, use rapid firing to keep your shots from reaching it (good luck!).

You might notice you can fire before moving to stay still or fire after moving to slide along firing.

If you don't get all the letters in time you get another (usually) harder version of the same level.

Option is pause.

Scoring 12pts for 1st place, 1pt for 12th place. Extra scoring places from 4th (9pts) for additional players.

Simple Rules: Just play and post a score :)

Bonus challenges (1pt each) - to be played as part of normal goes.

#1 highest score on first life

#2 NOT for players who have ever won a HSC round: Highest score on first two screens, in 1 man (1 screen and a bonus screen) players must collect all the letters

#3 Everyone: Highest Score on first 4 screens, in 1 man (2 screens and 2 bonus screens) players must collect all the letters on both main boards.

#4 Set new HSC record [trbb 489,370]

Round finishes Sunday 31st January 11pm UK time (We'll try 11pm this season!)

If you've not already done so, add 5 games to the Play List. Please don't be put off if the same few players win each round, enjoy the games and you might find a few new favourites for your Atari 8-bit :)

GAME ON!

IF YOU MISSED THE START OF THE SEASON JUST JOIN IN ON THE CURRENT ROUND, THERE WILL BE CHANCES TO CATCH UP!

Edited by therealbountybob
more hints
  • Like 2

Good to start the season with some voting irregularties :grin: I went for IXION as it was a better candidate for the first round, Super P is great but perhaps a little hard for some players. If I'd picked both games we would have some grumbles too ;) I'm sure the rotund yellow guy will be back soon [insert rival HSC player name here] :P

Nice work Dope - good to see an early post :thumbsup:

I've added some more links to the first post.

Just about to play now :)

Good to start the season with some voting irregularties :grin: I went for IXION as it was a better candidate for the first round, Super P is great but perhaps a little hard for some players. If I'd picked both games we would have some grumbles too ;) I'm sure the rotund yellow guy will be back soon [insert rival HSC player name here] :P

Nice work Dope - good to see an early post :thumbsup:

I've added some more links to the first post.

Just about to play now :)

Thanks therealbountybob, it's good to find a community focused mostly on games. :)

• Like 1

Glad you guys are enjoying IXION, it's a great game especially for HSC play :thumbsup:

Dope if your English is as good as it seems you might enjoy Pro© Magazine it's all Atari 8-bit and focused on gaming http://proc-atari.de/

Yes another plug for this; if other HSCers want to promote their things or talk about other stuff please go ahead, keeps it interesting.

:)

First four boards 74,410

post-19705-0-84167000-1453554084_thumb.jpg

First life 196,120

post-19705-0-87206600-1453554086_thumb.jpg

Score 346,340

post-19705-0-97299500-1453554088_thumb.jpg

Ok, I'm afraid I won't be able to look at Ixion for the next couple of years... BUT!

1 Life High Score 303400: (Funny fact, I died on bonus round :D)

High Score 535580

Great score Dope and a new HSC record :thumbsup: Looks like we have a serious challenger here ;)

Extra man every 100k so plod away everyone and keep the scores coming. I'll add some more IXION hints to the first post :)

Looks like we will need the first table soon, way to go everyone :thumbsup:

If anyone wants to detail their setup on the Beginners' Guide thread this might be useful to others, particularly if you have emulation with real joysticks. Please list what OS, emulator, hardware, cables, emulator configuration settings - links are good too :)