IGNORED

The darkest game you have ever played?

KWKBOX

Can't recall a game that was technically dark.

I like phychological horror games, so I can name quite a few... The Silent Hill series, of course, but also Alone in the Dark, Ku-on, the Penumbra series, Echo : Dark beyond, Resident Evil (the first ones, for the eerie atmosphere) etc...

But the darkest one is Eternal Darkness : Sanity's requiem.

It's not the most refined game story wise, but the impact on the player, the way it play with you, it's very excellent.

I wouldn't spoil too much, but basically, the game feature a gallery of characters through times, that you read about in a book (supposedly, the Necronomicon) and you play their adventures.

And basically, unlike most games, your progression in the story feel like a hopeless battle. The character you play are meraly able to survive the weakest ennemies, and end up killed in gruesome ways by more powerful creatures from beyond space and time of the Lovecraftian times.

Add to this, the fact that you have a sanity meter. This meter decrease when you encounter ennemies. when it drop below a certain level, your character start hallucinating.

And sometime, the game want YOU to hallucinate as well.

Your character can suddently lose limbs, explode, fall through the floor. The game will goes black screen as if it crashed, lose sounds, etc. It plays with your mind!

Add the depressing storyline to the hallucinating effects and you get a very dark game. And a very excellent game.

For actual darkness--as in, the absence of light--maybe Aliens Vs. Predator for PC, or the updated Aliens: Colonial Marines mod for Doom. Flares and flashlights are as indispensable as the pulse rifle.

For creepiness, Slient Hill PT. I think it was just a demo or something, but god damn. There are parts of other games that come to mind as well, like the the nightmare level in Max Payne, or the "Sacrificial Grounds" map from the new Brutal Doom Starter Pack:

https://youtu.be/oDw4h1rDIRI?t=22m16s

When I first played Descent II, I thought it was really cool that you could now shoot out the lights. Then I discovered you really don't want to do that.

For ambiance, I don't play a lot of scary games, so I'll probably have to go with the original Haunted House.

Doom 3 is impossible to play without the flashlight. There are entire stretches of gameplay in pitch darkness where you have to spot your targets with the flashlight, and if you're playing the OG Xbox version you can't use the light and the gun at the same time.

... I'll probably have to go with the original Haunted House.

Thats what I was gonna say. Really? IS there a darker game? Aside from Game Selection 1, it's just... black! With two eyes, and the occasional monster... even when you strike a match, it's still flickers between orange and black! The room is black, the floors are black, the stairs are black. It is THE darkest game!

I like Doom 64 and it was neat to look at when it came out, but it was too bright and colorful to feel dark or intimidating and the pre-rendered models look like chibi plastic toys. It's like a My Little Pony take on Doom.

Shadowman is a good choice. Some of the cheezy dialogue cuts it close, but the overall tone is balanced well, even with Jaunty thrown in.

Tengai Makyou Fuun Kabuki Den and The Apocalypse IV get very dark very often, even though the series is supposed to be wacky. Quite a few legitimately disturbing scenes.

AD&D Cloudy Mountain is still one of the scariest games I've played. Doom aped all of its intimidating and mood setting techniques.