IGNORED

Bad experience with this vintage Commodore reseller.

Guest LiqMat

A follow up to an earlier thread I started -> http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247143-looking-for-a-replacement-mos-6560/

I ordered from this guy/company dean7878 with Dean's Computers also called 1980's Vintage Computers @ http://www.80svc.com and asked them if they had a 6560 IC available for the VIC-20 and they said yes. They sent me an invoice via PayPal and I paid them on Dec. 26th. To this day I have never received the item in the mail nor has the reseller responded to any of my numerous emails after I paid them. Luckily PayPal judged in my favor for a full refund via their PayPal Buyer Protection Program. PayPal is fully refunding me out of this Dean's Computers account and they stated if this company does not have the funds for the refund they will reimburse me anyway and limit the reseller's PayPal account. I gotta say... A+ for PayPal for helping out on this.

Just wanted to share with guys so you can avoid what I had to go through with this company/person or whatever they are.

Edited by LiqMat
  • Like 2

I have a similar experience with the same vendor. I ordered a SID from him a month and a half ago, never got any shipment and my numerous emails got ignored the same way. This vendor used to be legit but from what I see there is nothing good coming from him in the past two months. His website has been updated twice since December so its not a matter of him being stuck in a shack in the middle of the woods or a hospital bed... I hope I'll have the same luck as you did with paypal. I lost a considerable amount of time over this. Waiting for the mail, reading documentation, building the circuit and developing the software to test/run it on, trying to reach him... And now I have to from scratch with the YM2149f since it's a lot cheaper and widely available. I was planning on buying a c64 and a 2600 from this guy eventually, so in a way I'm glad I got burned for a 40$ chip and not hundreds of bucks worth of systems.

So until this guy come out and explain himself my advice is to stay away from Dean7878 or 80svc.com.

(My apology for this whiney first post, but since this is coming up on top of google search for this guy I thought it would be a good idea to corroborate the story and warn potential customers. I might stick around or at least lurk the forums, I'm not much into retrogaming but 80s hardware and emulation is kind of my thing. )

Edited by xbg
  • Like 2

Thanks xbg for the post. I am having a hard time locating a 6560 by itself and it really is unfortunate this guy is not delivering as I would have given him repeat business as I also do hardware restoration as more of a hobby than a business. My problem is, yes, I could buy another VIC-20 to pull the 6560 from, but then my OCD wont let me NOT restore that VIC-20. LOL So it's better that I just get the chip all by its lonely.

• 2 months later...