IGNORED

USPS rate hikes went into effect on Jan. 17th.

Christophero Sly

Just a note I think Smart Post is way up as well. I shipped some autoparts last night, usually smart post would be about 5-15 bucks cheaper on avg. then fed ex ground or parcel.But on the last few packages I checked it was either the same or even more than normal ground. So it looks like forget smart post being the cheapest option on larger / heavier items. SInce its a split delivery between fed ex and usps I guess it makes since its more money if USPS raised their rates. But they must have really jacked them up for smart post.

Just use UPS (or Ontrac for western American states) - this USPS rate-raping is getting ridiculous. I own a printing company and really can vouch for UPS & Ontrac - they're the best, with the best rates in my neighborhood. If I'm mailing/shipping something small (like a 1-2 lbs envelope, I might still use USPS....gonna have to check out those new rapes...errr rates.

At this rate, they'll price themselves right out of contention. Wait, they've already done that with larger, heavier packages. ;)

the postage rate was on my priority mail box i just got from USPS- 34 friggin dollars!

i've been shipping stuff that's heavier than 2-3 pounds via UPS in the last few months.

the postage rate was on my priority mail box i just got from USPS- 34 friggin dollars!

i've been shipping stuff that's heavier than 2-3 pounds via UPS in the last few months.

34 dollars? Wow that's way too high.

Lately I have been having the worst of luck getting the USPS to drop off packages (or calculate the $ properly the first time around).

34 dollars? Wow that's way too high.

Lately I have been having the worst of luck getting the USPS to drop off packages (or calculate the $ properly the first time around).

Yeah, USPS package rates have been steadily marching upwards the past decade. International rates have gone through the roof, they are pretty ridiculous. The price increase from three pounds to four pounds for international packages is insane, but all of it sucks now.

..Al

Yeah I usually include shipping the price when I mod peoples consoles for them, but will likely have to rethink this and either increase the rate of the mod projects, or add for the actual shipping. problem is, I don't know what the shipping cost will be until I go to ship it. As an example, when I modded John Hancock's intellivision it cost him like 13.80 to sent it to me USPS Priority. However, when I shipped it back to him about a month later, it ran me just south of $24 to send it back to him?! Apparently the main issue when I asked about why this was, was that he specifically still has 3 day priority as an option being on the coastal area. However where I live all priority is treated as 2-day priority and 3-day shipping starts at 1st class. So...yeah...interested to see what the new rates will do on this.

You should make a specific price for the modding that is a flat rate and then charge whatever shipping will be. I live in NY so practically everything I sell of any weight has to be sold w/calculated shipping. Even if I can drop it in a flat rate box, shipping to say Ohio may be cheaper than a flat rate at times.

The only things I can really figure on the same cost everywhere is first class. Many times I will figure a flat rate box price in and if someone close to me buys and it is cheaper to do priority non flat rate then I save a few bucks. I always just put priority then I have the option of whether to use a flat rate or not.

Dimensional weight pricing can significantly increase your shipping costs. A 3 lb. item in a 12"x12"x12" box would cost $14.47 to ship to a zone 8 destination. That same 3 lb. item shipped in the 12"x12"x14" box used in the example would cost $37.49 to ship to that same destination.

If that 3 pound item were actually 2 items instead, and you were placing them both in a 12x12x14 you would pay more than you would to place each item separately in 12x12x12 boxes. That is crazy.