IGNORED

Parker Bros. "Reactor" made in France?

Raticon

Title says it all. Was going through my carts to see what i should sell and what i should keep, as i have a ton of NTSC carts for some reason that i can't be arsed to play with the wonky colors i get. I'm PAL.
Reactor is one of them, but apparently the cart is made in France?

My other Parker Bros. carts are the Star Wars ones and they're made in Malaysia, and Tutankham doesn't say where it's made.

4FwRJnN.jpg?1

Anyone know why they bothered with making the carts for Reactor in France as they didn't sell Reactor in PAL versions anyway? At least according to the list here on AA.

They have sold more PAL Reactor than you think, also in France.

Look closely in our database and you will find there currently more Parker PAL titles, as elswhere. ;)

http://www.atariboxed.com/index.php?go=output&dir=DESC&rows_per_page=50&module_title=reactor&select_company=55&select_tv=P&select_system=1

Edited by Schitti

I thought France used SECAM.

They did and still do. This is, however, not a SECAM cart nor a PAL cart. It's NTSC cart that for some reason happens to be made in France, while Parker Bros. other carts were assembled in Asia (at least the 4 or 5 others i have).

When i play the game in my PAL console none of the colours look like they should, based on screenshots and videos of gameplay found online, much as my other NTSC carts also get wonky colours.

I'm not into believing this is some rare cart or something silly like that, i just find it curious that Parker would have cart cases for this particular game made in France and ship them to what i presume is North America to be assembled, or perhaps they made the whole cart in France and shipped them to the US complete? I have no other Parker game as old as Reactor and all the later ones all say "Malaysia" on them or doesn't state where it's made.

I'd love for other people to check where their Parker Brothers carts were made and see if more cart cases were made in France, if it's just older carts, if it's random or just Reactor.

Of course that is a possibility, but since it's not exactly easy to find such high quality scans of the backside of parker bros. carts so that the "made in ..." part could be read and i don't know anyone other than me locally that plays Atari that i can go to and check his carts i guess i'll leave it to speculation and philosophy for my own. I just happen to bog down my mind in trivial details like these and start to wonder "how and why".

I dont think they altered the colours for PAL. Does your TV switch to 60hz when you play the game? If not, then they just didnt convert the colours for PAL. Some Parker games had leaflets explaining the colour differences. Photos of the sheet and the first level on my PAL cart are below.

post-42993-0-62437600-1453636653_thumb.jpg

post-42993-0-80539900-1453636890_thumb.jpg

For the broadcasting yes, but the TV set will still be in secam, or?

Modern TV sets are just like computer monitors now. They are just digital things dealing with digital signals. They don't think "analog" anymore. Most TV sets are worldwide identical.

You can feed 720p, 1080p, etc, at 50hz, 60hz, whatever, they handle all. Some don't even deal with old analog parts now.

A few monthes ago, a new French law even removed the Scart/Péritel inputs from all sold TV sets! You can't plug an old VCR or an old console with them.

Modern TV sets are just like computer monitors now. They are just digital things dealing with digital signals. They don't think "analog" anymore. Most TV sets are worldwide identical.

You can feed 720p, 1080p, etc, at 50hz, 60hz, whatever, they handle all. Some don't even deal with old analog parts now.

A few monthes ago, a new French law even removed the Scart/Péritel inputs from all sold TV sets! You can't plug an old VCR or an old console with them.

That's rather extreme. Did the French entertainment industry force "plugging the analog hole" via the government onto the electronics companies' wares?

I dont think they altered the colours for PAL. Does your TV switch to 60hz when you play the game? If not, then they just didnt convert the colours for PAL. Some Parker games had leaflets explaining the colour differences. Photos of the sheet and the first level on my PAL cart are below.

Very interesting. I will have a go at my 2600 tomorrow and check on this. I could swear the colors i got looked quite different compared to those i saw online from presumably the US version. My TV doesnt change the hz as its an older set. I will get back to you on this.

Yes is actually quite extreme and frankly a bit crazy i think. Do the manufacturers have to plug the scart connectors or something?

Scart is getting very rare on TV sets here but according to the dude who run the TV shop locally its the manufacturers removing it because most people use HDMI anyway and perhaps composite these days, but there is still new sets with scart to be found if one looks around a bit. My TV in the living room is a 50" Panasonic Viera i got new in 2008 and as such still accept bith analog and digital albeit the analog net is down for us now and i can select between PAL, NTSC and SECAM in the menu which i toyed around with recently to see if a Flashback i have gets less blurry. I have digital TV via satellite and if i change to something else than PAL the picture gets crazy and/or black & white so i guess it must still have something to do with it for us.

Edited by Raticon

Very interesting. I will have a go at my 2600 tomorrow and check on this. I could swear the colors i got looked quite different compared to those i saw online from presumably the US version. My TV doesnt change the hz as its an older set. I will get back to you on this.

If your tv doesnt change hz and the screen isnt rolling i would say its most likely a PAL cart.

If your tv doesnt change hz and the screen isnt rolling i would say its most likely a PAL cart.

I have a whole bunch of NTSC carts that i basically got screwed over when i bought them some years ago. Not one of them has the screen scrolling, but all of them have the colors going crazy looking almost like they are inverted, and some are in black & white but no scrolling at all.

Do you have ALL australian Parker titles in your collection?

AtariBoxed.com Parker Australia

I'm looking for the serial number from Sky Skipper.

(and possibly a scan)

;)

I just had a look and sky skipper is one of mine that isn't made in australia. I do have one that is made in australia that is not on your list, strawberry shortcake.