IGNORED

Atari800MacX import help?

Savetz

Can anyone give me help on importing files from my Mac into the virtual Atari on Atari800MacX? When I import the BAS or LST file, it seems to import, and I can see it in the directory, but I can't LOAD or ENTER or even delete the file — I always get ERROR 146.

post-803-0-73774600-1453653229_thumb.png

(I feel like Atari800MacX is starting to get old, not keeping up with MacOS updates. I know the author is busy with his life but it's starting to become a problem with the app.)

thanks

Kevin

(I feel like Atari800MacX is starting to get old, not keeping up with MacOS updates. I know the author is busy with his life but it's starting to become a problem with the app.)

thanks

Kevin

Can't help you with the specific problem there, Kevin, but I agree. I exchanged emails with the author awhile back and as you said, he was busy with grad school and a new family last I heard. I downloaded the source and tried to recompile it for 10.10 last year but Xcode barfed on some of the libraries and I frankly lack the modern programming skills to figure out why, or how to fix it. Phaeron has done wonderful work with Altirra, and it DOES run under CrossOver/WINE, but it has such a clunky, Windows-centric interface and tons of arcane keyboard combos you have to find by reading the very dense - albeit very thorough - documentation. Incredibly powerful but getting it all to run is harder for Mac users than we'd like.

• Like 1

Hi Kevin

I use this emulator a lot. Should you not be using BASIC to enter list files? Make sure you have BASIC enabled in the media window then try ENTER "D:TEST4.LST" from the READY prompt.

I'm learning to use the TurboBASIC XL Parser tool, which is a program that runs on my Mac, to create compressed TBXL programs. After being created on the Mac, they have to be imported using Atari800MacX, then ENTERed or LOADed using TBXL. When I do the enter or load, is when I get the error. If I go to DOS and just try to delete the file, same error. It's like the import function is creating invalid files.

—Kevin

I think the problem's fixed — though I'm not sure why.

I created a fresh new disk image (enhanced density this time) and wrote MyDOS to it from a different disk (in case my MyDOS really was corrupted as FlashJazz suggested) . . .and it imported nicely.

So — I think(?) problem solved. Thank you all for your help.

This is due to mixing MyDOS and Atari DOS formats on the same disk. FINAL.LST has the MyDOS extended sector link bit set in the directory (bit 2), but the sector links have the file ID set on them. This causes MyDOS to attempt to read sector $0CEF instead of $00EF.

As for the strange error 146, that's an issue in the Atari800 core. Its disk emulator sends a device error instead of a NAK for an out of bounds sector number, and the SIO patch returns error 146 for a device error instead of error 144. I believe the latter was recently fixed on the dev line.

• Like 4

Yes, what Stephen said! Thanks, phaeron!

I guess I somehow imported DOS 2 files into the MyDOS disk. I didn't know they didn't mix. I suppose if I need to do that in the future, I should import into a DOS 2 disk, then use the MyDOS copy file command to move the file from the DOS disk to the MyDOS disk.

• Like 1

Well, the MyDOS disk format should be backwards compatible with DOS 2 for a single density disk as long as you don't use MyDOS-specific features. For some reason, you have an SD disk where some of the files have extended sector link encoding. There's no reason to use extended sector link encoding for an SD disk since it has less than 1024 sectors and doing so just causes a gratuitous incompatibility with Atari DOS. This version of MyDOS seems to always use extended sector links, which is... not a good idea.

As for what caused the corruption, my guess is that you used a utility to drop files on the disk that didn't know about the MyDOS extensions and didn't rewrite all of the flag bits in the directory entry, causing this problem.

Hi to all:

Well, I had some damaged atr files, too. From time to time they get lost. But this is rather very rare. Therefore, I created all DOS versions as atr images on the wiki.

The Atari800MacX 4.6.0 is a few years old, but runs fantastic. Mark did a great job! But has a hell of work to do...

Anyway, the emulators runs from 10.6.x to the latest Mac OS X without any problem. :-) He really did know how to program. :-)))

There are many who like a "Clunky, Windows-centric interface." Myself Included.

:)

Heh. I get it. I used Windows personally from 2.0 through XP, managed office machines with XP and Win7 for many years, and still use Windows at work daily. That said, when I'm on my Mac, I like (and prefer) OS X-standards for the UI. Having to mix the UI's on one machine when running a Win application on a Mac is just disconcerting and a bit frustrating. I also personally think Altirra would benefit from a single, integrated "control panel" type pop-out application window where you could set every single major emulator option in one virtual place, rather than buried in several different drop-down windows. But at the same time I realize that's a personal preference of mine, not necessarily anyone else, and fully recognize the phenomenal job Phaeron has done by creating and continually improving it.

• Like 2

Hey Kevin. Set a folder or two aside on your Mac. Then enable hard drive emulation. You can access through H1 to H4. I use this all the time to xfer files in and out of the emulator without a hassle.

post-37823-0-15991600-1454112480_thumb.png

post-37823-0-50146600-1454112030_thumb.png

If you run into a DOS that doesn't like H:, enable D: patch, then just use drive 5 and 6 to access what would be H1 and H2.

Enable H: Patch

This checkbox determines if the Hard Disk Drive Device patch is applied to the OS. The H: ('Hard Disk') device gives access to every file on your Macintosh to every Atari program. The device number specifies the base directory to be used and if the text conversion is applied:

• H0: – program directory, no conversion
  • H1: - H4: – directories #1-#4, no conversion
  • H5: – program directory, text conversion applied
  • H6: - H9: – directories #1-#4, text conversion applied

Enable D: Patch

This checkbox determines if the D: Hard Disk Drive Device patch is applied to the OS. This patch overrides drives D5: through D8: and uses then to access some of the same Macintosh directories that the H: device does. The device number specifies the base directory to be used and if the text conversion is applied:

• D5: - D6: – directories #1-#2, no conversion
  • D7: - D8: – directories #1-#4, text conversion applied