IGNORED

PC to TI transfers with stock RS232/nanopeb and HDX server

arcadeshopper

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey there, All, and, Greg! :-)

I got my nanoPEB to "transfer" files to PC , and, back again, using the TIHDXserver! One more question:

If I use a PCI-RS232-serial card in my other PC (No direct "serial ports")...will it still work as well as a USB-2-RS232 card?

AND, what about USB "3" now? I have a couple of USB "2" ports, but, most of PC's USB ports are "3"'s now? Are they "backward's compatible"?

Thanks, in advance, and, Good Job on the "Tutorial" for using HDX-server and RS232/nanoPEBs :thumbsup:

Sincerely,...

Jt

• Like 2

Glad to hear you got it working. It works with usb ports but frankly there are usb RS232 ports and there are cheap crappy chinese knockoff usb RS232 ports. stay away from the latter

I have good luck with these: https://www.amazon.com/GearMo-Adapter-Indicators-Windows-Support/dp/B00AHYJWWG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1484205457&sr=1-1&keywords=ftdi-led&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=f2f806b46fb33c68729563a07d73019f

ftdi chipset ftw.. usb port number doesn't matter you just set that in hdx to the correct usb port for your adapter. also works in wine on linux

Greg

Hey there, All, and, Greg! :-)

I got my nanoPEB to "transfer" files to PC , and, back again, using the TIHDXserver! One more question:

If I use a PCI-RS232-serial card in my other PC (No direct "serial ports")...will it still work as well as a USB-2-RS232 card?

AND, what about USB "3" now? I have a couple of USB "2" ports, but, most of PC's USB ports are "3"'s now? Are they "backward's compatible"?

Thanks, in advance, and, Good Job on the "Tutorial" for using HDX-server and RS232/nanoPEBs :thumbsup:

Sincerely,...

Jt

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Glad to hear you got it working. It works with usb ports but frankly there are usb RS232 ports and there are cheap crappy chinese knockoff usb RS232 ports. stay away from the latter

I have good luck with these: https://www.amazon.com/GearMo-Adapter-Indicators-Windows-Support/dp/B00AHYJWWG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1484205457&sr=1-1&keywords=ftdi-led&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=f2f806b46fb33c68729563a07d73019f

ftdi chipset ftw.. usb port number doesn't matter you just set that in hdx to the correct usb port for your adapter. also works in wine on linux

Greg

Bump

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bump

Nice... I see what you did there! ;)

Even though the solution asked for was without floppy or serial, without an HxC this looks to be the only other viable method. I hope he has an RS-232 in his P-Box.

I have a '99 w/ PEB and the usual slotted in and a FlashROM99. Is there some mechanism where I can type in a BASIC prog on a modern machine and get it onto the SD card and somehow have it accessible as an Extended BASIC program? All this without using floppy disk or a serial link?

Thanks folks.

• 1 month later...

This works great on a geneve with a TI card (and I assume a corcomp as wel) in GPL using cfhdxs1 (with our without rompage) with a straight through cable on rs232/1 to a pc and hdx server. just tested it

I walked another person through this process this week so figured I'd put some of this knowledge down here..

You need:

TI-99/4a with either a RS232 card (TI and Corcomp have been tested, someone needs to test a myarc card) OR a nanopeb.

CFHDXS1 software on the tI OR a XB27 suite cartridge which has that software included as option U.. You can order both of these on arcadeshopper.com for a reasonable fee.

A rs232 cable (for the TI RS232 card) or a null modem cable (for the nanopeb) with the right ends on it for the PC side and the TI side.

A PC with a REAL RS232 port or a quality USB to RS232 adapter. Cheap new ones tend to have issues. I picked up a nice 25pin one at the local recycler that works great! A rs232 card for a desktop costs less than $20 on newegg/amazon.

Connect the cable from the PC to the TI. Remember that you use a straight through cable for the TI cards, and a null modem cable for a nanopeb. That's because the nanopeb maker decided to put a PC style rs232 port on it so it's backwards from a TI port.

PC Side:

go here: http://www.ti99-geek.nl/

Click on projects then TI99HDX Server, download the server software latest version. Install on your PC somewhere you can find it. (I did C:/hdx/)

Run this program it looks like this: http://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/ti99hdx/ti99hdxsrvr_ico.gif

Select Options and point the TI99 files directory to a directory you store FIADS or v9t9 format files into, if you don't have one, for simplicity make a C:\tifiles directory and use that.

Select Options and select the correct COM Port under Communications Settings.

Also get the ti99DIR file manager software from that site and install that on your PC. Point one side of it at that same directory (C:\tifiles or whatever directory you picked above) you do this by hitting file, then select directory.

Point the other side at your downloads folder or your ti disks folder where you store disk images and downloads for the TI. whatever applies in your situation. You select which side you want to work with by clicking on it with your mouse and it will highlight.

You can then click into disk images and archive files and copy the individual files to the tifiles directory.. This is important as that is the file directory you will see on the TI-99/4A.. You can shift-click files to select groups then right click to pick copy. On the tifiles side you will note that the files either state they are TIFILES or V9T9 files on the right side of the listing. If they are not V9T9 files, you must convert them with the tools menu, convert TIFILES to V9T9 file.

Leave HDX server running on the pc..

TI Side:

Open CFHDXS1 with editor assembler, funnelweb, xb loader, dm2k, etc.. OR insert the XB27 cart and hit U.

At this point you should get a fun message to the effect of " Ti99Hdx: <TI99/4a Initialized, HDX DSR version 02>" on the hdx server software on your pc. If you do not get this message you have either a cable problem OR a rs232 problem.

Hit any key on the TI and then enter HDX1. in the SRC: prompt this should give you a listing of the files in the tifiles directory on your PC. You can select files with INSERT (Fctn-2) and then hit PROCEED (Fctn-6) to pick copy.. then enter the TI disk drive you wish to copy too DSK1 etc.. in the DST: prompt and it's copying files from your PC to your TI.

For more help with CFHDXS hit H when it is running and it will display it's help screen.

Reverse the SRC and DST to copy the other direction.

Classic99 will read these files if you copy them into the DSK folders, alternatively you can just point HDX server to use the DSK1 folder under your classic99 directory and files can be used there directly.

• Like 2

Thanks for bumping this. I think I May actually give it a try this Friday. My TI To-Do list is growing. If not this weekend (Holiday) then next for sure.

I want to try and get TIWeb working via rs232 to PC running UDS emulator. I'd love to get HDX server working in both directions. Have a lightpen or two I want to build and I still have yet to try out the Serial mouse I purchased.

Zombi is going to be my winter project I think.

4 port cart switcher has become unnecessary with FinalGrom99 (for me anyway) so that one will site on the back burner until I wrap my head around PCB design software.

But this HDX server setup is something that I've wanted to do for a while now.

• Like 1

HDX is awesome, even if you don't have the daughterboard installed on your RS232(which I don't). I use it everyday between a PC and two TI systems. If I have a nanoPEB stuck on my second system it is rigged for transfer as well. How did we ever get along without all this neat stuff? We "user" TI'ers need to thank our lucky stars that we have such talented programmers and hardware developers in our camp.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

updates:

1: you don't need to make everything v9t9 anymore, tifiles or v9t9 are both acceptable to HDX Server

2: the new version of CFHDXS supports execution of EA5 program files just like DM2k

3: there's yet another way to do this with a UBERGrom cartridge board and a tty voltage converter.. and a new version of CFHDXU for uber!

4: the DSK2PC program has been updated to work with the nanopeb serial connection, haven't tried this yet on a 4/a without hdx mod to see if that works too, allows you to pull disk images to/from disks on the TI from your PC

Greg

• Like 1

updates:

4: the DSK2PC program has been updated to work with the nanopeb serial connection, haven't tried this yet on a 4/a without hdx mod to see if that works too, allows you to pull disk images to/from disks on the TI from your PC

Greg

I've been using CFHDXS1 for a while with my TI-Starter Kit (basic serial cable on RS232/1) without the HDX modification, and works quite well.

So, I'm glad to see that there's improvement on it! Cool!

However, I can confirm that #4, DSK2PC v2.1, does not work with standard RS232/1 and a HDX server. "No HDX device found". As expected, it does work with a real HDX modified card.

Just a FYI...

Thanks for all the neat progress on this everyone!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/10/2018 at 9:43 AM, arcadeshopper said:

I have had good luck with these rs232 adapters.. they also have blinkinlights which adds to the experience Link: http://a.co/d/e5maXHI

Good price on that one!  I used to use << THIS >> Keyspan model, which costs almost as much as a Raspberry Pi, probably more if you figure in the required RS-232 cabling.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Can someone post a definitive null modem cable for connecting from a TI RS232 card to a DB9 serial port on a PC to host an HDX server? I'm seeing several versions and none of them seem to make sense.

I know the following is true:

TI --- PC

Rx 2 <-- 2 Tx 

Tx 3 --> 3 Rx

Gnd 7 --- 5 Gnd

But I read that pin 5 on the TI side (CTS) needs to be connected as well, but to which PC pin? Finally, are there any other pins that need or should be connected?

Thanks!