IGNORED

Activision Label Question

hizzy

Hi!

The Activison labels thread got me thinking: Does anyone have any Activision carts with nice, original labels, or do they all get that "spotting"? Looking on line, some titles seem more prone to spotting then others. I have yet to see a nice copy of Pitfall, but some other titles look to be pretty clean. Does the glue always turn on Activision carts, or can you actually get a clean copy of pitfall?

Thanks!

h

It's going to be hard to find Activision carts with labels that are mint. These carts are 30 to 35 years old and there is no way during that time frame the glue will hold out and prevent spotting. These carts are exposed to light and moisture. That even occurs to ones stored in boxes. It's a 0% chance there is any cart labels without spotting.

I only have one cart without spotting and that is Fishing Derby. I've owned this particular copy for 2 years now so maybe the label is a repo. Is there anyway I can be sure it's the real thing or not?

I'm not an expert, but that looks legit. The repro labels never rounded corners.

I got a loose Dragster cart at an estate sale last summer with zero Acti-Plaque on it. I got several carts there, and they were all in nice shape. Activision Tennis was just starting to get some on it but Dragster had none. Only one I've personally ever seen without any.

My clean Activision carts are for most text labels, but I also have spotted text labels.

My cleanest picture label is beamrider.

You can check them here : https://cambouisdelatari.wordpress.com/collection/

Hmm, this is the same for me. Beamrider seems to be my nicest label as well. Could be due to the full art printed on it though?

I only have one cart without spotting and that is Fishing Derby. I've owned this particular copy for 2 years now so maybe the label is a repo. Is there anyway I can be sure it's the real thing or not?

Looks like a repro label to me.

I'm not an expert, but that looks legit. The repro labels never rounded corners.

I make all my labels with rounded corners, just seems the right way to do it.

Edited by cjameslv

Just yesterday on the AtariAge Facebook page there was an unboxing of 5 or 6 of those big photo album-style cart holders by Atari that held 8 carts each. The photo of all the carts only showed end labels, but ALL of the Activision games looked fantastic - good as new. It was the main observation in the comments.

Just yesterday on the AtariAge Facebook page there was an unboxing of 5 or 6 of those big photo album-style cart holders by Atari that held 8 carts each. The photo of all the carts only showed end labels, but ALL of the Activision games looked fantastic - good as new. It was the main observation in the comments.

I noticed this, too. I am skeptical about this actiplaque.

I'd personnally prefer to keep a plagued sticker than put a repro on my cart. It's part of the life of the cart, I just want genuine parts. But it's just my humble opinion :)

You're not wrong. :) Personally I'd go the repro route for a few reasons:

1) I just like good-looking carts

2) Most Activision carts are common as hell anyway, so it wouldn't be a big deal to "sacrifice" a few

3) I have no intention of ever selling my collection so I am unconcerned about any negative impact on value

4) Authenticity in retro gaming is often compromised anyway; we often use flat-screen TVs instead of CRTs, F-Coax adapters instead of switchboxes, SD carts instead of original cartridges, modded consoles and controllers, homebrew games and controllers, etc. Why not improve the labels as well? :) (I still prefer a CRT, a stack of cartridges, and original hardware, but I'm willing to bend on labels. :-D)

But I don't know how to account for super clean carts. They can't all be reproductions.

Perhaps a different adhesive was used at some point?

You're not wrong. :) Personally I'd go the repro route for a few reasons:

1) I just like good-looking carts

2) Most Activision carts are common as hell anyway, so it wouldn't be a big deal to "sacrifice" a few

3) I have no intention of ever selling my collection so I am unconcerned about any negative impact on value

4) Authenticity in retro gaming is often compromised anyway; we often use flat-screen TVs instead of CRTs, F-Coax adapters instead of switchboxes, SD carts instead of original cartridges, modded consoles and controllers, homebrew games and controllers, etc. Why not improve the labels as well? :) (I still prefer a CRT, a stack of cartridges, and original hardware, but I'm willing to bend on labels. :-D)

They must have changed something... I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that actiplaque effected carts from PAL land.

Now that's a possibility for sure, different area different adhesives available? I was looking at my pitfall 2, it doesnt seem to have much actiplaque either. Almost wondering if the labels for the full art carts used different paper?

Those book-style cases seal up around the edge, so its presumably some combination of lack of humidity and/or sunlight that kept those so beautifully preserved.

http://www.pcmuseum.ca/misc/CartHolder.jpg

For sure, but it is mysterious that sealed carts have actiplaque, apparently. I've seen some sealed activision carts in my town, but I'm afraid to buy 'em and find an ugly cart.

Now that's a possibility for sure, different area different adhesives available? I was looking at my pitfall 2, it doesnt seem to have much actiplaque either. Almost wondering if the labels for the full art carts used different paper?

My Pitfall II is just about pristine as well, something I cannot say about any of my other Activision carts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk