IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - the newestl edition available very soon

Simius

My Rev E came in the mail today and I also get nothing but a black screen. With my 130XE and Ultimate 1 Mb and also 130XE with 256k upgrade. No lights nothing on screen.

OKay now working with the 130XE 256k upgrade I just plugged and pulled several times and twisted the battery and now works.

Putting SDX449 into it.

Edited by rdea6

I have to modify the working part of my previous post. The bios setting are not sticky date and time refuses to set manually or via software. Each power cycle or cold reset different setting for boot/config change. USD on/off is never the same and other setting randomly change.

This was on the +256K XE (not the U1MB)? And the U1MB still black-screens?

-Larry

Yes the U1M 130XE is still black screen and the 256k XE has problems holding the bios setting..

But a bone stock 130XE never upgraded with anything is doing what It is suppose to do bios is a rock. all settings stick.

Big bummer I was hoping to run the REV E board on a memory upgrade..

1 - CF activity LED (blue)

2 - SWAP switch

3 - SWAP LED (orange)

4 - SDX on/off switch

5 - SDX on/off LED (green)

6 - Write protect switch

7 - Write protect LED (red)

8 - Power supply connector

#8 the Power supply connector has no + or - signs to tell which pin get the power from the Joy stick connector..

This is irrelevant to the rev. E discussion, I just wanted to let you know that I have discovered a bug in the IDE+BIOS 1.5, which causes the APT FDISK to refuse to work.

The bug was very small - just one byte containing a bad value - so I have binary-patched the BIOS *.ROM image and packed it anew into the BIOS15.COM file. It is not a fresh compile, so the version number remains internally the same; but to build the executable I used an updated flasher, therefore the new file is a bit shorter than the old one.

Downloads here: http://drac030.krap.pl/en-kmkjz-pliki.php

• Like 4

Could there be a short under this bolt or is there a nylon spacer/washer under this preventing that?

There should be a washer, but these screws are not present in production devices. CF sockets was different type and hole spacing don't fit.

This is irrelevant to the rev. E discussion, I just wanted to let you know that I have discovered a bug in the IDE+BIOS 1.5, which causes the APT FDISK to refuse to work.

The bug was very small - just one byte containing a bad value - so I have binary-patched the BIOS *.ROM image and packed it anew into the BIOS15.COM file. It is not a fresh compile, so the version number remains internally the same; but to build the executable I used an updated flasher, therefore the new file is a bit shorter than the old one.

Downloads here: http://drac030.krap.pl/en-kmkjz-pliki.php

Is this also for the older IDE+ Bios 1.5?

There is another issue that I found with the Rev E board. Some cartridges cannot be fully inserted into the external cartridge jack. In fact some cannot be inserted at all since they run into the top of the "tall" led on the left side next to the power connector. This is true for all Atari "brown" carts that I tried. Some carts fit fine, but many fail, so if you are using the E with an XE computer, you may have problems with this. There seems to be two issues: one -- the tall led's presumably used so that they would protrude (and be visible) if E is cased. Two -- the spacing has been minimized in the project. IMO, one cm longer on the pcb, and the led issue disappears and a regular IDC 50-pin connector could have been used. Of course, that's just my opinion on the 50-pin connector, but the cartridge interference is very real.

Edit (08-17): I was surprised that by removing the offending LED, the problem is not completely resolved. Although many more carts can be connected, all Atari brand carts then have interference with the Micro MaTch ribbon connector. But if one intends to use "E" with an XL computer, then the external cartridge jack is very unlikely to be an issue.

-Larry

My Rev E came in the mail today and I also get nothing but a black screen. With my 130XE and Ultimate 1 Mb and also 130XE with 256k upgrade. No lights nothing on screen.

OKay now working with the 130XE 256k upgrade I just plugged and pulled several times and twisted the battery and now works.

Putting SDX449 into it.

You had me scrambling for the SDX site then for a moment rdea6 I think you mean SDX448!!! :) :) :)

With a different computer (600XL with Antonia in it), "E" will not reliably hold the settings. Keeps turning on the external cart, and turning off the Ultraspeed. This happens every time I turn off the IDE and then turn it back on. I don't remember the other versions doing this, so I checked "D" and it's settings are completely stable. I think this is similar to the issue mentioned by rdea6.

-Larry