IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - the newestl edition available very soon

Simius

One thing. I received info that the genuine Atari cartridges not fit to the Rev.E because of the LED and the ribbon cable connector. The solution could be an additional adapter, but I haven't it. At least for now.

I'll understand, if somebody would like to give up because of this.

Edited by Simius

I just ordered also -- $5 for economy shipping (1st class) in the US. Not too bad.

BTW, it does look from the pics that if you sacrifice one of the $.54 pcb connectors by removing or cutting the pins, then you can put the ribbon connector into it and clamp away on your cable. That's my plan, at least. Now to wait for it all to get here...

-Larry

Important information, As already known, when IDE+ is connected to the 600/800XL computers, correct work of SDX need turn-off BASIC holding the OPTION key during power-on, because of lack of the RD5 signal on the PBI (although some interfaces connected to some computers are working without OPTION - this occurs when FLASH in the IDE+ can force their data versus BASIC ROM and is not desirable beacause of excessive power consumption). For this reason RD5 signal output of the Rev.E is connected to the unused pin39 of the PBI and can be connected to the RD5 input of the MMU inside the computer. Unfortunately, this is a totem-pole output, so can't be connected directly, but through a diode (cathode to the MMU). Otherwise RD5 output can be shorted to the +5V and damaged by the cart inserted to the slot in the computer.

Important information, As already known, when IDE+ is connected to the 600/800XL computers, correct work of SDX need turn-off BASIC holding the OPTION key during power-on, because of lack of the RD5 signal on the PBI (although some interfaces connected to some computers are working without OPTION - this occurs when FLASH in the IDE+ can force their data versus BASIC ROM and is not desirable beacause of excessive power consumption). For this reason RD5 signal output of the Rev.E is connected to the unused pin39 of the PBI and can be connected to the RD5 input of the MMU inside the computer. Unfortunately, this is a totem-pole output, so can't be connected directly, but through a diode (cathode to the MMU). Otherwise RD5 output can be shorted to the +5V and damaged by the cart inserted to the slot in the computer.

Say what? Are you saying that we need to add a diode (somewhere), or that on an XL that we can't use

SDX and a cartridge at the same time, or something else. And if someone else understands this issue, please chime in.

Say what? Are you saying that we need to add a diode (somewhere), or that on an XL that we can't use

SDX and a cartridge at the same time, or something else. And if someone else understands this issue, please chime in.

Say cause if you use your IDE+ device on a 600 or 800 XL computer, you must keep down the "OPTION" key, during the power up of your computer. This because of lack of "RD5" signal, on PBI connector of these two computers.

Now, especially the rev.E PCB of IDE+ interface, have designed with "RD5" signal available on the pin 39 of its connector. But to work on your XL line computer, you must add a diode (for example 1N4148) on your computer.

This diode must be connected between pin 39 of PBI connector, and pin 8 of MMU PAL ic, with its cathode (marked zone of diode) connected to MMU pin 8.

If someone make this modification, then "OPTION" key during power up isn't needed anymore.

This is working only for rev.E pcb's of IDE+ interface.

Edited by santosp
  • Like 1

Sorry, if my english isn't clear enough. It's not my first language nor even the second. :)

With or without Antonia, it doesn't matter. Moreover, I found the solution and it will possible to doing it without a diode (ie. direct), after reprogramming of CPLD.

Edited by Simius

• 2 weeks later...

Received my package today and this is my observation:

1. Can not use Atari Brown Cased carts (as stated before).

2. Power cable from IDE+ 2.0 Board to Joystick Port NOT Included. If a user only has a 800XL without the +5V PBI mod, then this is unusable out of the box.

3. Obscure JTAG connector used. Users have to make their own "Special Cable" to update this.

4. Case included isn't pre-drilled for Switches, LED's, Power Plug and Cartridge Port. This really sucks if you're not that great at drilling or using a Dremel Tool.

5. Battery not socketed.

So expect to spend more $$$ and time to get this thing fully usable :ponder:

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 1

2. Power cable from IDE+ 2.0 Board to Joystick Port NOT Included. If a user only has a 800XL without the +5V PBI mod, then this is unusable out of the box.

3. Obscure JTAG connector used. Users have to make their own "Special Cable" to update this.

4. Case included isn't pre-drilled for Switches, LED's, Power Plug and Cartridge Port. This really sucks if you're not that great at drilling or using a Dremel Tool.

5. Battery not socketed.

Obviously the cable restricts the cart port, but it'd have been nice to have a removable cable so we could use custom length cables.

Fortunately you don't have to spend a whole bunch of cash to get it working (USB Blaster + various connector parts is under $10 USD) but it's definitely not for the faint of heart and will not work out of the box on a number of configurations. Personally I consider these things part of the hobby but I agree people need to know what they're getting into.

Edited by tuf

5. Battery not socketed.

1. Yes, you're right. I wrote about this in post #202. Sorry, I didn't know it before.

2. Power cable is not included because I don't know, how do you like to connect the power. Included is connector only (two terminals and housing). As with previous versions.

3. JTAG connector, programmer and software isn't included and remains the responsibility of the user.

4. Yes, the case is undrilled, because I'm not able to do it aesthetically. I wrote (#109), that the case is for Do_It_Yourself. :)

5. Yes, battery is not socketed. As in all previous versions.

5. Battery not socketed.

I am a huge fan of IDE+ rev. D ... it is not the ultimate harddisk interface, but it comes close. I was really thrilled when I saw Rev. E. announced. But after the announcement everything went silent, and suddenly it was there... ready to order.

IMHO The problem with this kind of projects is that the test team is not a representation of the 'average' atari user. That cartridge problem you state -> obviously not beta tested -> WHY!? And that other things you mention -> hmmm when I was in the beta-test team I would have made comments about it in the development stage.

But well... things are the way they are. At this moment I'm not missing anything. IDE+ rev. D seems to be the best choice at this moment.

• Like 1

3. JTAG connector, programmer and software isn't included and remains the responsibility of the user.

3: I think it is a good idea to make this more user friendly. Especially since the chance that there is an CPLD update needed, is very high. I think it is not right to state that this is the responsibility of the user...

5: I guess one makes newer revisions, to make shortcomings of earlier versions better. A decent solution with a battery in socket is one of those things that should have been done in my opinion.

• Like 2

Fortunately you don't have to spend a whole bunch of cash to get it working (USB Blaster + various connector parts is under $10 USD) but it's definitely not for the faint of heart and will not work out of the box on a number of configurations. Personally I consider these things part of the hobby but I agree people need to know what they're getting into.

For a user friendly version, the standard connector that's used in U1MB, SIDE and Incognito would have been nicer to have as I already have those plugs and cables to use that have 2.0mm and 2.5mm pitch connectors. If someone that already has a spare funky connector to make a cable, I'd probably be willing to pay for that. I already have the USB Blaster...

1. Yes, you're right. I wrote about this in post #202. Sorry, I didn't know it before.

2. Power cable is not included because I don't know, how do you like to connect the power. Included is connector only (two terminals and housing). As with previous versions.

4. Yes, the case is undrilled, because I'm not able to do it aesthetically. I wrote (#109), that the case is for Do_It_Yourself. :)

1. I have a parts 800XL where I'll use the cartridge housing and maybe put this in a bit larger case to accommodate the brown carts.

2. I found the included connector a few days later after opening the package as it fell on the floor and hid behind some stuff. My fault there...

3. Using the standard 2.5mm Pitch 10 pin connector would have been nicer, I would gladly have paid a few more bucks for a bigger PCB to accommodate that.

4. Has anyone made a drilling template yet for the case? That could be useful too :)

5. Maybe in an "F" revision and newer, could you add a battery socket? Not sure how many times the board will take heating up to replace the battery...

Relationship in the Rev.E with button/led is the same as in Rev.D with the slide switch. You can disable the SDX immediately by the button (or slide switch), but do not enable. This require hardware first then software action.

Edited by Simius