IGNORED

Installing Disk Based Programs to the UltraSatan Drive possible?

So I was trying to install Word UP! on my 1040STe last night, and it would start installing just fine to the UltraSatan drive (I tried both C the system folder, and F an empty partition), but on the second disk would crash and go to the screen below, frozen and in need of a reset.

So I am wondering, is it even possible to install discs right from the floppy to the ultrasatan? Or is it a more complex process.

I actually tried to install the program without the Ultrasatan turned on, creating a program disk and a data disk, but then couldn't fire up the program because I hadn't started gdos (which is on the other disc! Could they make it any more complicated to start a freaking word processor?) but that is a story for another day. I think I just need to read the manual and figure out how to load it step by step.

As to the above, If not this might be just another reason to get the internal HD installed.

post-38373-0-31541500-1453994749_thumb.jpg

Old SW, if it is at all intended to work from hard drive have some obscure solutions related, and may work not well on newer configs. Installation is best to do with supplied install SW, if there is such. If no, then it is matter of luck.

Usually, it is best to install on C, first level folder - then you have most chances that it will work.

There's no real installation needed with WordUp. If it comes with an 'installer', all it'll do is copy the files where you tell it.

GDOS comes with an 'installer', which just copies a bunch of files to a couple of directories, and writes the correct drive letter to the first line of ASSIGN.SYS.

For GDOS 'installed' on drive C you need to have the following:

• C:\AUTO\GDOS.PRG
  • C:\ASSIGN.SYS
  • C:\GDOS.SYS\(a bunch of .FNT files)

For WordUp you need to have the following files together somewhere e.g. in C:\WORDUP:

• WORDUP.PRG
  • WORDUP.RSC
  • WORDUP.GLO

The WordUp 'program' disk also has a bunch of example files on the disk- images, templates, etc.

If you unzip the attached and drop the files and folders in the root of your drive C, and then boot from C, then it should work. I created it by copying the WordUp program from here and the GDOS installation disk from here (although I think WordUp comes with GDOS).

WordUpGDOSBoot.zip

Edited by galax
  • Like 1

Also, to start WordUp without using UltraSatan, boot the ST with your GDOS boot disk in drive A, insert the WordUp program disk, double click on drive A, and double click on WORDUP.PRG

So, when I installed Word Up without the Ultrasatan, it had me create System Disc and a Program Disc. So when I boot with the system disc, it should auto load GDOS (Gem Dos?), and then remove that disc, put in my "Program Disc" and load the Wordup program (wordup.prg)?

Thanks!

That sounds right, also you can open up the files on each disk to see what is on them: it should be the GDOS files and folders on the system disk and the WordUp program on the other. While booting you should see something like "GDOS 1.1 Installed" flash on the screen. If you get an error message then something is usually wrong with your ASSIGN.SYS.

I think the 'G' stands for 'Graphics', and DOS for 'Device Operating System' (not the usual 'disk') it's an extension to GEM that allows fonts and vector/bitmap graphics to be rendered on any resolution of screen or printer.

Edited by galax
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same problem now but from another angle.

I have Papyrus on my SD card on the Ultrasatan, but when I open the file there are three virtual disks and an installer program. Is there anyway to run Papyrus right off the SD and not attempt some convoluted install process with discs that don't exist?

Having the same problem now but from another angle.

I have Papyrus on my SD card on the Ultrasatan, but when I open the file there are three virtual disks and an installer program. Is there anyway to run Papyrus right off the SD and not attempt some convoluted install process with discs that don't exist?

Those aren't 'virtual disks', they're just 3 folders called dsk1, dsk2, dsk3 - someone probably just copied the contents of the three installation disks into this folder.

I tried with Papyrus 3.51. It seems this installer just copies files to the right location(s) as well, and sets up a few paths. It expects to be installed from 3 floppy disks, and checks something about the disks- I made my own floppy images and couldn't get it to work. I did get it to work by just copying all the files over to the hard disk though, just unzip the attached directory and move it to C:\PAPYRUS - it would probably work fine somewhere else too, although if you move the FONTS directory you'll have to update the font paths.

PAPYRUS.zip

Edited by galax
  • Like 2

I think the 'G' stands for 'Graphics', and DOS for 'Device Operating System' (not the usual 'disk') it's an extension to GEM that allows fonts and vector/bitmap graphics to be rendered on any resolution of screen or printer.

Yep. Yet another thing Atari Corp promised ST owners and failed to deliver [like Blitter upgrades for the 520STm & 1040STf]…GDOS in ROM as part of GEM/TOS.

• Like 1

Yep. Yet another thing Atari Corp promised ST owners and failed to deliver [like Blitter upgrades for the 520STm & 1040STf]…

Even when Atari let us down we kept coming back for more :)

GDOS in ROM as part of GEM/TOS.

Mike Fulton has some information about why this never happened: http://www.fultonsoft.com/revisiting-gem-for-the-atari-st-part-6/

• 1 month later...

Those aren't 'virtual disks', they're just 3 folders called dsk1, dsk2, dsk3 - someone probably just copied the contents of the three installation disks into this folder.

I tried with Papyrus 3.51. It seems this installer just copies files to the right location(s) as well, and sets up a few paths. It expects to be installed from 3 floppy disks, and checks something about the disks- I made my own floppy images and couldn't get it to work. I did get it to work by just copying all the files over to the hard disk though, just unzip the attached directory and move it to C:\PAPYRUS - it would probably work fine somewhere else too, although if you move the FONTS directory you'll have to update the font paths.

attachicon.gifPAPYRUS.zip

Thanks again for this, going to give it a try tonight and hopefully get it running.

If I can get my CD drive up and running I may actually invest in Papyrus X!!

I have been writing a lot on Marcel and really enjoy word processing on the ST.

• Like 1

Works great! Thank you so much :)

Happy to help, glad you got it working, the other 16 anonymous downloaders are welcome too ;)

Is Papyrus actually still for sale? Is it download only or physical floppies/CD? I tried emailing I think it was 16/32 last year twice and never received a reply back. Was asking if I could still buy it. TJ

16/32 is "closing down over the next few months" (posted 6 weeks ago), so try contacting Nick again soon if you are looking to buy a copy: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=29297&p=288836

Thanks. I will try that. TJ

Happy to help, glad you got it working, the other 16 anonymous downloaders are welcome too ;)

16/32 is "closing down over the next few months" (posted 6 weeks ago), so try contacting Nick again soon if you are looking to buy a copy: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=29297&p=288836

attachicon.gifPAPYRUS.zip

Hey a thanks from me mate. I'm never anonymous hehe

Cheers :D

• Like 1