IGNORED

Atari Flashback 2 - Original 1st Prototype

Curt Vendel

I've decided to part with THE prototype of the Flashback 2 Atari 2600 console...

Some background -

In June 2004 Atari gave my company the go ahead to produce a game console for them. In a (no phun intended) flashback to Howard Scott Warshaw - we were given only 10 weeks to produce the impossible. The 1st product was the Atari Flashback, an NES on a chip console. It was ok but not what we wanted to produce. Meanwhile the original idea was a console based around the TIA schematics that Atari Museum had for many years - to make a REAL Atari 2600 console... so work on the side began that summer...

After the successful sales of the first Flashback, on Dec 15, 2004 Atari asked for a meeting to discuss a follow up, but something better. I came in, explained that something is almost ready. I requested a follow up meet around the end of Jan to bring in a product that was already in the works for several months. Feb 7th I held a meeting at Atari in NYC to unveil the Flashback 2 - a 2600 on a chip console that would play most Atari 2600 games and would have solder points to "hack" the unit so people could add a cartridge port to play real Atari 2600 cartridges...

It was an immediate hit, everyone at Atari loved the idea, loved the hacking idea and that real games could be played on it. Approval was immediate and we moved forward to production and first releases in July 2005.

So here it is just shy of 11 years later, the Flashback 2 is now a classic game console itself...

The unit is fully working, has 8 built in games in it with a simple text menu and comes with the original cx-40 replica joystick... the cases for both the console and the joystick are resin cast, and both are marked with dates, proto #1 and have my signature on them.

I will include a Certificate of Authenticity with the unit and it will be sealed with the Atari Museum seal on it for further proof of originality.

Asking $2,500 - Will include UPS insured and tracked Shipping to buyer destination.

946122_10208786587324721_193999218271026

• Like 3

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...