IGNORED

Recommendations wanted for a simple Front End

Amstari

I'm looking for a recommendation for an easy-to-use and easy-to-set up front end for several emulators for Windows 7 that can be navigated with a Xbox 360 controller.

I've been looking at the various front-ends but most have more features than I need and will require some time to set up. The simple interface on Retroarch was fine but it didn't seem to work with all the games.

I don't need fancy graphics like box art, just something that lets the user selected what system they want to play then just lists all the games I have in the folder for that system. I already have the emulators I need.

Is there anything someone could recommend? Any advice would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is an older post already, but maybe this will help: http://www.mgalaxy.com/index.html

Still does snaps so not sure if you want that, but as a front-end it's quite user-friendly to setup and it doesn't have a billion options that do nothing but increase headaches. I haven't gotten too terribly involved in it yet, just started poking at it myself but I think I'm going to test this out as I'm looking for a front-end that uses less resources than Maximus Arcade for a low-powered build.

It isn't the most active front-end in terms of community and development, but I am of the opinion that when a product works, the need for constant updates is really not necessary.

Unfortunately no matter how you slice it, there is always some config work to be done with a front-end and I always assume that it's going to be a few hours of setup no matter what I choose.

• Like 2

I know this is an older post already, but maybe this will help: http://www.mgalaxy.com/index.html

Pretty nice looking minimalist front-end. I will have to take a peek at that one just to see how it configures. Of course nothing will make me give up GameEx but I'm always open to checking other things out. :)

Still does snaps so not sure if you want , but as a front-end it's quite user-friendly to setup and it doesn't have a billion options that do nothing but increase headaches. I haven't gotten too terribly involved in it yet, just started poking at it myself but I think I'm going to test this out as I'm looking for a front-end that uses less resources than Maximus Arcade for a low-powered build.

Thanks! I will check it out.

Thanks! I will check it out.

I can report that it is really the easiest FE setup I have experienced. Simply pick which emulators you want to use, set the folder for the roms and (if you care) the snaps, and really that's about it. There are a couple other settings you can tweak and adjust but nothing that would take very long. Very snappy front-end, even on the old Celeron machine I'm using with on-board video it clips through the lists smoothly. The only thing that is frustrating, and it really isn't the fault of the program, it won't let me change the bindings for the controller I have connected to browse the menu. However it's technically a bluetooth controller for a smartphone or tablet with no official windows support so it isn't too surprising it doesn't want to work.

Edited by TPA5

• 2 weeks later...

If you have an old PC laying around and would be interested in a dedicated Emulation Station with a fantastic GUI and incredible compatibility, I would recommend Lakka: http://www.lakka.tv/

It comes with emulator cores pre-installed, All you have to do is give it BIOSes and ROMs. I've got it running on a Raspberry Pi 2 and am very very happy with it. Also, It grabs wired 360 controllers and PS3 controllers right "out of the box", no configuration necessary.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Launchbox - simples...

I've tried all the usual F.E. for windows (and Mac), from Pegasus to Attract Mode, via Hyperspin and Launchbox, including MGalaxy and Maximus arcade - and for me Launchbox (in BigBox mode for a seamless controller driven experience) is unparalleled in it's ease of use, emulation setup and maintenance.

I use it every day - for all my emulators (Computer and Console) and for all my PC games (GOG, Epic Store, Steam, Microsoft Store etc), the ease of adding games, customising emulation setups (even at a per game level) is fab - it has a very good setup for RetroArch and Mame - but is also great with standalone emulators, I use versions of Atari800, Altirra, Stella, Steem, FS-UAE, PCSX2, Dolphin, Nostalgia etc etc

I cannot praise it enough, it is fantastic - yes it has a cost for the full version, but then paying for good stuff is never a hardship ?

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack
  • Like 1