IGNORED

Do you spend more money on vintage or modern games?

Shawn

Do you spend more money on vintage or modern games?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Do you spend more money on vintage or modern games?

• Vintage
    • Modern

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

If 'vintage' includes homebrews for classic conoles, then it's vintage for me. If it just means stuff made back when, then it would be 'modern' for me. I haven't bought classic-era games in quite a while.

Vintage,by far.

In the last year I've bought

Second Sega Saturn(Grey Japanese model)

YurkieVision

A 2nd Atari 7800 with AV mod

AtariMax 5200 cart

About 6 home brews in the last 5 months

I've bought like ....3 new modern XBox One games in the last year.

Many on Steam but only bought games at very cheap bargains.

Not really feeling modern gaming anymore.

Too many gimmicks, too much focus on online where single player is an after thought,

and games are too buggy to invest $60.00 per game.

With retro you know what youre getting. These games have been developed for years and years so you know they have allot of love and care put into them. And their single player is focused on fun.

Not selling you DLC and online memberships with day one patches. Yeesh,its sort of depressing what modern gaming has become.

Retro brought my love back to gaming again. No hassle or hoops to jump through. Just fun.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

The last 'modern' machine I bought was a NOS Wii two years ago. Before that, it was a Playstation 2...in 05 :)

The only money I spend on video games is on old school stuff. Now that I have all (well, almost) the systems I want, there's not much left to really collect except for actual carts, which I don't often do. A few NES ones I'd like to snag at some point....a few VCS, but that's it. Multicarts have made that easy for me; play what I want, but buy what I absolutely want to own.

• Like 2

vintage for me, i haven't switched my PS4 on since i got my 2600 for christmas and since then been buying carts every week, picked up a 7800 last weekend and also just had my dispatched email for the harmony. Just really enjoying retro over current at the moment

Edited by w3dal
  • Like 2

If you mean just for me then it's not even close, especially if you consider new homebrews as vintage. However, if you include stuff I buy for my son well then it would be closer but still vintage for the win.

I'm in the same boat. The stuff I buy for my son is what tips it to modern for me.

Defiantly vintage for me, but I do like modern too. Its kinda complicated since I don't technically own a next gen console but I do still buy sometimes for consoles like the 360 and Wii, which certainly aren't vintage, but also aren't the newest. However I do own a 3DS and love its library.

• Like 1

Hardly ever spend money on video games anymore. In fact, I've been selling off bits of my collection over the last few years. If I happen to be at a garage sale or flea market and find an Atari cart I don't have I'll pick it up if it's cheap, but I don't go out of my way.

If I do buy something, it's for an 8-bit. The Wii is the most recent console I own, but it's been several years since I've played a game on it. Actually, that's not quite true - I got both the Inty and Colecovision flashbacks and enjoyed them both.

• Like 2

I assume that newly written games for vintage systems falls into the Vintage category. The only money I've spent on actual games in the past several years has been a purchase of Space Rocks for the 2600. May spend more if certain titles modified to use a trackball are released on cartridge.

I'd like to have a multi-cart for the Channel F, but the price is higher than I can convince myself to spend. (Not that it's over priced, just that it doesn't hold that much value for me right now)

The most modern system I've even played is a Wii. I have one because I got it in a trade that also got me an Odyssey2 and got rid of a Virtual Boy. I really wanted to like the VB, but it just didn't happen. I have a Genesis and SMS, but they haven't seen the light of day in years. Probably should dump those one of these days.

• Like 1

Modern. I've got plenty of retro and classic systems and games, and those purchases still total less than what it costs to buy new. Every "modern" contemporary system I have owned, from Pong to the PlayStation to the PC, has cost me more than buying old games. The amount I've spent on "modern" gaming from 1981 to the present is unquestionably more than any other form of entertainment.

The number of current gen/modern items I've purchased in the last 10 or so years could be counted on one hand. So...vintage. :)

I need to back off a bit from adding to my collection and focus more on the infrastructural/maintenance end of it. My existing shelves can't hold all of my games (not even close, really) and my manuals are still in shoeboxes. :| Time for a custom solution there, I think. Plus, I have quite a few systems in need of retrobriting, and a couple others in need of repair/modification. Time to invest some time and cash to those endeavors.

• Like 1