IGNORED

Do you spend more money on vintage or modern games?

Shawn

Do you spend more money on vintage or modern games?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Do you spend more money on vintage or modern games?

• Vintage
    • Modern

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Define "vintage". If you count homebrews for classic systems, then it's actually about even for me. I bought a lot of homebrews last year, but then I also bought the full band kit for Rock Band 4 -- not to mention a new XBone to play it on -- and after getting an iPod Touch for Christmas I've been splurging on season bundles for The Pinball Arcade.

• Like 2

I buy and play a lot of modern gaming. There are some months when it will beat out my vintage purchases, but probably over the course of 12 months, stuff I buy for vintage systems will total more. Homebrews and add-ons count as "vintage" or "retro" in this for me, so that is how I voted.

So going back to December, I've purchased some relatively high dollar items for vintage systems that are new creations

SD2IEC for C64

U1541 II for C64

Fastload Reloaded for C64

AtariVox for 2600

Fall Down 2600 H'brew

For modern systems, I purchased Alien Isolation on sale for XOne and some Steam items.

Of course, all of these things could be considered modern in which case the modern would far outweigh the vintage.

• Like 1

There is so much unexplored vintage and classic material - I'm set for a lifetime!

But make no mistake, I do enjoy a modern PC-based simulation from time to time. And I do semi-regularly pay for updates to X-Plane from time to time. Maybe every 2 years? $60? Not bad, not bad at all!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

There is so much unexplored vintage and classic material - I'm set for a lifetime!

But make no mistake, I do enjoy a modern PC-based simulation from time to time. And I do semi-regularly pay for updates to X-Plane from time to time. Maybe every 2 years? $60? Not bad, not bad at all!

Though I favor vintage gaming, I also love playing on the Xbox 360, 3DS, PC, and PS4.

Hmm. I've been gaming pretty much exclusively on my Nvidia Shield TV. I subscribed to Geforce Now, at 8 bucks a month. That keeps my son covered with Lego and Batman games. I use it to stream Witcher3 since my PS4 took a dump on me right before it came out. A lot of my phone games work on the shield, but those are pretty cheap. Real Racing 3 is free, for instance. So overall my meager game budget is going to that, which I consider modern. But my retro spending spiked last month when I got a Lynx and a good chunk of games that I couldn't find or afford as a wee gamer. The arcade conversions on there are something else!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really hard question for me to answer... I'm typically looking at $30-60 per modern title instead of $1-25ish on vintage. At the same time, I tend to buy more vintage becuase it's cheaper than the modern titles. So, it kind of balances out?

However- I'm willing to spend more on a single vintage game than modern. For example- I scoffed at the idea of spending $80-100 on Bayonetta 2, assuming if I waited it would be cheap again soon enough (a correct assumption, I might add!) At the same time, I've been hunting for a copy of Lunar Eternal Blue on Sega CD with the expectation that it will cost $100. So based on that, I picked vintage.

Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 2

Vintage,by far.

In the last year I've bought

Second Sega Saturn(Grey Japanese model)

YurkieVision

A 2nd Atari 7800 with AV mod

AtariMax 5200 cart

About 6 home brews in the last 5 months

I've bought like ....3 new modern XBox One games in the last year.

Many on Steam but only bought games at very cheap bargains.

Not really feeling modern gaming anymore.

Too many gimmicks, too much focus on online where single player is an after thought,

and games are too buggy to invest $60.00 per game.

With retro you know what youre getting. These games have been developed for years and years so you know they have allot of love and care put into them. And their single player is focused on fun.

Not selling you DLC and online memberships with day one patches. Yeesh,its sort of depressing what modern gaming has become.

Retro brought my love back to gaming again. No hassle or hoops to jump through. Just fun.

I just wanted to say that I fully agree with the last 3 paragraphs here. It's like you took the words right out of my mouth.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say that I fully agree with the last 3 paragraphs here. It's like you took the words right out of my mouth.

Thanks. But Its gotten even more annoying with modern gaming. Now there's talk of XBox and PlayStation releasing upgraded hardware for both in the next year. Its like I just don't understand this. New hardware isn't going to make the issues we hate with today's modern games go away. I have a bad feeling it both Sony and Microsoft release additional hardware it may either split the userbases between current and upgraded hardware users, plus who's to say that publishers will really sink extra development time and money to take advantage of the new hardware? It could be cross gen all over again where we receive minimal graphic upgrades with the new hardware since the majority of both current userbases are what publishers will always put more importance to anyways.

I'm just glad that the retro gaming community makes things so easy and simple to use. You can trust retro developers and publishers to make these games from the heart. I love that.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 2

Thanks. But Its gotten even more annoying with modern gaming. Now there's talk of XBox and PlayStation releasing upgraded hardware for both in the next year. Its like I just don't understand this. New hardware isn't going to make the issues we hate with today's modern games go away. I have a bad feeling it both Sony and Microsoft release additional hardware it may either split the userbases between current and upgraded hardware users, plus who's to say that publishers will really sink extra development time and money to take advantage of the new hardware? It could be cross gen all over again where we receive minimal graphic upgrades with the new hardware since the majority of both current userbases are what publishers will always put more importance to anyways.

I'm just glad that the retro gaming community makes things so easy and simple to use. You can trust retro developers and publishers to make these games from the heart. I love that.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Is there anything out there that needs a hardware upgrade at this point? Maybe Virtual Reality?

Myself I lost interest after PS3 and Wii. I just kind of stopped there.

And FWIW, I can recall the exact moment I gave up on modern video games. I bought Twisted Metal for PS3 the day it came out (Preordered I think) with the highest hopes of all. I ruled other Twisted Metal games and thought I could finally play something fun online. And They changed the controls! I could No Longer control the car with the D-PAD, like in Every Other Twisted Metal game since the dawn of time! They wanted me to use that stupid analog stick and that made the game unplayable...I can't believe nobody pointed that out to them in Beta testing. Or maybe I'm the only one who cared/noticed...

There are exceptions, but I'm getting to where I'm pretty much all retro or homebrews now...

• Like 1

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Is there anything out there that needs a hardware upgrade at this point? Maybe Virtual Reality?

Myself I lost interest after PS3 and Wii. I just kind of stopped there.

And FWIW, I can recall the exact moment I gave up on modern video games. I bought Twisted Metal for PS3 the day it came out (Preordered I think) with the highest hopes of all. I ruled other Twisted Metal games and thought I could finally play something fun online. And They changed the controls! I could No Longer control the car with the D-PAD, like in Every Other Twisted Metal game since the dawn of time! They wanted me to use that stupid analog stick and that made the game unplayable...I can't believe nobody pointed that out to them in Beta testing. Or maybe I'm the only one who cared/noticed...

There are exceptions, but I'm getting to where I'm pretty much all retro or homebrews now...

Leaving out all control setups is just laziness. They want to sell to the largest audiences but do the least amount of work it seems.

I go on Twitter and i see my friends comp;aining about The Division's servers being down or that they cant play because they keep falling under an invisible floor within the game. And as sure as i was telling myself I liked the atmosphere of the game...that I wouldn't not buy it because i knew day one purchases are like sticking your hand inside a hot stove: you know its hot and feels to a cold hand, but you know you're going to probably regret it and get burned anyways. I lost severe interest towards the end of the 360 and PS3 eras. I bought a XBox One for Forza but i still dont play the game as much as i should. Hoping Quantum Break is good but I'm not day one buying any games anymore. I think the greatest thing to come out of modern gaming is gold memberships,where you get lots of games for free 9well not free because you pay for Gold) but atleast by the time theyre "free' the games atleast aren't so buggy. Its stil lquite a mess though. Too much focus on online and graphic wars between Sony and Microsoft. What I like about retro gaming is the communities are peaceful and optimistic about upcoming games. Modern gamers (myself included) have become very jaded with all the stuff we've had to weed through just to enjoy a decent single playing game.

• Like 2

Vintage... but this shouldn't be a surprise to anybody on this site ;)

That said, I actively collect for anything PS3/Xbox 360 or older and it's kinda all over the place for consoles. For Big Box PC collecting it's really 2002 or older

That's my current focus as well. Certain titles are surprisingly hard to find like the original boxed version of Worms World Party (not the rerelease) or even the first Midtown Madness. I'm finding collecting big box PC games a lot of fun though, despite my small collection.

• Like 1

And sometimes man, it's all about the simple pleasures...

I generally like just kicking back with a one player game.

While I could understand people wanting to play Call of Duty or something similar, and that being fun in its own right, Most of us in these forums remember when multiplayer meant either your friend stopped by to play "two player", or you broke out the multi-tap for your SNES or Playstation or Turbografx (Bomberman with 4 people was always a Blast!...pun intended)...

The other day my friend dropped by and we were drinking some beer and I decided to show him that Star Castle now exists on 2600. And he said "Let's play Combat!" Now, I wasn't expecting much, but to my surprise it turned out to be awesome! I'd absolutely forgotten how much fun Tank Pong and Invisible Tanks with guided missiles could be...I probably haven't played that game since 7th grade or so, but it was great.

• Like 1