IGNORED

List of Pro Controller Games

Mendon

Do all the Jag Pro pads act as the same keys universally, or are they changeable by the software? (Is Z, Y, X, 4, and 6, ALWAYS 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6, respectively, or can it be changed by the software) If the software can change it, maybe I SHOULD get that second Jag Pro pad for a fight stick. But if they universally map, I'll just use a standard Jag Pad, and augment it with a 3.5 mm system where any button on my joystrick can equal any key.

By the way, in street fighter terms, (just in terms of corresponding button layout, there is no Street Fighter Anything for the Jaguar, but there is for the 3DO, and there is Primal Rage for both with a similar layout.) is L the 3K button and R the 3P punch button in a standard 4 column x 2 row layout, or vice versa? I know C is QK, B is MK, A is HK, Z is QP, Y is Mp, and X is HP. I recognize the 3 column x 2 row layout that made Street Fighter famous.

Also has anyone considered a Saturn controller to Jag console with an add on keypad that can be fit on a Saturn Controller, with the 12 keys and the Option Key separate. Becuase the Saturn has a 3x2 layout and 2 shoulder buttons like the Jaguar Pro, just no keypad and option button.

You realise I posted that fifteen years ago, right? :-D

I've mapped a Saturn controller to a Jag port before - it was actually a lightgun, but one of the ones with a d-pad and a couple of buttons on as well. Not too difficult if you follow the diode matrix on the keypad PCB. I may still have my old notes somewhere if you're interested.

I switched over to exclusively using ProControllers when I realised how much nicer the A/B/C buttons were. Should have been like that on all of them in my opinion!

Stone

Some of the information in this thread is inaccurate: ZYX on the Pro Controller map to 789, not 123.

I have previously thought about trying to make an adapter to convert a PlayStation Dual Shock (or DS2) controller for use with a Jaguar. With a modifier button, all the keypad buttons would be available.

Here is the configuration I envisioned:

L2(4) Select(Option) R2(6)
L1(7) Start(Pause)   R1(9)
     ∆(
[](C)    O(A)
     X(B)

L3(~) R3(0)

while holding L3(~):
L2(*) Select(0) R2(#)
     ∆(2)
[](1)    O(3)
     X(5)

I also thought about two alternate layouts for use with PS-compatible fightsticks, so the buttons map properly for a 6-button fighting game like Primal Rage or Double Dragon V. These would be accessed by holding [] or L1 as you plug the adapter in:

Fightstick layout α (hold [] when plugging in):
Select(Option) Start(Pause)
[](7)  ∆( R1(9) L1(4)
 X(C)  O(B) R2(A) L2(~)

While holding L2(~):
Select(0)
[](1)  ∆(2) R1(3) L1(6)
 X(*)  O(5) R2(#)

Fightstick layout β (hold L1 when plugging in):
L1(7) [](  ∆(9) R1(4)
L2(C)  X(B)  O(A) R2(~)

While holding R2(~):
Select(0)
L1(1) [](2)  ∆(3) R1(6)
L2(*)  X(5)  O(#)

Stone, if you have some schematics for a Saturn-to-Jag adapter, I'd love to see them. I'm hoping to find someone interested in making this adapter.

Edited by Spider-Dan

Some of the information in this thread is inaccurate: ZYX on the Pro Controller map to 789, not 123.

I have previously thought about trying to make an adapter to convert a PlayStation Dual Shock (or DS2) controller for use with a Jaguar. With a modifier button, all the keypad buttons would be available.

Here is the configuration I envisioned:

L2(4) Select(Option) R2(6)
L1(7) Start(Pause)   R1(9)
     ∆(
[](C)    O(A)
     X(B)

L3(~) R3(0)

while holding L3(~):
L2(*) Select(0) R2(#)
     ∆(2)
[](1)    O(3)
     X(5)

I also thought about two alternate layouts for use with PS-compatible fightsticks, so the buttons map properly for a 6-button fighting game like Primal Rage or Double Dragon V. These would be accessed by holding [] or L1 as you plug the adapter in:

Fightstick layout α (hold [] when plugging in):
[](7)  ∆( R1(9) L1(4)
 X(C)  O(B) R2(A) L2(~)

While holding L2(~):
Select(0)
[](1)  ∆(2) R1(3) L1(6)
 X(*)  O(5) R2(#)

Fightstick layout β (hold L1 when plugging in):
L1(7) [](  ∆(9) R1(4)
L2(C)  X(B)  O(A) R2(~)

While holding R2(~):
Select(0)
L1(1) [](2)  ∆(3) R1(6)
L2(*)  X(5)  O(#)

Stone, if you have some schematics for a Saturn-to-Jag adapter, I'd love to see them. I'm hoping to find someone interested in making this adapter.

Should I Assume Alpha arrangements are for Street fighter anniversary sticks and similarly mapped PS fight sticks, and the Beta arrangements are for ones are for Ascii fight sticks, and similarly mapped PS Fight Sticks? Should I also assume the (-) button should be labeled a "shift key" that holding the - key plus another key simultaneously gets?

I'm not familiar enough with Jaguar Games to know what games would requires that many buttons. And what games require quick access to any button other than the 4, 6, 7, 8, and 9? if my theory is correct, then the 4 and 6 are more important to have quick access to BOTH vs having ONE of them PLUS a shift key for 7 other keys. Unless there is something in some game with I would rather have a separate external keypad for those keypad buttons because you need A, B, C, X, Y, Z, L, and R with quick access, and the other buttons are not as necessary to access lightning quick.

But I do like the PS Dual Shock/Street Fighter 15/AsciiWare switch, even though if you use the fight stick a lot, I'd probably rather have a physical A-B-C slider switch than hold a hot key at plug in. I may forget and lose the instructions and complain, and not remember what button to activate for the Street Fighter 15.

I would prefer Playstation + 12 button external keypad over Saturn + 12 button keypad + extra auxiliary button, mainly because of the "double translation problem" Going the Playstaiton directly to Jaguar is less likely to cause errors on the Jaguar than PS1-> Saturn -> Jaguar. And also there are way many more Playstation-> X adapters than Saturn -> X adapters. Tototek sells many for systems OLDER than PS1 like SNES, Genesis/Master System, TG16, Neo Geo, Saturn, and 3DO (even though Tototek's lacks a multiplayer daisy chain port), and elsewhere you can find adapters for every NEWER system except the Nintendo Switch. I have ones for Xbox, Game Cube, Dreamcast, 360, PS3, Wii Classic, Wii U Classic, and Xbox One. ( I strangely enough don't have a PS4 for 2 reasons. One is no 4k movies on a PS4 Pros, and the other is all of my offline friends are Xbox since the 360, and only the "Star" of our group, Zophar321, had a PS3 too, and he mainly used it for PS3 exclusives and as his main Blu Ray player, kind of like me.)

Even though the Saturn might be a better form factor for correctly adapting the pro controller to your fingers/thumbs with the 3 columns x 2 rows + 2 shoulders, and may be welcome if you own Saturn pads (which I do and if it's cheaper than the Starwinder Jag Pro Re-Pros, would rather go with this and save the Jag Pro Re Pros for true Jaguar fans instead of dabblers like myself,) but if I'm trying to make my right-handed joystick work of all my systems, PS is better. But I do see the virtue of a Saturn-> Jaguar Pro adapter.

Edited by tripletopper

Should I Assume Alpha arrangements are for Street fighter anniversary sticks and similarly mapped PS fight sticks, and the Beta arrangements are for ones are for Ascii fight sticks, and similarly mapped PS Fight Sticks? Should I also assume the (-) button should be labeled a "shift key" that holding the - key plus another key simultaneously gets?

Correct.

I'm not familiar enough with Jaguar Games to know what games would requires that many buttons. And what games require quick access to any button other than the 4, 6, 7, 8, and 9? if my theory is correct, then the 4 and 6 are more important to have quick access to BOTH vs having ONE of them PLUS a shift key for 7 other keys.

The fightstick layouts are almost exclusively for Primal Rage and Double Dragon V, neither of which need access to 4 or 6; 789CBA takes care of those games. But I still include 4/6 on the layout because I figure it's more valuable (and future-proof) to have access to every button just in case, and relying on an external keypad introduces more complexity and cost. If you want immediate access to 4/6 on a fightstick, and you're NOT playing PR/DDV, just use the default layout instead of the fightstick alternate. You will have immediate access to all 8 ProController face & shoulder buttons, and (because you're not playing a 6-button fighting game) the layout isn't as critical.

But I do like the PS Dual Shock/Street Fighter 15/AsciiWare switch, even though if you use the fight stick a lot, I'd probably rather have a physical A-B-C slider switch than hold a hot key at plug in. I may forget and lose the instructions and complain, and not remember what button to activate for the Street Fighter 15.

While a physical switch would probably work just fine, I prefer a solid-state design where possible. The way I have designed this would be pretty easy to remember - simply hold the "light punch" button when you plug in the controller - but ultimately, I'd rather place my confidence in documentation being available somewhere on the internet than trying to fix a broken switch.

Correct.

The fightstick layouts are almost exclusively for Primal Rage and Double Dragon V, neither of which need access to 4 or 6; 789CBA takes care of those games. But I still include 4/6 on the layout because I figure it's more valuable (and future-proof) to have access to every button just in case, and relying on an external keypad introduces more complexity and cost. If you want immediate access to 4/6 on a fightstick, and you're NOT playing PR/DDV, just use the default layout instead of the fightstick alternate. You will have immediate access to all 8 ProController face & shoulder buttons, and (because you're not playing a 6-button fighting game) the layout isn't as critical.

While a physical switch would probably work just fine, I prefer a solid-state design where possible. The way I have designed this would be pretty easy to remember - simply hold the "light punch" button when you plug in the controller - but ultimately, I'd rather place my confidence in documentation being available somewhere on the internet than trying to fix a broken switch.

I'd probably use my fight stick for any game where the concept of a left and right shoulder button doesn't have to specifically be a shoulder button. (Atari Karts is the biggest example of a specific shoulder button requirement that would be awkward with a fight stick.) I'd use the fight stick for any 3 button game that doesmn't use heavy keypad.

I' was considering hooking up an external keypad to my joystick, which would be outside the buttons. for other consoles like the 5200, Colecovision and Intellivision. I guess 4 would be the "consumable klck" (3K) button and the 6 would be the "consumable punch" or 3P buttton, if we were using the saturn Street Fighter standard.

I guess depending on the price vs versatility of a Jag Pad padhack vs a PS1 adapter I'll get either one . A pad hack would be more versatile, and less confusing for keypad heavy games, abnd it would aklso let me "pick my other 5 main buttons if I don't like the Jag Pro default, but a PS2-> Jag adpater would be better if it were significantly cheaper than having someone mannually padhack a Jag 3 button.. About what percentage of jaguar games are considered "pad heavy" which you must quickly use more than just 46789? I think AVP would be considered a VERY Pad heavy game. All the keys look occupied. Any others?

So Do I hold the 'light punch" button when I power on the Jaguar with the stick already plugged in, or when I plug it in after I turn on the jag? I assume holding while resetting wouldn't work becuase it doesn't choke of power to the PS1-> Jaguar adapter.

Also, if you can get these semi-mass produced, ToTotek might be interested in selling your PS1-> Jaguar adapter. Also, you don't have to use an external extra keyboard, Just use a second Joystick in plug and let it be a passthrough, so you can activate the keypad ona real jag Pad mounted next to the fight stick. Maybe use the "Heavy Punch" button as the alpha and beta as the no-shift external Jag keypad mode.

I was going to say, the following games unboxed can/should be available for $10-$40 on the AA marketplace, eBay, Craigslist, Gumtree, or similar (seriously, ignore the high prices that speculators keep trying it on for): Iron Soldier,Tempest 2000, Zool 2, Val dIsere, Raiden, Flip Out, Pinball Fantasies, Pitfall, Zoop....and if youre lucky Wolf 3D, Doom, Attack of the amutant Penguins, Super Burnout, Flashback and more...

...youll have a lot more fun with the above games than pontificating about joypads ;)

• Like 1

I' was considering hooking up an external keypad to my joystick, which would be outside the buttons. for other consoles like the 5200, Colecovision and Intellivision. I guess 4 would be the "consumable klck" (3K) button and the 6 would be the "consumable punch" or 3P buttton, if we were using the saturn Street Fighter standard.

There is no fighting game on Jaguar, 5200, Colecovision, or Intellivision that has a 3P or 3K function.

About what percentage of jaguar games are considered "pad heavy" which you must quickly use more than just 46789? I think AVP would be considered a VERY Pad heavy game. All the keys look occupied. Any others?

Excluding the Pro Controller buttons of 46789, about zero percent. Just because all the keys are mapped does not make the game "keypad heavy"; AVP has a lot of functions on the keypad, but they are relatively rarely used.

Game devs understand how games work. They are aware that the keypad buttons are clumsy and insufficient to use as primary action buttons, which is the reason why the Pro Controller was created: to give the Jaguar more primary action buttons.

So Do I hold the 'light punch" button when I power on the Jaguar with the stick already plugged in, or when I plug it in after I turn on the jag?

You would hold a button as the converter powers on. That can be when powering on the system, or when plugging it in.

Edited by Spider-Dan

Well I didn't know how ketypad heavy the AVP game would be.

Probably the most "keypad heavy" concept I can think of is my idea for "Dancing fingers bomb", if it were actually made. A game I thought would make an interesting "Go to the Party Jag" party mini-game. Not good enough to be it's own cartridge, but could be part of a fun mini-game package.

By the way "Dancing Fingers Bomb" is kind of like a keypad finger Twister. You have to press 6 buttons at a time, then release one button and press a different button, while keeping the other 5 held. Let your finger off the wrong button or touch a wrong button. and BOOM.

As for keypad heaviness for existing games, the only keys in heavy use are 46789, hence why the Pro pad was made. Wouldn't that make it MORE vital to have quick access to 46789, as opposed to taking one out and putting in a shift button. If none of the other keys need quick and heavy access, then plugging in a Jag pad fore the keypad would be cool. I guess there are n ture 8 button games, except the full-keypad games. Most either use 46 or 789, usually not both, but both ARE there for the options..

I'm not referring to games that could exist, only ones that do.

Just because the Pro Controller has the keypad buttons 46789 remapped, that doesn't mean they are all frequently used by games that support the Pro Controller. But even if that were the case: holding a shift button is still significantly faster than reaching over to a daisy-chained Jag controller to push a keypad button. And again, if you use the default config, you would have immediate access to CBA46789 with no shift button. So I'm not sure what your objection is.

Edited by Spider-Dan

Spider-Dan > if you're thinking of building a PS1 controller-to-Jaguar adapter, you should discuss it with Stephen Moss. He has designed one many years ago.

I've designed one myself, too. It works fine but I never released it because it was too expensive (and honestly, because I was too lazy to do a proper release, too).

Oh shit - if "Dancing fingers bomb" did exist, would I buy one pro-controller or three. Why one or three? Damn - I dunno. I have two Jags, and two Jag CDs. That's 4 (AHHHHHHHH - I mean four). But I don't have any friends.

Wow - I do have 2 dogs. And they have 4 paws. These are even numbers though. One and three and odd. Controller pondering posts are odd. Hmm - Jag fumes. Yummy. Smell the 64-bit plastic.

Back to the dogs though. If I have 2 dogs, and 2 Jags, but no friends. How many pro-controllers would I buy? I may have one, or 2, or thr33. Should I sell one of the controllers? Could get me moneys for some other games. Wait though - maybe I could get more if I sell the dogs? Jaguar forum though - cats, not dogs. Damn - no moneys for me.

OK - I'll go ponder how many controllers I want. If I can find the time, I may make another 32 posts in 2 forums (because Jag ain't 64-bit, it's 2 32-bit in parallel) wondering about how many controllers I should buy, to play a game solo.

• Like 2