IGNORED

Winner of Game Of The Year 2015

vprette

next mystery is.. who is this Mystery Musician?... hmm. :ponder:

That's an awesome sound engine, thats for sure. I could only dream of writing catchy AY chip music like that which is in Piggy. can't wait for the Hive Deluxe, its going to be groovy time! :-)

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85
  • Like 2

GroovyBee, I guess you are a perfectionist (in the good meaning of the word) and this is the reason why you take time to complete your projects. But Piggy Bank shows that you can do great things even in a very short time.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

I'm not a perfectionist by any means. I just like to give people value for their money. Had there been more time and I wasn't as burnt out at the end of its development, Piggy Bank would have had maybe 40 levels or so. Mind you, coming up with 20 levels, with a height limit of 96 pixels, was quite challenging in the time frame. I'm hoping there will be some "guest levels" on the Hive version, but we'll see.

• Like 1

I wonder what other things there are to know about Piggy Bank?

I was recruited to construct a few levels. I went ahead and started the process, but was busy with my own late projects. In the end, I was not able to complete any of my levels (I had two in mind, including a "guest enemy" appearance in a snow level. :lol:), having barely started on them.

So the 20 levels are purely of GroovyBee design.

The other fun trivia bit that I know of, has to do with the diagonal jumping when blocked by an overhead platform. I HATED that. I kept telling GroovyBee how evil that was, when he first introduced it in (what was then) level 3. It was EVIL! The game was a lot of fun until I lost all my lives trying to break out of a stupid whole on my very first jump of the level. :mad:

I insisted and insisted on it getting removed. Cursing GroovyBee for being so evil, and cursing the game for turning from a fun little diddy to a soul-crushing frustrating bog.

The point was that he wanted to keep the original old-school style of pixel-perfect jump manœuvring, so he came up with some clever compromises: apart from eventually polishing the controller handling code to be more accurate, he also extended the "take-off" points of each platform by a few pixels in the lower difficulty levels. This gives you enough headroom to perform an easier diagonal jump out to avoid the overhead platforms.

I do not know to what extent GroovyBee would have done this anyway; but I'd like to think that my bitching and moaning about it lead to a more satisfying and smooth playing piggy. :)

-dZ.

• Like 6

And as far as "side blows" groovybee has kept himself really well compared to what someone else has said and done against him. I admire him for that. There is no other programmer i know that would put up with what was said and kept their cool the way he has. He has the right to defend himself and i dont feel he went too far.

As you may know I noticed the side blows of the "other side" and took the consequences in skipping on Hover Bovver for a side blow. I totally agree, that there were plenty lowbrows. I think you remember how often I complained about a "George Plimpton" spot? ;) But in opposition to some others I never took a side at all, I never joined a team in that beef. So I agree that GBs behavior was much better. But nevertheless I do not like any side blow in any direction. The past is done, it brought enough damage, so it would be nice if both sides will quit such allusions in the future.

Edit: I won't respond in that thread to that topic, if there are any more questions about that just drop an PN, but I guess I made my point clear :)

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 2

I have been super busy lately and didn't have a chance to get back to AA for a few days.

I am glad to hear that well over 100 copies of Piggy Bank sold. I was thinking this was a (30 copies sold only at a show) Blix type of thing.

In fact, if I recall, that was the intention? no? Being in the north-east, we never seem to get retro ( first gen ) events. Hartford did have a NES event a few months ago.

The year I planned on going to the Philly Classic... It didn't happen :(

It is nice to know votes didn't drastically exceed carts! I can even understand votes being higher than carts. Play with friends and sharing/trading games.

Like I said, I have no personal attachment to anyone involved, I was just trying to reconcile the numbers. Darn, to much accounting software work lately...LOL

Anyone here use Microsoft "Great Pains"?

I did think DZ-jay programmed the game at first. If he would have made this game, it would have a lot of animation like Christmas Carol. Then I think, maybe Groovybee could be the one who made it. He made no comments or likes on the subject. Nanochess would have the pig fire some sort of projectiles and multiplex them. I would have multiplex everything because I'm too lazy to use tiles. The animation like pig chopping scene and the sine wave game over tells me that's groovybee's style. I recall seeing 8 llamas sinewave movement in the highscore screen in Bover Hover. I'm definitely looking forward for more groovybee's game like Rocketeer, and Terra 8.

• Like 1

Now was goat nom made in 2015? If so that was the year of the goat.

Strictly speaking, it started in 2014 and most of the game mechanics happened then. BUT - much of the "finesse" in terms of the music and cutscenes, etc happened in early 2015. AND - it was submitted to the contest in 2015. That's a form of release.

Most games aren't conceived, programmed, and released in a nicely-defined 3-week timespan. Hell, even E.T. had 6 weeks! :lol:

Strictly speaking, it started in 2014 and most of the game mechanics happened then. BUT - much of the "finesse" in terms of the music and cutscenes, etc happened in early 2015. AND - it was submitted to the contest in 2015. That's a form of release.

Most games aren't conceived, programmed, and released in a nicely-defined 3-week timespan. Hell, even E.T. had 6 weeks! :lol:

I'm a Water Dragon... Never enough Dragons.