IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon - what you think?

vprette

It is only an official Coleco console because they paid for the rights to use the name and logo.

It's too early to say almost anything about the console because no details have been confirmed, but right now no people from the real Coleco will be involved, no Coleco or ColecoVision games will be a part of this system, and no Coleco intellectual property or company assets will be a part of this.

If you recall all the problems people had with the Retro VGS, most of them will still be problems for this new console.

You can make a new retro console in the same way you can bury ET cartridges in your backyard, wait 20 years, and then try to sell them for the same prices the real ET landfill carts went for.

River West Brands is actively working along with the RetroVGS team

River West Brands is working with the Retro VGS Team, which makes it a River West Brands console.

It is inaccurate to say this is a Coleco console, or Coleco is reentering the console market, or however you want to phrase it.

River West Brands is working with the Retro VGS Team, which makes it a River West Brands console.

It is inaccurate to say this is a Coleco console, or Coleco is reentering the console market, or however you want to phrase it.

Nah, they're both collaborating together

I don't think RetroVGS team wouldn't be able to go to Toy Fair without River West Brands

It's a new Coleco console, just not done by the former company

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are still interested in the Coleco Chameleon game system

Here's the catalog/flyer that will be available this weekend at Toy Fair in New York

The console is going to be shown and demoed for the very first time

I guess, we're going to have alot more informations about it next week

Anyway..... enjoy! :)

Coleco_Brochure_Final_01-30-16.pdf

• Like 5

For those who are still interested in the Coleco Chameleon game system

Here's the catalog/flyer that will be available this weekend at Toy Fair in New York

Is it just me or is this flyer kinda...whats the word I seek...lame. And not just because they misspelled ColecoVision on page one but it looks like the whole thing was written by an amateur and not very polished. E.g. paraphrasing - Coleco went on to sell 2.5 million cabbage patch dolls then 20 million were bought in one year. Umm, huh..

Is it just me or is this flyer kinda...whats the word I seek...lame. And not just because they misspelled ColecoVision on page one but it looks like the whole thing was written by an amateur and not very polished. E.g. paraphrasing - Coleco went on to sell 2.5 million cabbage patch dolls then 20 million were bought in one year. Umm, huh..

I couldn't say if it's written kinda amateur as my English must be worst than that...... I guess..... ;)

Again, I'm not involved in this , aside as being a game developer for them

I've talked with River West and they clearly seems to be excited to release brand new ColecoVision products

So my thoughts are now, we should just be happy to see new Coleco product

It's awhole lot better than their first portable things they first made.....

And maybe I,m being too critical. But stuff like heres what the experts are saying - Coleco is making a console. I mean its a little underwhelming if thats supposed to be an endorsement to generate some level of excitement or legitimacy .

Nah...

I always said, it's good to get critisms/comments as it's really how you improve yourself

otherwise, you wouldn't know...

:)

Again, I'm not involved in this , aside as being a game developer for them

I've talked with River West and they clearly seems to be excited to release brand new ColecoVision products

So my thoughts are now, we should just be happy to see new Coleco product

It's awhole lot better than their first portable things they first made.....

Care to share anything about the HW side?

I started the thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations

hoping to have an early peak on what the heck is under the hood.

Is this (https://www.facebook.com/jeanfrancois.dupuis.1238) you?

Edited by phoenixdownita

I'm not seeing the typo. Isn't ColecoVision (with the big V) the proper spelling? They seem to have latched onto it as their official brand name.

This so called "new" Coleco has this Brochure up on eBay to help generate funds so i'm glad Retroillucid posted the PDF here to save everyone from wasting their money. :roll:

lol. so that was the final version in the PDF. can see the misspelled "colecovison" on the cover of the ebay auction. :)

From Page 5:

"Founded in 1932, Coleco originally stood for Connecticut Leather Company. Moving away from leather supplies, Coleco turned to items such as dolls and tabletop games. With the success of Atari and Pong, Coleco produced their own home Pong console called the Coleco Telstar and immediately experienced their own success as they designed and produced 9 additional Telstar products."

Technically, the Telstar was not a "home Pong console" since Pong was a trademark of Atari. It was a home video tennis console, just like the dozens of others that were available.

lol. so that was the final version in the PDF. can see the misspelled "colecovison" on the cover of the ebay auction. :)

That is not the final brochure. there were several sent out for proofreading, the final one has the spelling corrected (I have seen it)

Chris Cardillo that represents the Coleco brand can confirm this :) The ebay auction is being corrected by Chris for the revised brochure.

• Like 4

That is not the final brochure. there were several sent out for proofreading, the final one has the spelling corrected (I have seen it)

Chris Cardillo that represents the Coleco brand can confirm this :) The ebay auction is being corrected by Chris for the revised brochure.

I just want to state that I hope I don't sound snarky when I offer my opinions or say anything else about anyone else's projects. I only ever aim to offer constructive criticisms, if I ever say anything at all. I support Chris and Mark in their endeavors with the brand that we all love around here, and I sincerely hope I do not contribute to any negative publicity. I know Chris is a really good guy who loves the brand too, and he knows that when we see "Coleco" printed on something, it better be top notch or it will leave a bad taste in the mouths of the faithful. For this reason I'm guilty of being a nit picker when I see the name "Coleco"... I don't want to be excessively anally retentive about it, but that name does have a special meaning to me. While I do wish they took a different approach with their promotions of the brand as a "company", I wish them all the best this weekend in New York, and I hope the Chameleon is a product that lives up to the legacy of the brand. We will all soon find out... ;)

Edited by HkryCrkStudio
  • Like 2

I just want to state that I hope I don't sound snarky when I offer my opinions or say anything else about anyone else's projects. I only ever aim to offer constructive criticisms, if I ever say anything at all. I support Chris and Mark in their endeavors with the brand that we all love around here, and I sincerely hope I do not contribute to any negative publicity. I know Chris is a really good guy who loves the brand too, and he knows that when we see "Coleco" printed on something, it better be top notch or it will leave a bad taste in the mouths of the faithful. For this reason I'm guilty of being a nit picker when I see the name "Coleco"... I don't want to be excessively anally retentive about it, but that name does have a special meaning to me. While I do wish they took a different approach with their promotions of the brand as a "company", I wish them all the best this weekend in New York, and I hope the Chameleon is a product that lives up to the legacy of the brand. We will all soon find out... ;)

Chris is wanting a Q&A session for the ColecoVisions Podcast - send questions to colecovisionspodcast@gmail.com. A list will be compiled and sent to Chris and then a special podcast will be done reading off the questions and Chris answering them :)

I feel the same way. As a historian, I just want to make sure that all of the facts are correct. Nothing irks me more than revisionist history, which is then deemed to be correct.

• Like 1