IGNORED

First generation where you no longer have a home console

MotoRacer

For me, this is the first gaming generation where I no longer have, nor want, a modern home console. I've had all three, but they just don't click with me. The games, for the most part (at least, the main AAA games) don't click with me. It's the first time this has happened. I still have a 360 with dozens of games. A DS with dozens of games. And I play some modern games like Rocket League on my PC. I technically have a modern day handheld, with the Vita, but we're talking about home consoles.

But for the first time, I don't look at any of the consoles and see any worth to me. Has this happened to any of you this generation, or a previous generation? I personally feel like the GC/XB/PS2 generation was the last one that felt like games were still traditional games. And they've just gotten worse and worse ever since.

• Like 2

All of my consoles are from the second generation up until the seventh generation. I do have one eighth generation and it's the Wii U. The current generation is a bit uninspiring for me. I am not into all of the constant updates, online gaming, longer games, unlocking and achieving trophies. I do enjoy the Wii U and some of the games I have for it. The Playstation 4 and Xbox One do not intrigue me as I can't seem to find a noteworthy game to catch my interest. The seventh generation era started the downfall with all of the updates, online, and social media for the system. It takes the fun out of it in my honest opinion.

• Like 2

Feel the same exact way here. The latest consoles and the constant nagging of updates have totally turned me off. Then there's the games themselves... as you guys said, uninspiring. Sold my Wii-U after a slower than shit start. I remember when I went to play a two-player game of Sonic Racing, one player was forced to game on the handheld screen. Idiotic!

PS3 which I still have, pisses me off as it is (can't stand slot loading players on top of it, so opted for the super slim) and won't be bothered to go anywhere near a PS4 or XBone. Can't see me being interested in modern gaming from here on out. If the Coleco Chameleon ever makes it out and the games are everything they're projected to be, maybe-just maybe, might spring for something like that. But a modern and mainstream optical based console? No thanks!

• Like 2

All of my consoles are from the second generation up until the seventh generation. I do have one eighth generation and it's the Wii U. The current generation is a bit uninspiring for me. I am not into all of the constant updates, online gaming, longer games, unlocking and achieving trophies. I do enjoy the Wii U and some of the games I have for it. The Playstation 4 and Xbox One do not intrigue me as I can't seem to finfmd a noteworthy game to catch my interest. The seventh generation era started the downfall with all of the updates, online, and social media for the system. It takes the fun out of it in my honest opinion.

This is very similar to my situation, save for the fact that I have a PS4 and Wii U, and do intend to have an Xbox One eventually- honestly though, there are really only two things keeping me going with the current generation- more support for the artsy indie games that I've come to love from modern gaming, and my utter disinterest in computer gaming/steam.

Trick is- the things I find unappealing about computer gaming are updates & patches cutting into my game time, internet connectivity & multiplayer being a key facet of the gameplay, too much focus on downloads instead of physical media, and trying to keep track of what games run on what system specs. These things have all creeped into console gaming- quite frankly, it's only the last one keeping me on consoles. If I buy a PS4 game, I know I can stick it into any PS4 and it'll run. If that ever changes, you can expect to see a 'how do I Steam' thread from me fairly shortly after.

I wouldn't mind having a Wii U for a select few games but there's no way it worth full price to me. I only got a Wii 2 or 3 years ago for $30 - $40 at the local flea market so I'll probably end up waiting for a situation like that with the WIi U. Just not really in any hurry. Couldn't care less for the other two. Only got an X-box 360 last year from a garage sale or I wouldn't have one of those. I can't play the vast majority of all these new games anyway without feeling like just spent two hours spinning around inside a giant centrifuge so I really don't have much interest in acquiring the consoles.

I have a wiiU, because I got a great deal. So since mega drive I have kinda all Generations (counting I can Play PS1 games on my PS2)

But yeah, this Generation is pretty weak. My 4 YO daughter Plays WiiU every day though. It's actually worth the Money for that. Basically just nintendo Land. But I have some other games she can Play too on it. But if the WiiU wasn't here she'd be playing something else.

• Like 1

This most recent generation was the first console generation since the Genesis/SNES generation that I didn't have any interest in owning a home console from it and never ended up buying one. I enjoyed both the Wii and Xbox 360 last generation, but none of the home consoles this time around interest me. The PS4 and Xbox One are pretty much identical in terms of game libraries and annoyances like online accounts, software updates, DLC, etc. and I really dislike the enormous controller on Nintendo's home console offering this generation.

That all said, I still think the 3DS is really neat and have every intention of buying a New 3DS if Nintendo ever releases the smaller regular sized version in black (or any color other than white really) in North America. :)

• Like 1

The most recent console that I own is PS 2, and I do not see that changing anytime soon.

For a variety of reasons, the Internet connection at my apartment is very slow and unreliable. Therefore, I have no interest in a console that requires an Internet connection to function properly.

I very briefly considered buying a Wii when the discounted/scaled-back model became available, but I simply could not find enough games that I wanted to justify the purchase.

Finally got a Wii U recently for Mario Maker and Yoshi's Wooly World. Before that it was Wii. I kind of wanted an Xbox 360 and PS3 just to stay on top of new games but couldn't muster the shits to give for them. Same with the Xbox One and PS4. If the developers would spend that glorious ROM size and cycle counts on creating a galaxy where I can fly from planet to planet ala Starflight then I would get interested. I detest the cinematic trend and it has really put me off modern consoles. I guess people dig that shit otherwise the publishers wouldn't do it. If I want acting I'll watch a movie. In a video game it just looks cringey watching photorealistically-rendered puppets flail around as their jaws flap. Give me a story but don't make me suffer through poorly animated characters. I don't care about the developer's aspirations to be a director and I don't care to see it. It was novel when Metal Gear Solid came out but now it's just obnoxious. And if the commercial for the game pretends to be a movie trailer then I instantly lose all interest. I love movies but there's something about cinematics in video games, particularly those games that attempt photorealism, that makes me grimace in horror. Give me abstract artwork and imagination. For now I'll stick to games that are games. Splatoon is some damn good fun.

• Like 3

It's this gen for me. The main consoles seem to be based on extremely low-end PC architecture, and on top of it aren't even very good at being PCs. Their gaming ecosystems are inferior to PC, control options now inferior not just to PC, but also to last gen's consoles, and they're less convenient to use with awkward patching and silly UI limitations. I switched to consoles from PC back in the 90's because PCs were just a pain in the rear--now I'm coming back for the same reason.

Of course nintendo doesn't really fall into that category--but I was never into nintendo systems for their first-party offerings, and now that most of the quality third parties have left them I'm not on board.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

This is the first generation that I have no plans to buy any console from. I still have the Wii, PS3 and 360 I bought early on and a second Japanese PS3 I bought to try to get decent picture quality out of PS2 imports. The only game from the current generation which interest me are the multiplayer modes of the Halo and Gears of War collections, which my local friends and I used to play a lot. I never bought any PS3 games either, which says a lot about how close the previous generation came to being my last.

As I continue to have less free time for games, I'd much rather spend it playing <32-bit stuff.

• Like 1

The newest system I've ever owned is a Dreamcast. I have friends with a PS3, and they're considering getting a PS4. The newer systems are impressive from a technical point of view, but I have no interest in spending hundreds to pick one up.

• Like 2

I guess it's it's this gen. I bought a Wii last gen. It really didn't feel like it was the same gen as 360 or ps4. The current generation just on Wii U seems okay, but it's lacking that Wow factor for me. While PS4 and XBone seem are pretty much just PCs so I just buy my hands of Steam for way less. The current gen is doesn't offer anything new to the table. But hey I'm glad PS4s are selling well.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's this gen for me. The main consoles seem to be based on extremely low-end PC architecture, and on top of it aren't even very good at being PCs. Their gaming ecosystems are inferior to PC, control options now inferior not just to PC, but also to last gen's consoles, and they're less convenient to use with awkward patching and silly UI limitations. I switched to consoles from PC back in the 90's because PCs were just a pain in the rear--now I'm coming back for the same reason.

Of course nintendo doesn't really fall into that category--but I was never into nintendo systems for their first-party offerings, and now that most of the quality third parties have left them I'm not on board.

I feel the same way. I got a good-speced laptop recently, and I can play my indie titles, my older games, etc. It runs those games sadly better than many of the Xbox One builds and PS4 builds I own. There's a couple games, like Guilty Gear Xrd that are great, but outside that, there's little point to owning a console, and those games are on PC.. so I'm covered.

Back in the day, SNES brought something to the table PCs didn't offer. Same with N64. Same with a lot of PlayStation games. Etc. Etc. Etc.

These days, I don't feel like consoles have a personality. They don't at all feel unique in any way possible. All people can boast about is slightly different resolution. Whoopidiwoo. On top of that, like I just mentioned, the games aren't entertaining for the most part, either. Nintendo does a good job I suppose (though, there's only so many versions of Mario or Mario Kart one can play...), but the Call of Duties, Halos, Assassin's Creeds, Battlefronts, Destinies, Watch Dogs, etc are all just huge disappointments. None of them compare to their older counterparts, and you just have to finally get to a point where you ask... why buy them?

And that's the point I've reached. I'll play EDF on my Vita. I'll play Rocket League, SFV, and guilty gear Xrd on my PC, but the rest I'm just going back to 80's and 90's era games where they actually felt like some effort went into them, instead of shitty yearly installments of the same thing.

• Like 2

The original Xbox was the last one for me. It was different and offered new experiences, like a hard drive, the ability to create your own soundtracks, and open ended gaming. After that system was discontinued, I stopped buying new systems and focused more of retro gaming and retro game collecting.

I remember a vast difference between console and PC gaming, both in the games and the "complexity" of the experience because PC gaming usually required setup and consoles didn't. Now those lines are blurred because 80-90% of game titles are also on PC and consoles are no longer plug and play.

After working all day in front of a computer, I used to really enjoy the simplicity of popping in a cart or a disc and playing a game. Starting with the last gen of consoles, that experience changed.

But it isn't just PC versus console, everything is different now. I've got some old PCs and Raspberry Pis as emulation consoles, a 7" Android tablet with a Bluetooth gaming controller that holds the tablet to make gaming awesome, and multiple modern PCs and laptops running Steam and anything else I'm interested in.

I don't have anything against current consoles, I just don't need any of them. There are now so many ways to get my gaming fix that owning a PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U isn't necessary for us.

• Like 1

I hear ya man. Constant updates, DLC, patches, and digital only games piss me off to no end. When I bought GTA 5 for my ps3, I couldn't even play it that night due to the 4 hours worth of updates it had to do. My ps3 is basically used as a ps1/ps2 with streaming capabilities as I only own 2 ps3 games and only plan on getting a few more. I have zero interest in the Xbox One outside of Rare Replay. Ps4 doesn't do much for me either at the moment. I'm slightly interested in the WiiU but not enough to justify a purchase. Nothing makes me say "I must have that!" Maybe if I actually enjoyed FPS games since that's all modern gaming seems to consist of for the most part. However if Crash Bandicoot shows up at E3 this year for his 20th anniversary, that would give me reason to get a ps4. Plus Yooka-Laylee looks really good too and I would finally be able to get a physical copy of Shovel Knight.

• Like 2

I have this on my profile page:

Need a Better Console

I won't be satisfied until I can buy a Grand Theft Auto style game where the buildings and other things are destructible (similar to Red Faction: Guerrilla), the trees can be climbed/chopped down/burned/shot up/blown up, the ground can be affected through digging/explosions/aircraft crashes/backhoe-like machines, the draw distance is realistic and nothing just pops up or spawns in front of you, and the people walking around are more intelligent and act more like real people in various situations (they wouldn't casually stroll through fire or do other things that make no sense). Let me drive, fly airplanes and helicopters, and use a GTA: SA style jetpack again. Just give me more stuff to do in a more realistic world, without actual real-world hassles that would ruin a game.

Most buildings in these games look like they are made out of cardboard with details painted on them. When I walk up to a building, I want to look inside of the windows and see depth, not a flat representation of the inside painted on the "windows." I want to be able to blow a hole in the wall or smash a window and go in. If I ram a car into the wall, I want the bricks to crumble as realistically as possible. The whole house should not fall down unless enough damage was done to other walls. In other words, if I smash into a house with a car or a hit a wall with a sledgehammer, I don't want some canned reaction; I want it to react in the way a real building or wall would.

Speaking of buildings, If I'm standing on top of a tall building, I should see very tiny people and traffic, not abandoned streets. I want to walk up to a wall and have the detail become clearer, not fuzzier.

For games like these that are supposed to have a realistic look, everything should look like they pointed a video camera at the real world instead of the fake-looking "photo-realistic" crap that we keep getting. I require a huge jump in graphics. I'd like my jaw to drop to the floor from awe overload. I want to say "I can't tell the difference between real video footage and what I'm seeing in this game. Everything looks real: grass, trees, buildings, people . . . everything! And the NPCs are acting and reacting like real people with individual personalities and voices."

I'm still waiting for that console.

• Like 2

I somehow someway feel disconnected from the essence of the "Game Program", what with all frivolities and stuff modern consoles make you go through. I'm also not a big fan of their user interfaces.

Besides, does the industry really really believe I'm going to be purchasing new games when I still have virgin material from 1977 for the Apple II ??

• Like 1

If the developers would spend that glorious ROM size and cycle counts on creating a galaxy where I can fly from planet to planet ala Starflight then I would get interested.

Is 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets enough to get you interested?

So far, this is the only game I have been excited about playing on my wife's PS4. I find it interesting that a small team of indie developers can create a universe sized game world that even they don't know what is in it. It makes me wonder what AAA developers could pull off if they changed their mindsets from movie directors to deities.

• Like 2