IGNORED

Super Smash Bros...still fresh and innovative or old hat?

Unbeliever

I was wondering now with the release of Cloud for your versions of Smash, are you still enjoying the game or is it getting stale for you? It's been out for a time, and I recently got a copy for my 3DS. I probably could "smash" most of the time and not get bored, but I'm sure some of you have done extensive plays on the game.

Does the DLC keep it fresh? Are you going, "ho hum"? Smash seems to be a staple for any Nintendo owner, either console or portable, but the franchise has been around since the dawn of the N64. I like the idea that I could buy new characters if I wanted (I liked the option to purchase Ryu...great character from Street Fighter), and since I just started it I have tons to unlock.

What about levels? Anyone in particular you enjoy? The Animal Crossing level is pretty fun to play your characters on but it's not for everyone.

So, post your thoughts here. I'd love to hear your ideas on the game and where you're going with it, or if you've shelved it.

I'm still playing the Gamecube and 64 versions when my friends come over, other than that I don't play any of the other ones. I tend to be pretty terrible at them so unless I'm paired with equally-terrible people I don't enjoy it that much to be honest.

My kids are obsessed with Smash Bros on the Wii U right now. The town library started holding monthly tournaments, so they practice a lot to better compete with the other kids.

I think the Wii U version is great and the DLC adds some interesting characters. The systems at the library have all the DLC but I haven't bought any yet... too expensive. But, the 'final' DLC characters are going to be released later this week and Nintendo will have a bundle with all of the DLC characters at a slight discount. Might buy if it's cheap enough. There's also a discount for buying the DLC content for both the Wii U and 3DS versions at the same time. If you buy for both systems, you get a redemption code for the opposite system so you can split the cost with someone who's playing on the other platform and pass the code along.

They also have DLC of extra stages and lots of extra costume pieces for Mii fighters. Not sure if I'd bother with those, but the Mario Maker DLC stage is really neat. Still waiting anxiously for my kids to unlock the Pac-Man stage that's included on disc... there's a ridiculous amount of unlockable content in the game.

I still love smash, but I will always be terrible at it ;). Its still a blast with friends and even has had impact outside of the game, such as introducing many people to Ness from Earthbound for the first time, and in a way helped the Earthbound fanbase become like it is today.

The game will always be fun, but I really only find it super fun to play if there's a group around.

On my own... it's not really my thing. I don't play online either, so that doesn't help.

I'd say overall, you can pick up and play just about any one and get the same basic experience.

The biggest difference between Melee, Brawl, and WiiU/3DS is the variety of characters.
I know many will argue for Melee being the better/tighter game (it is), but the latter two are still pretty good and mostly differ in character selection.

There's always fun to be had in Smash, but there's only so much content to last for a single person...I really miss the campaign. -_-

This is one of those that seems to stand the test of time. The Amiibo "gimmick" to add characters to the game seems okay, and I like the idea of it, but where I'm enjoying using Amiibo's more is in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. However, that being said, Smash is certainly fun and it will be interesting to see where Nintendo takes the franchise next.

Since I have no friends to speak of (that play video games I enjoy, anyway), I tend to play mostly by myself with the computer or go online and see how well I do against online players. Of course in that instance I usually get trounced...most of these people are so good at the game it makes my pitiful skills laughable. I get lucky once in awhile and come in 3rd perhaps, but as far as first place, there's not a chance. Unless all the other players are as bad as me.

You would think the spectating option would be a bore, but I actually enjoy watching other people fight and see how they do, and if I placed a bet correctly. Some play styles are poetry in motion with some Nintendo characters. These guys and gals are amazing. My favorite characters are Mario, Luigi, and Pac-man. I haven't done any dlc yet, but I'm thinking of picking up Ryu again, as I enjoy all his moves.

Old hat. Not necessarily a bad thing, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The issue I have isn't so much with smash, it's just that all Nintendo seems to make are the Mario's, Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda, rinse and repeat.

They have dozens of characters and IPs to produce sequels to, and the "most out there" we get is Pikmin. I mean, Pikmin is ok, but... where is F-Zero (who actually has a character in Smash)? Where is WaveRace? Where's a proper online Pokemon game on a console?

And when they do revisit an old IP, like Starfox, they have to force some stupid gimmick on it, and they don't take any risks with story or level design. Afterall, it's the reason we never got a sequel to F-Zero. Nintendo couldn't think of a way to shove a wiimote or tablet screen on the title to make it any better.

I don't mind so much that they rinse and repeat, I just wish it was on more franchises. Because with so few titles that they cycle through, the repetition feels really apparent and obvious, and it gets boring because of it.

That said, Splatoon was great. I wish they took more chances like that. Unfortunately, it's the only time this generation they really did.

Edited by MotoRacer

Unfortunately, it's blatantly obvious usually what direction Nintendo is going to go with a game from a series. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, for example, has a few new ideas but the game play is basically the same as with the others in the series. The inclusion of Paper Mario is interesting, but again, gimmicky.

It seems, from what I've been watching, is that tons of people still play Smash Bros all the time. I'm not sure I could do that, but occasional games are nice to play. I mean, how much of a craze is this fighting game, anyway? I'm just out of the loop, I guess, but games are going on all the time around the world. It just staggers my mind to the level of fandom there is for Smash.

I'm looking forward to getting some DLC for Smash down the road, but I'm not in a big hurry for it. It just makes me wonder what Nintendo is really going to do with their new NX system when it's finally released.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it was ever all that innovative. The heavy reliance on items and frenetic play was a thing pretty notable in Mario Kart. They just smashed a Nintendo themed fighter into the MK formula in my opinion. That doesn't make it any less awesomely fun, though. To me it's a pretty standard example of what Nintendo does. They take something that isn't necessary innovative but give it such a strong execution that it feels fresh.

My kids are obsessed with Smash Bros on the Wii U right now. The town library started holding monthly tournaments, so they practice a lot to better compete with the other kids.

Now that's cool! Especially since the library basically sponsors the event. And a far cry from that goofy movement of the 90's that had parents raging against dinosaur violence in video games. :lol:

Don't have much to add re: Smash Bros. (any of them) other than it was never my kind of fighting game. I can see where it'd be more fun multi-player though.

Smash bros has the Mario Party problem. With four players over, it's a blast. We're laughing. Teasing each other. Trying to hit each other's controller. But my yourself, or even online, it's quite boring. As a 30 year old, I just don't have tons of friends who still like to game, so titles like this just aren't entertaining to me.

Novel concept? Sure. But it just feels played out. And older versions just felt more unique and entertaining.

I agree. But on the "alone" concept still entertains me, even without friends. I'm pretty much the only person I know that owns a 3DS at this point, but I enjoy multiple plays against the computer opponents with different characters. I played this so much yesterday I drained the battery dry. But then again I'll go for longer stretches without touching it.

I also agree that the older games were more unique. I had Melee for my Gamecube and loves it, then again for the Wii when I had one of those. I don't own a Wii U, so I can't speak for that version, but the concept of bringing the game with me seemed pretty cool, and using Amiibos you have also was a novel idea for me, anyway.

Going into the Miiverse on the 3DS, I'm listening to the "cheap" combos and whatnot the new DLC character, Bayonetta, can do. Seems some are griping about her unstoppable combos and how to counter them with another particular character. I'm not into that aspect of the game, I guess. Not to that level of detail, anyway. The debates go on and on about each character and their abilities, but I just enjoy the game for what it is.

It seems to me that with competitive gaming so accepted now there's a much larger group of people playing that spend significant amounts of time pouring over stats and combinations in this type of game. I noticed it in the MOBAs as well when I wanted to get more into them because I liked the gameplay. I watched some videos for a while on DOTA 2, I think, and I found it interesting and fun but ultimately didn't have near the time I was willing to invest to feel successful. The 'numbers' approach isn't new by any means, but I've noticed it a heck of a lot more. That in itself seems to have impact the SSB DLC and balancing and also creates a sort of metagame on the internet that I think is more widespread now. When I look at it and go 'frenetic gameplay, lots of characters cherry picked from games, and an overture of levels from different franchises' maybe I'm selling it short. There is the other part that's been cultivated and supported through communication and maybe it's something to add into the mix.

The competitive aspects are certainly apparent. I wasn't into it for the competition and just play it to enjoy it. Sure, sometimes I go online and play against others, but most of the time when I do that I get the crap kicked out of me and come in fourth. Not that I really care, I don't cry over that sort of thing, but it's nice to win a victory over someone else once in awhile.

Most of the time it's just me and the computer opponents. And even they get clever from time to time with their moves. I prefer Luigi as my main character, then Mario, then Pac-man. I even have the matching Amiibo characters to throw into the mix. Hey, they put the function in there, I might as well use it.