IGNORED

Tekken Time! - Retro Reviews

Deep_wolf

Hello everyone! I'm not very often showing up lately, I've been working on some fun-history videos about TEKKEN series. It's in Russian, but there are English subs available for you.

Here is about first game:

Also about the second:

And the mighty third:

Don't know where to post these, but I think AtariAge forums are the right place for that. Hope you'll enjoy it!

I’ll gonna keep making videos about TEKKEN series in general, so subscribe to follow up with the videos!

Let me know what you think about it!

• 5 months later...

Oh man, I loved Tekken 2! :) It was one of the first games I got for my PlayStation.

I sort of missed the boat on the first Tekken--I was still into Mortal Kombat 3 and Super Street Fighter II, and Virtua Fighter to a lesser extent. And there was stuff like Battle Arena Toshinden coming out, so Tekken kind of flew under the radar for me. And Tekken 3 was amazing as well but I didn't play it as much since I had moved on to other genres by then (namely survival horror and FPSes...Resident Evil and Quake FTW!).

So Tekken 2 fell in that sweet spot for me, and I played the shit out of it. At one point I could even pull off the Yoshimitsu death combo. :-D And I loved that you could unlock and play as a bear, a kangaroo, a velociraptor, and even the devil! Outside of the Friendship and Babality finishers in the MK games (and of course "Toasty!"), I don't think any other fighting game at the time had Tekken 2's sense of humor. It was refreshing that it didn't take itself so seriously, and that made it a better game, I think.

• Like 2

Oh man, I loved Tekken 2! :) It was one of the first games I got for my PlayStation.

It was refreshing that it didn't take itself so seriously, and that made it a better game, I think.

Absolutely! Virtua Fighter also has same cheesy chars voices and animation, but I've played Tekken 2 back in a day on PS, and didn't even knew about any other platforms or fighting games of the era, except for Famicom clones, which was popular here in Russia.

• Like 2

I still remember my first experiences with PlayStation.

My first was at a kiosk, where they had Armored Core on demo. It was a night stage, with water around some grass and some buildings you could enter. I remember being absolutely floored with the freedom of the controls, and the sheer magnitude of what was possible in the game. I'm still in love with the game all these years later.

Anywho, outside that experience was when I first really played it. I was at a friend's house for a birthday party that went overnight. He had recently gotten a PlayStation. The games he had were Tekken 2, Twisted Metal 2, and FF VII. All three blew my mind in different ways, and they're honestly some of the most prominent memories I have of gaming till this day.

Tekken 2 probably started my obsession with blocky 3D era graphics. In fact, I distinctly remember not liking Tekken 3 because the polygons were smoothed out, haha.

I still play the game till this day, and I'm surprised how well they've aged. Animations and fluidity are not much worse than what we have today. It's a great series, and I wish it got more attention than it receives. These days it's treated like SF's ugly step child.

So yeah, it's in the top gaming memories for me. That would included the first time I played Pong, Super Mario Bros 1, Mortal Kombat, Sonic the Hedgehog, Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA, Mario 64, Armored Core, Tekken 2/FFVII/TwistedMetal 2, Jet Set Radio/Crazy Taxi/Marvel VS Capcom 2, and Rogue Squadron 2. After that, it kinda all became a bit predictable.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for a kind replies here! It's always cool to know how people lived back in a day.

Also, I've been adding for my videos English subtitles for your foreign viewers out there, since videos originally in Russian.

I'll complete all videos by the end of the August, so you can come back after and watch it all in a row.

So, there more that 2 hours of TEKKEN story for your pleasure, enjoy!