IGNORED

TI-99 - DOCs, Manuals, eBooks, Lost & Found

Schmitzi

Hi,

small update, same PDF, but with OCR now. Suddenly it was smaller, too :)

But please be careful with Copy&Paste, as there maybe many characters/numbers have been recognized wrong.....

Especially because of the fact that this is code.

And, again, is this for the HRD 3000 ?

thanks

xXx

Horizon-Ramdisk-1986-SOURCE+EN+GER_OCR.pdf

• Like 3

From a personal standpoint, I was once considering one of these RAM disk thing-a-majigs, but I'm not so sure I would ever need one now. This new FlashROM 99 stores a lot of stuff in non-volatile memory that is accessible rather quickly, and I don't really store a whole lot of data on the TI, so the data that I do have will have more than enough space, once Jim releases his DDCC-1 clone, for everything else there is the HDX.

• Like 1

From a personal standpoint, I was once considering one of these RAM disk thing-a-majigs, but I'm not so sure I would ever need one now. This new FlashROM 99 stores a lot of stuff in non-volatile memory that is accessible rather quickly, and I don't really store a whole lot of data on the TI, so the data that I do have will have more than enough space, once Jim releases his DDCC-1 clone, for everything else there is the HDX.

I could imagine that a RAMdisk is something very nice for developers/programmers, who need more disks available same time,

maybe for compiling and linking....

I think this can prevent from swapping many floppies, and access in RAM is faster, of course.

xXx

I used a Horizon RAMDISK but honestly started using my SCSI Hard Drive more as it had the space for me to load and save huge files larger then 1440 sector Source and List files.

The Speed difference was so small that it was worth the problem of not having to break up files to fit on onto several RAMDISK and having to organize a command file.

On SCSI Hard Drives I did not need a Command File or did I have to care about file size overrun.

Over time I love the Horizon RAMDISK, but the SCSI Hard Drives get 10 times more use for everything I do.

• Like 1

I could imagine that a RAMdisk is something very nice for developers/programmers, who need more disks available same time,

maybe for compiling and linking....

I think this can prevent from swapping many floppies, and access in RAM is faster, of course.

xXx

Oh I'm sure a RAM disk has a practical application/use for some people. I was speaking from a strictly personal perspective.

Sadly I only have two more "wants" on my current TI list, both items Ksarul say's he's working on. The first, is the clone of the Myarc DSDD 80 floppy controller and the second is a case shell for the FlashROM 99. After I get those two items, I just don't have a clue what I'm going to do next.

...so it´s better when this DD/80-things need some more time, and we all have things to dream about :)

A good alternative is the Myarc DDCC-1 with 80 track mod, but I almost use my one with 40 tracks only,

to keep compatible with other users.

And for reading 80trackers (Single Density), it is OK to use the TI-CTRL with the 80mod,

as most users use this, if they use 80 tracks.

But I never had incoming 80track-floppies to read, maybe once in 2 years.

And for the meantime, I use the HxC for the mass of code, but also with 40track-images only, too

Other user wouldn´t be able to read that (DS/DD/80), so it makes no sense for me.

At the moment. Maybe later, of course.

Would be nice to have some space of the FlashROM´99er mounted ass DSK10-DSK99 :)

but this is the story with the DSRs and the sideport, I think, and the need of a FD-Controller-chip.

But maybe it could be realized by pure software, I don´t know.

But this would very hard development work, for sure, and we have controllers for the sideport, and the NanoPEB.

For me, I am so happy with the possibilities we have today, there is so much to tinker,

and I need things to dream on :)

xXx

• Like 1

In ones personal journey down the TI path, there are a lot of different routes one can take. Some are forced one way, while another may choose to go a certain route, and still others only get committed after they have gone down a specific path long enough.

I'd like to see the elimination of the PC as a requirement in the support role, quite frankly, I'd like the TI stand on it's own. Currently we're not there yet, but there is one program out there, that with a couple of enhancements could propel the TI into that new age.

Disk drive format compatibility with others has not been an issue for me, because now days we have ways around that, so getting the most available storage capacity at one has been my major goal. I doubt there will ever be a "single card SSHD" for the P-Box, and I'm not willing to hang around forever to find out, the DDCC-1 clone appears to be the best option for me, and yes I do have faith that it will come to pass before the end of this year.

Things to dream on, yes that is nice, but with fewer days ahead, than what what's been put behind, I'd like to see some goodies before it all fades away or ends.

• Like 2

Nowadays, I don't see any more need to deprive ourselves of non-TI-99/4A support than TI itself did BITD. TI made liberal use of non-4A resources for 4A development.

I see your point, especially from a development perspective, however I'm "just a user", and again, from a purely personal perspective, I'd like to see my TI be able to hold it's own for daily every-day stuff....and we're getting closer. :thumbsup:

You see, I have a dream... I cannot wait for the day when I can proclaim...

"Free at last! Free at last! Good god almighty, my TI is free (of the PC) at last!" ;)