IGNORED

TI-99 - DOCs, Manuals, eBooks, Lost & Found

Schmitzi

Clean hi res (480dpi) zipped TIF files for you to read, ocr, pdf or print of the manual for:
  INDOOR SOCCER PHM 3024.
(c) TI 1980
Two players ONLY.
Designed in Bedford, England by Roger Tilbury. Outside the USA the only place where GPL could be programmed was Nice which was where the coding was done.  Roger also designed Video Games 1.
As a UK designed videogame it was only right that the module was demonstrated on BBC TV before it was moved into a module, on Tomorrows World, on 12th June 1980. You can watch Maggie Philbin with a TI joystick on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMReY2ReKqA
The game is inspired by 5-a-side indoor football, with some rule changes.

Roger Tilbury found perhaps more fame and national news in 2003 after some years fight,  by being one of the first IT contractors to win a claim against him by the Tax authorities who wanted to tax him at a higher rate as an employee instead of as an IT Contractor.

indoorsoccerthumb.jpg

IndoorSoccer.zip

• Like 5

Clean hi res (480dpi) zipped TIF images for you to read, ocr, pdf or print for:
Milliken Math Sequences: INTEGERS     PHM3094
Program by John Plaister     (c)1982 TI
For Grades 5 to 8 (USA), Year 6 to 8 (UK) or ages 10-14 elsewhere - probably quite usable at earlier ages.
Whole numbers up to 2 digits- positive and negative numbers, 32 levels
Covers:  + - / x > <  and ().    eg -5 x -6 = ? ??

intthumb.jpg

Integers (Milliken).zip

• Like 6

Clean hi res (480dpi) zipped TIF images for you to read, ocr, pdf or print for:
EARLY LOGO LEARNING FUN  PHM3144
Program (c)1982  Manual (c)1983 TI             Program by Sid Nolte
NB: Stand alone module, no extras required. Alpha Lock key should be DOWN.

The ZIP file here INCLUDES the cue cards- these are similar to those in PREOPP/3 supplied with the TI LOGO 2 package, but better designed- and then badly printed.  I have cleaned them up a bit.

The module includes LOGO procedures: BUILD, PARK, PEOPLE, DRAW, DALLAS, MOVE, HALT, MENU.
These are "Lamplighter" procedures. BUILD allows images of 31 blocks.
Designed for pre school children (suggested for 3 - 7 years of age).
"Designed to work only on the TI99/4A Home Computer"

earlylogothumb.jpg

earlylogo.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On to the big fat manuals now- in the early days TI had a lot of paper to use...

ZIP files of hi res clean TIF images at 480dpi for you to read, print, OCR or pdf for:
PHM 3008 VIDEO CHESS module.
Copyright 1978/1979 by TI.

At TIs request this module has both a "beginners level" of play option, and a further option for this to be "losing style" - the intent is that a raw beginner can use the module with a chance of winning and hence learn the game.  The "Intermediate" level is possibly too easy for regular / club players. The top level with long thinking times for the computer can easily be beaten by a top club player but should challenge most people.

Half of the manual is a tuition manual for the game of chess. Note that the keys to use are quoted in the text for the 99/4, the keys for the 99/4a are inside the front cover.  To assist you, the zip file includes images from elsewhere of the 99/4 overlay and a special 99/4a function strip premiered on this forum (TI didn't produce one)- thanks Omega.

The module supports game  saving to and loading from  cassette ONLY.

videochessthumb.jpg

VideoChess.zip

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A zip of clean hi res (480dpi) TIF images of the manual for:
HOME FINANCIAL DECISIONS   PHM 3006
for you to pdf, ocr, read, print....
(c)1979 TI
Distinctly American module based upon US law, tax, accounting practice and commercial practices of 1978. Topics are loans, residence, car, and savings.  A simplified introduction to the concept of "Present Value" and depreciation.

Quotes values to the cent when estimates, forecasts, guesses, approximations, probabilities, risks, unknowns may result in figures being out by hundreds or thousands of dollars. "Expected annual increase in market value" has a significant effect on results.
The module is not designed for use with a cassette, disk system or printer- pencil and paper time.
Remember when.... "you could deposit in a savings account paying 6%...".

Monthly property taxes "based on spreading the annual amount into an escrow account".
"Most of the input values are available from your realtor".

An overly ambitious and complex to use module but of historic interest as it is only number 6!

- I have found a small trove of digitised manuals from 2012, from one Jason Scott- is he on this forum or anyone know him??  I will check them out and post the clearer ones here- they seem very usable even if not at 480dpi.

homefindecthumb.jpg

HomeFinDec.zip

• Like 4

In among a large stash of computer documents (350,000 files) I found these documents.  Most of the files were for IBM360, Univac, Sperry- but with these poor lonely TI manuals...

I do not know the original source, but it does not seem to be on the internet at the moment.

The quality varies a little and is less than 480dpi, but enlarging to 300% still gives me a good clean legible copy, so quite usable.  And some I haven't heard of.

In alphabetic order here are:

BLASTO (USA)
COMPUTER MATH GAMES 2
FRACTIONS 2 (Scott Foresman)
HOUSEHOLD BUDGET MANAGEMENT
HUSTLE
JOTTO WORD GAME
METEOR MULTIPLICATION
MINUS MISSION
MOONBEAM EXPRESS
SNEGGIT
VIDEO GRAPHS

s

Blasto Manual.pdf Computer Math Games II Manual.pdf Fractions II SF.pdf Household Budget Management Manual.pdf Hustle Manual.pdf jotto_word_game.pdf Meteor Multiplication Manual.pdf Minus Mission Manual.pdf moonbeam_express.pdf Sneggit Manual.pdf Video Graphs Manual.pdf

• Like 8

Time for updated lists of manuals on line.   The text file contains an alphabetic list of the manuals on this forum, with the links directly to the posting.

The pdf is a combined list of manuals found on the internet in various places, listed in alphabetic order of the software with an indication of which website to go to for it, but NOT the specific URL (over 400 manuals listed now but still a few missing...).

Manuals of low quality or where otherwise a rescan may be useful have been excluded to avoid putting anyone off scanning...

s

omegalist.txt softwaremanualsamalgJan20.pdf

• Like 3

A zip file of TIF images for the module STORY MACHINE.

Although scanned at 480dpi as usual, the manual I have is itself a copy so the resolution is not as sharp as other scans.

I am engaged on scanning some of the thick early manuals and got bored so did this one for a bit of fun.

The stated age range is 5 to 9.

Programmed by Bill Mann.

(c)(tm)Spinnaker Software

storymachinethumb.jpg

StoryMachine.zip

• Like 5

On 12/9/2019 at 5:51 PM, FarmerPotato said:

This is a set of TI internal documents for the 99/4 Video Tape Recorder Controller. The engineer was Bill Goodwill.

It includes the schematic, drawings, and supporting design, test, and manufacturing documents. Also included are the common Design to Production Product Phaseover guidelines.

The VCR Controller was to share the RS232 sidecar case and power supply. The drawings show its own back panel and cable assemblies. According to the Peripheral/Product Spec, the flex cable to the VCR emerges from the side port, so the VTR must be the last peripheral in a chain. I wonder if this was the origin for the P-Box flex cable?

I found the documents in a single binder, in this order:

VCR Schematic_1
VCR Schematic_2
VCR Schematic_3
VCR Operating, Product and Peripheral Specs
VCR Owners Manual
VCR Two BASIC Programs
VCR Test Spec
Design to Production Product Phaseover
VCR Flex Cable Diagram
VCR Back Panel
VCR Parts List
VCR Pert Chart
VCR Cable Assembly
VCR Relay Requirements

Some BASIC programs are included. One parts list names a 4732 ROM (4K) that could have provided the DSR and BASIC support routines. Another parts list omits it. The Specs and Owners Manual describes a Command Module needed for programming. The Specs mention a DSR and refer to a MISSING VTR Peripheral Software Specification. An empty divider tab was labeled ROM/GROM LIST.

The Test Specs describe a ROM at CRU >1C00.

BASIC statements in the Owner's Manual include:

[....]

I think, here is one of the supported video recorders on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233480499890

image.thumb.png.714df3c72d68508a8f6784cfe325f573.png

Edited by Schmitzi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An unusual and very thick TI module manual in clean hi res 480dpi TIF images for you to read, ocr, print or pdf....
SECURITIES ANALYSIS  PHM3012
1980 TI
My manual had printed in it only the 99/4 keys to use, so I have added an optional inside front cover with the TI99/4A keys to use.
Investments have changed a bit since 1978/1979 when this was written, and as usual the manual is for USA taxation, law, and practice only at that historic time.
This module was unusual- instead of being part of a wide spread of generally useful modules this was deliberately targeted at a small niche market, to see if it was possible to sell consoles by selling software not generally available.  At a time when the US population was a bit over 200 million, TI estimated the total possible market was 600 thousand.

SecuritiesAnthumb.jpg

SecuritiesAnalysis.zip

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 7:44 AM, blackbox said:

On to the big fat manuals now- in the early days TI had a lot of paper to use...

ZIP files of hi res clean TIF images at 480dpi for you to read, print, OCR or pdf for:
PHM 3008 VIDEO CHESS module.
Copyright 1978/1979 by TI.

At TIs request this module has both a "beginners level" of play option, and a further option for this to be "losing style" - the intent is that a raw beginner can use the module with a chance of winning and hence learn the game.  The "Intermediate" level is possibly too easy for regular / club players. The top level with long thinking times for the computer can easily be beaten by a top club player but should challenge most people.

Half of the manual is a tuition manual for the game of chess. Note that the keys to use are quoted in the text for the 99/4, the keys for the 99/4a are inside the front cover.  To assist you, the zip file includes images from elsewhere of the 99/4 overlay and a special 99/4a function strip premiered on this forum (TI didn't produce one)- thanks Omega.

The module supports game  saving to and loading from  cassette ONLY.

videochessthumb.jpg

VideoChess.zip 18.56 MB · 12 downloads

My very first module for the TI and still my favorite! Regarding its play strength, it is unfortunately pretty weak overall, with an estimated ELO rating of 1100 according to this site, although I think it's probably closer to 1250 at the highest level. Nonetheless, it was a very well designed module to learn chess, much better in my view, both graphically and features wise, than the available programs for the other contemporary computers of the day.

I did have it compete several years ago against Sargon I (available here) and it beat it handily (Intermediate level 200s vs. Sargon level 3).

• Like 4

Tax/Investment Record Keeping   PHM 3016

One of the early utilitarian modules intended to make the TI99/4 a must have domestic purchase, but missing the mark slightly in terms of user friendliness and ease of use.  Did anyone ever use this?  Very much for the tax, accounting and domestic arrangements of the USA at that time.

VERY thick manual so it is in two separate zip files, pages 1-32 and pages 33-64.

TaxInvRKthumb.jpg

TaxInvRK_Pt1.zip TaxInvRK_Pt2.zip

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Clean hi res TIF images of the manual, zipped together, for you to read /print/ ocr/ pdf for:
TI LOGO SAMPLER   PHT 6070 / PHD 5070
(c) 1981 TI.. Six of the seven educational activities are designed for children aged 3 to 8, written by Coleta L Lewis at Lamplighter School, Dallas.
A tape or disk release which requires the TI Logo module, 32k expansion memory,  and either a cassette recorder or disk controller and disk drive.
The manuals supplied with the disk and the tape were identical.
My manual was punched for 3 ring binder but I did not receive a binder.
The zip includes a hi res image of the cassette label - the tape label was on one side of the tape only.
Manual page size was 216mm x 280mm.
Procedures: Bear, Squares, Picture, Patterns, Elephant, Fish, Frog, Horse, Spring.
Activities: Line, Paint, Target, Colors, People, Grid __, Listen.

logosamplerthumb.jpg

logosampler_tapethumb.jpg

LogoSampler.zip

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Zipped TIF format images of the manual for:
Myarc MEXP-1 Memory Expansion Card
for you to print, read, OCR or PDF.

This manual covers the 32k, 128k and 512k models.
Note- there is an extended section on using DATA files in Basic/Extended Basic which may be helpful if you are struggling with file access using floppy disks.
The 512k model could be configured to be used as normal 32k expansion plus a ram disk plus a print spooler.  The contents of the ram disk disappeared on power off.

The ram disk could be used in any language or module that allowed you to use a device name "RD." instead of "DSK1." OR it could be configured at the comand line to emulate DSK1. for those programs that did not allow RD. And for limited programs such as Multiplan which looked for DSK.TIMP, you could also have the RAM disk emulate disk DSK.TIMP.

There is also a note in the manual regarding assembly access to the ram banks- the 128k and 512k cards had 96k in four banks. From memory I think the Funlweb operating system could use this to tuck part of itself somewhere safe.

Myarc Extended Basic OS used/required the card but the card was very useful without Myarc XB..

myarcmemthumb.jpg

Myarc_Mem_Exp.zip

• Like 8

A good third party manual - 

The Missing Link

by Harry Wilhelm, published by Texaments.

A very useful extension to Extended Basic, requires 32k ram and disk system, allows bit map graphics.

Do note the detailed description of the use of stack space, and how to use less.  Notes some normal ExBas commands to be avoided.

Docs include the included smaller programs Paper Saver, Program>IV254 conversion (to use less stack); Font Chardef

The_Missing_Link_Thumb.jpg

The_Missing_Link.zip

• Like 6

In a zip of tif image files, clean 480dpi scans of the manual for
TUNNELS OF DOOM PHM 3042
for you to read, print, OCR or PDF.
Game designed and programmed by Kevin Kenney
(c) TI 1982
The zip includes a hi res scan of the red module label.
This is the detailed 44 page manual and is well worth rereading from cover to cover.
Note:  When TI issued the manuals for the 99/4a they added a note inside the front cover of the keys to use on the 4a but left the internal text which only referred to the 99/4 keys. For Tunnels of Doom the inside text was amended to refer to both consoles.  The text inside the front cover "Quick Reference Guide" is duplicated inside the manual plus an extra 14 keys.

Tunnels of Doom tribute website with interviews etc at http://ridingthecrest.com/edburns/classic-gaming/tunnels/

Tunnels of Doom BIN file for FR99 module plus requires 32k ram:
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/253095-%F0%9F%96%A5-flashrom-99-finalgrom-99-repository-02282020/?do=findComment&comment=3532106

ToD games in a dsk file for emulators- includes k-mart and doctor-
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/209562-new-tunnels-of-doom-games/?do=findComment&comment=2733723

The java reworking of Tunnels of Doom is now into version 1.2b and can be found with some converted datasets (Including kmart...) at http://www.dreamcodex.com/todr.php. 
 The ToD games are http://www.dreamcodex.com/download/tod_modules.zip and the reworked ToD in Java is at http://www.dreamcodex.com/download/todr.zip

tunnelsthumb.jpg

Tunnels_of_Doom.zip

• Like 8

Updated lists in alphabetical order of scanned manuals:
1. On this site- with the URLs of the appropriate pages for the document - in TEXT format
2. Across the Internet including this site, but with only generic locator urls, not leading to the specific document- in PDF format.

Some lower quality files are omitted to encourage higher quality additions.  If I have missed any good clean docs online anywhere please let me know.

s

omegalist.txt softwaremanualsamalgMar20.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1