IGNORED

TI-99 - DOCs, Manuals, eBooks, Lost & Found

Schmitzi

1 hour ago, blackbox said:

The Runaway Robot Replies has a letter from Stephen Shaw relating to TIHCUC and their response. In seven quarters TIHCUC managed to produced just five newsletters and then disappeared.

wow, did they really hijack that Club in some way ? ?

But we still read the TI*MES today ?  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Schmitzi- yes TIHCUC took over TI Home without any referral to the paying subscribers who found their thick and useful (slightly irregular) magazine replaced with a very thin zero content very irregular pamphlet....- Texas Instruments had decided a "professional"  "club" was required (the PRINTING was professional...)  and as TI Home was a one-man band rather than an effective club, it was easy to arrange. The subscribers got nothing and took their business elsewhere- to TI Exchange who published TI*MES which is still running!

Meanwhile- a little more for your entertainment,

Magazine Listings 2

computer and video games 16  Feb 83-lots of files and content
   cvg16pompeii is included for historic reasons, not because I expect anyone to read black print on a black background as the magazine ewditor did! To make up for this I have included a text file (txt) of the program so mangled.

There is also a pompeii note jpg which is a signed historic note from the game inventor.

This issue of the magazine included a supplement with another TI game this time well printed- see cvg16sup_01 to 04.tif for "Victorian Sewers" in high res.  Both Pompeii and Victorian Sewers were written by Stephen Shaw.

computer and video games 35 Dec84-pdf extracted from archive.org so not a very high res but mostly quite legible.
  Contains- 
  Long letter from Howard Greenburg of Arcade Hardware, long time seller of TI software and hardware based in Manchester. Howard is the person who obtained the Thorne-EMI games from Thorne.
  Review of Parco GOLF
  Games listing SEA DIVER by Nik Cain- not very clear, low contrast- I've not been able to bring this back- perhaps someone has better skills with photoshop than I do.  The original simply didn't have the ink to start with and was aggravated by using a fairly dark background.

personal computer world 8412- Personal Computer World (UK)  December 1984- a long letter from Peter Brooks, one of the very earliest UK TI owners, member of the first UK User Group and publisher of his own magazine and a commercial book....  this letter is about  GOSUB.  Extracted from archive.org

enjoy. s

MagListings02.zip

• Like 5

Scans from uk magazines from bitd....

Maglist three - all three games are included in TI Gamebase.

Computer and Video Games #22  8/83- Muncher by Philip Hinton, good clear print.
 Computer and Video Games, #24  10/83  Slalom by Stephen Shaw
     -a rubbish game using a none standard user interface for speed and little else- hangs head in shame.  The magazine needed a fast action game yesterday- and paid ten quid for it.  Nice clear listing though.  Note the first page has the end of the list, the second page has the start...

Games Computing July 1984= Sir Prance-a-lot by Neil Lawson, who moved to Honiton, Devon to work for Parco and played a large role with their TI magazine. Lots of page graphics and a listing that is minute, so in addition to full page scans there are separate listing scans at 1200 dpi.  In these listings the £ symbol has been used instead of a # symbol  so where you see a £ instead use a #.  Also closing brackets are not clearly shown especially at end of line.         the first page has additionally been repeated in inverted form as it is easier to read like that.

maglist3.zip

• Like 5

Zipped tif images - WHTMAGS1   -These are all clean hi res scans

First, some items to fill in gaps in the WHT collection:
These are for WHT magazines:
IUG PRESIDENTS NEWSLETTER 
  MARCH 1983
  AUGUST 1983

These are for WHT user groups section:
    TIHCUC ISSUE 5 SUMMER 85. The last of the five pamphlets they produced.

BLUEGRASS 99 (Bytemonger)- December 1987- an important issue with Wesley Richardson's article Count 99999.    

And more generically:
A page from Creative Computing August 1981- a review of Music Maker module

And yet another instruction manual, for Asgard BALLOON WAR

whtmags1.zip

• Like 5

Some good clean hi res scans as TIF images- magazines you may not have seen.

These are to fill empty places on the wht website if someone would please add them there....

1. Futura News  - a vendors newsletter from Futura Software, Vol 2 N1, Jan 1982
   May be fairly rare?

2 A User Group newsletter- OTIUG (Ottawa) v12 N7 Sept 1993 
  Not much in this one but it is missing from the wht OTIUG collection.  

3 & 4- A magazine published by a UK Retailer-
       TI-USER (UK-Galaxy), editor anonymous but probably Simon Sorsbie of Lantern Software, the magazine was distributed from TI Dealer Galaxy in Maidstone, Kent.  The magazine ran to at least 6 issues- and is fairly rare although there is at least one listed program in TI Gamebase.
       Issue 1- dated August 1983, with a long listing for a game "Scrumper" (I couldn't find it in the Gamebase) and a short listing for "Creatures"- which is in the TI Gamebase.
       Issue 2- undated.  Introductory articles on expansion options. A short TI Basic program called Meteors and an XB game called Trax by A J Frampton.

whtmags2.zip

• Like 7

WHTMAGS3

Some rare magazines not in the WHT collection- please  add them!

From Feb 1981, V1 No 3 issue of 99/4 Home Computer Users-Group Newsletter, poages 1,2,3,7,8 - published  by Charles LaFara in Oklahoma City.

From the UK:
Issues 1 and 2 of Tidings, Feb 81 and Mar 81. Quite rare.

Issues 3 and 4 of TI-User, Galaxy, Maidstone, dated Feb 84 and May 84.

Each magazine in its own zip for easier handling

994HCUG_v1n3_Feb81.zip tidings_No1_Feb81.zip tidings_No2_Mar81.zip ti-user_galaxy uk_No3_Feb84.zip ti-user_galaxy_uk_No4.zip whtmags3.txt

• Like 7

More rare UK magazine scans zipped into individual collections of tif images.
These are currently missing from the WHT archive- please would someone insert them there, thanks.

The WHT archive has a good set of newsletters from the East Anglian Region (EAR) but currently omits the first three- so here they are,  Issue 1 of May 87, Issue 2 of June 87 and Issue 3 of July 87.

The magazine Tidings from the first UK Group TI Home is poorly represented in WHT so here are Issue 3 of May 1981 and issue 4 of July 1981.  In the early days the masthead title of Tidings came and went but later became the norm.    July 1987 was the last of the thinner issues, as there were only 18 members, the UK console was about to be released and after that membership - and magazine size- grew fast with the later magazines often exceeding 100 pages!

EAR (East Anglia) V1 N3 July87.zip EAR (East Anglia)_V1_N1_May87.zip EAR (East Anglia)_V1_N2_Jun87.zip tidings v1 n3 May81.zip tidings v1 n4 July81.zip

• Like 5

Got the above dates wrong, reference to TIHOME Tidings being thicker after July 1987 should be July 1981 of course, but you spotted that...   there will be a delay before I move on to the very thick Issue 5.  First I'll fill in a few small omissions from the wht collection...  next up will be the initial issues of Peter Brooks "TI-Lines" from April 1984.   Looks like a weekly schedule to post these...    s

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I think I have some really strange inconsistencies in my list, concerning "Extended" and "Expanded Basic",

"Winkler" and "Apesoft", and "Cartridge" and "Disk", that I am struggling and changing for years now...

I did some filtering for this short list here, any comment very appreciated

thank you

grafik.thumb.png.35803a029256f22d9d2c2829e5018bda.png

• Like 1

Line 140, Column A: It was manufactured in the US, not EU. Line 140, Column F: Amerisoft/APESoft. The software is the same as the offering on line 178, with the only difference being an English manual. Line 844 and Line 178 reflect the same product (duplicates). Column A should reflect EU/Austria and Column F should just show APESoft.

Asgard's release of Extended BASIC 3 was always on a PoP-Cart, so Lines 849 and 850 are duplicates. It was a US release. Note that Winfried did release Extended BASIC 3 on disk in EU/DE as a set of GRAM files on Disk for the HSGPL. You could change one of these entries to reflect that--and no Asgard involvement at all on the disk.

Line 855, Column E: same as TI XB. Worked with console, but worked better with 32K.

Lines 857/858, Column E: Worked with console when not using APESoft, but required 32K to use the APESoft routines. Also note: these two entries are effectively the same, as Mechatronic provided owners of Mechatronic XB cartridges (Silver Label) with updated boards and labels to change their cartridges to the II+ version once they sent their original board in. A lot of folks never changed the labels--but most of them did update the boards, making the original TI licensed version a bit HTF.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Line 140, Column A: It was manufactured in the US, not EU. Line 140, Column F: Amerisoft/APESoft. The software is the same as the offering on line 178, with the only difference being an English manual. Line 844 and Line 178 reflect the same product (duplicates). Column A should reflect EU/Austria and Column F should just show APESoft.

Asgard's release of Extended BASIC 3 was always on a PoP-Cart, so Lines 849 and 850 are duplicates. It was a US release. Note that Winfried did release Extended BASIC 3 on disk in EU/DE as a set of GRAM files on Disk for the HSGPL. You could change one of these entries to reflect that--and no Asgard involvement at all on the disk.

Line 855, Column E: same as TI XB. Worked with console, but worked better with 32K.

Lines 857/858, Column E: Worked with console when not using APESoft, but required 32K to use the APESoft routines. Also note: these two entries are effectively the same, as Mechatronic provided owners of Mechatronic XB cartridges (Silver Label) with updated boards and labels to change their cartridges to the II+ version once they sent their original board in. A lot of folks never changed the labels--but most of them did update the boards, making the original TI licensed version a bit HTF.

Super, danke ! :)

So this is the result:

grafik.thumb.png.7d1bd6306e1a62e346d26c701ada7cb4.png

• Like 3

Rare UK Magazines to add to the WHT archive if someone would be so kind!!!

This week we have another very rare UK user magazine- the first three issues
of TI-LINES which was produced by Peter Brooks in Oxford.   This ran for a full three 
years.   By the third volume the size had stabilised at 32 pages per month, almost all written by Peter, and the name had changed to International TI Lines to reflect some sales to overseas owners....

Peter tended to report forthcoming TI products which never passed the dream stage, you need to take reports of new products fairly lightly unless there is another source of the information.  Peter also planned many major projects for which he never had the time, and most things that he had planned never happened.

Peter moved on to live in the USA as a technical writer, and left all his TI things behind.

Introducing you to TI-Lines with Issues 1, 2 and 3 dated April, May and June 1984 as TIF images in their own zip files.  Issue 3 is historic as it announces to the world (less than 20 readers) the birth of my son.

Next week:  look forward to Issue 4 of TI-Lines and Issue One of the UK Parco magazine (32 pages- August 1984).  I think it better to mix them up a bit rather than concentrate on one title.
s

ti-lines v1 n2 May_1984.zip ti-lines v1 n3 June 1984.zip ti-lines_v1 n1 April 1984.zip

• Like 7

On 5/20/2021 at 2:01 AM, blackbox said:

Rare UK Magazines to add to the WHT archive if someone would be so kind!!!

This week we have another very rare UK user magazine- the first three issues
of TI-LINES which was produced by Peter Brooks in Oxford.   This ran for a full three 
years.   By the third volume the size had stabilised at 32 pages per month, almost all written by Peter, and the name had changed to International TI Lines to reflect some sales to overseas owners....

Peter tended to report forthcoming TI products which never passed the dream stage, you need to take reports of new products fairly lightly unless there is another source of the information.  Peter also planned many major projects for which he never had the time, and most things that he had planned never happened.

Peter moved on to live in the USA as a technical writer, and left all his TI things behind.

Introducing you to TI-Lines with Issues 1, 2 and 3 dated April, May and June 1984 as TIF images in their own zip files.  Issue 3 is historic as it announces to the world (less than 20 readers) the birth of my son.

Next week:  look forward to Issue 4 of TI-Lines and Issue One of the UK Parco magazine (32 pages- August 1984).  I think it better to mix them up a bit rather than concentrate on one title.
s

ti-lines v1 n2 May_1984.zip 7.18 MB · 11 downloads ti-lines v1 n3 June 1984.zip 6.2 MB · 11 downloads ti-lines_v1 n1 April 1984.zip 4.52 MB · 12 downloads

uploaded heres a pdf of april lmk if it looks OKti-lines_v1 n1 April 1984.pdf

• Like 4

Here is a rarity from the UK, what came to be known as Issue 1 of the Parco TI99/4a magazine (August 1984). Parco was a retailer based in Honiton Devon. 

Please could this be placed on wht as a magazine called PARCO V1 N1

This was - as it turned out- a one off produced by a joint venture between the UK and Holland. The joint venture issue 2 never made it, instead we had a magazine put out purely by Parco.  The first all-Parco magazine was known as Parco Issue 2- that will follow in a couple of weeks, it is 40 A4 pages.

Parco was Frances Parrish, who was assisted by Harry Pridmore. Later programming assistance was supplied by Neil Lawson.  Harry later went out on his own as "NewDay".

parco (uk) v1 n1 Aug 84.zip

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Here is Part 1 of the PARCO Magazine Issue 2.  December 1984.

Part two will follow tomorrow.  Big magazine with lots of listings.

Zip file contains tif images.

At the time this magazine was printed it could have been issue 1 or 2 or 3- when the dust settled the agreed status was that this magazine was PARCO TI99/4a MAGAZINE ISSUE 2. (December 1984).

This confusion was due to problems producing a joint venture magazine with a Dutch concern- joint venture magazine already in this thread.

PARCO was a TI99/4a only retailer in Honiton Devon.

Parco (UK) v1 n2 Dec 84 Part 1.zip

• Like 6

Here in a zip file is a collection of TIF images scanned from what seems to be a very rare user group magazine  - definitely one for someone to add to the wht archive collection:
San Fernando Valley Times Number 45, December 1989.

This magazine is mostly written by Ken Gilliland (Notung Software) with a page added by Ray Kazmer.
The photographs are not too great- back in the day photocopying machines reproduced images in pure monochrome with no greys/grays. I've done what I can.

In the list of board members is one Bernard Falkin. Possibly not a widely known name in the community- but Bernard was one of only TWO American TI users who found their way to my home (although two Brits who visited are now US residents). He took video of me using my TI (what happened to that?  I know he showed it to Ray Kazmer...)
s

SanFernandoValley_Times_No45_Dec89.zip

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 6

Two UK user group magazines, as zipped collections of tif images.
Returning to TI-LINES from Peter Brooks in Oxford, these are also quite rare and contain interesting content.
I followed Peter's exploration of module calls when I was exploring the Advertizer module calls.

Today here is TI-LINES (UK) V1 N4 July 1984 and TI-LINES (UK) V1 N5 August 1984.

(post script to yesterdays post- I heard from Barnard Falkin, he has not touched his TI since 1989- sigh!)

ti-lines v1 n4 July 1984.zip ti-lines_v1_n5_Aug84.zip

• Like 5

Today an Australian user group magazine that is missing on wht- this is a gap filler, please add to wht...
TISHUG NEWS DIGEST V9 N1 Jan/Feb 1990 - PART ONE.
32 pages of A4 means this is a two parter!  Part two tomorrow.

The zip file contains each page as a separate tif image for you to ocr, read, pdf or print.
This first part includes a colour monitor interface for a specific monitor (Blaupunkt), notes on Superbug II, Extended Basic Tutorial, a review of The Brain, and instructions and listing for Pewterware's "Up Periscope".  Also the subject index for Tishug ND for 1989 (author index continues in part 2).

tishug news digest v9 n1 JanFeb1990_Pt1.zip

• Like 5